• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Manning developed some Goodwill with making the tournament and the 18 class. But then we had a dumpster fire last year very similar to the second year and there's no recruiting momentum now from all objective sources. It's not poison it's reality

I understand the thought process here, keepin' it positive and all, but he had more than damaging attrition - he mis-managed the team

If you don't at least acknowledge that, you'll just be seen as the 180-degree flip side to the doom and gloomers

No, I'm definitely with you here. I've attended 95%+ of our home games over the last 2.5 decades and this was one of the most pathetic coaching jobs I've witnessed. I like to toe the line and find the middle ground and I'm also guilty of searching for sunshine that may not be there. To me, as previously stated, next year is put up or shut up time for Danny. Nothing short of an NCAAT appearance should warrant him another year IMO.

I just also see the positive direction that our current players and this class COULD take us in. Hope I'm right for all us!

No, I'm definitely with you here. I've attended 95%+ of our home games over the last 2.5 decades and this was one of the most pathetic coaching jobs I've witnessed. I like to toe the line and find the middle ground and I'm also guilty of searching for sunshine that may not be there. To me, as previously stated, next year is put up or shut up time for Danny. Nothing short of an NCAAT appearance should warrant him another year IMO.

I just also see the positive direction that our current players and this class COULD take us in. Hope I'm right for all us!

Stay creamy, Creamy!

I am most concerned about lil Chill and Crawford. Neither seem to know how to play guard. Both beyond stupid with the ball. Not sure how to fix it, but if ignored we will suck again.

The poison seeps in deeper. We have a top 20 player and a great class, and this is your thought....

I can see past my nose Wrangor. I'm looking for sustained success, not a last 4 in type of year. We are definitely losing Crawford and Moore in 19 and Hoard has publicly stated he wants to be a one and done. Can't wait for the excuses to come out when the bench is bare and our class of 19 recruits will be counted on to contribute.

I actually think Chill does know how to play PG, and would like to see him start there with Crawford at the SG. I have always thought that he was one of those guys who would really shine as a junior and senior in our program. I Think we saw flashes of it last year. As a junior I expect him to bring consistent solid play from the PG position, and be a real pest on defense. We have no excuse to not be a top 50 defensive team next year (assuming Craw and Moore stay). If they don't stay we won't be nearly as good, and Manning will probably be looking for another job, but I think they suit up for the black and gold next year and we have an excellent season.

Chill
Crawford
Brown
Hoard
Moore

Bench is a post grad guard who can shoot it and gets a lot of run, Mucius, Sarr, Melo. That is a 9 man lineup that is very talented. If Wright Jr. or Lewis give us anything year one that is a bonus. Crawford needs to play 35 minutes a game next year and forget the NBA and just play basketball. If he is meant to be a pro, he will be one. Scoring an extra 3 points isn't going to make a bit of difference in his draft prospects. Leading a team to a deep post season run is going to be the biggest factor in his trajectory.

The lack of recruiting momentum for 2019 is certainly a concern, but I still think it is a little early to panic. I would like to see us in the market for one or two traditional transfers, who would be eligible in 2019 (or earlier, if the rules change).

But beyond that, there seem to be 2 likely scenarios, each of which give me a little comfort:
1- We suck in 2018-19 and Manning is gone. Makes lack of 2019 recruits less of an issue because a coaching search would likely mean any 2019 commits would be looking for an exit anyway. New coach means new start.
2- We are good in 2018-19 and Manning is able to parlay that success (and job security) into a couple of decent 2019 recruits later in the process.

The lack of recruiting momentum for 2019 is certainly a concern, but I still think it is a little early to panic. I would like to see us in the market for one or two traditional transfers, who would be eligible in 2019 (or earlier, if the rules change).

But beyond that, there seem to be 2 likely scenarios, each of which give me a little comfort:
1- We suck in 2018-19 and Manning is gone. Makes lack of 2019 recruits less of an issue because a coaching search would likely mean any 2019 commits would be looking for an exit anyway. New coach means new start.
2- We are good in 2018-19 and Manning is able to parlay that success (and job security) into a couple of decent 2019 recruits later in the process.

#2 is essentially what happened in 2016-17 albeit with Chaundee already committed for 2017. 2017-18 didn’t turnout so well.

Hoard Committed on August 26 and Mucius committed in mid-September. There is certainly no guarantee that we are going to have a good class, but at this point there is no reason to panic. Manning and Chill are putting in the work. It is certainly a more difficult sell when you win 11 games, but coaches have done it before, and our staff has proven to be a good set of recruiters. 2019 is so important for the long term success of our program, and our staff is smart enough to know that. They will continue to put in the work.

There are several reasons I don't like Brandon starting next to Craw. First, It leaves us with no real back-up PG. Second, I think Sarr will help us more than Brandon. It's very likely that Sarr will start the season at 240/245 without losing any of his plus mobility. As good as Hoard seems to be, I'd much prefer him playing more at his natural position of SF. I also think Chaundee will be better at his natural position SG.

Our starting D will be better having full-sized people at each position.

The bottom line is Craw is a better PG than Brandon.

#2 is essentially what happened in 2016-17 albeit with Chaundee already committed for 2017. 2017-18 didn’t turnout so well.

Two things I'd say to that:
1- Sarr was a late in the game pickup... Jury is still out there, and he is a unique case (France), but he's the caliber of player I was referring to (Top 100-ish)
2- When I say "we are good in 2018-19," I mean better than First 4 good.

Clearly, there is a chance that we are "good enough" for Manning to stick around, but not good enough to keep the 2019-20 roster from sucking... That would be very bad. But it is still way too early to panic about the 2019-20 roster... We didn't have anyone in the '18 class until May last year (Wright Jr).

Hoard Committed on August 26 and Mucius committed in mid-September. There is certainly no guarantee that we are going to have a good class, but at this point there is no reason to panic. Manning and Chill are putting in the work. It is certainly a more difficult sell when you win 11 games, but coaches have done it before, and our staff has proven to be a good set of recruiters. 2019 is so important for the long term success of our program, and our staff is smart enough to know that. They will continue to put in the work.

Hoard was considered in the bag for several months before he committed. Mucius was considered highly likely for months as well.

There are several reasons I don't like Brandon starting next to Craw. First, It leaves us with no real back-up PG. Second, I think Sarr will help us more than Brandon. It's very likely that Sarr will start the season at 240/245 without losing any of his plus mobility. As good as Hoard seems to be, I'd much prefer him playing more at his natural position of SF. I also think Chaundee will be better at his natural position SG.

Our starting D will be better having full-sized people at each position.

The bottom line is Craw is a better PG than Brandon.

This probably isn't the thread for this, but things are dead around here anyway.

Brandon is fine as a PG. I like him playing with Crawford. It's college... These guys should both play close to 30+ minutes a game, meaning they can easily cover the 40 point guard minutes between them (even if they play together a lot). Also, we have Lewis (ostensibly) & Wright (more of a combo?), so spot minutes at PG probably aren't a huge issue.

I like Sarr primarily at the 5, with spot minutes at the 4.

I don't know what Hoard's natural position is... The more I see him play, the more I think that he could excel as a college 4 (with Brown & Mucius getting most of the run at the 3).

Looking for 6'4" Nat Dixon to play a lot of minutes at the 2. Expecting him to be a good athlete and defender given he was a WR at BC. Yes, I know he isn't even on the roster yet, but I am hopeful.

Childress/Crawford/Brown/Hoard/Moore sounds like a good team (on both sides of the ball). Dixon/Sarr/Mucius a solid bench. And maybe one of Melo/Lewis/Wright can give us some productive minutes, as well.

Hoard was considered in the bag for several months before he committed. Mucius was considered highly likely for months as well.

Kind of. I remember that there were some concerns about Hoard in the summer months when some other programs came calling. A lot of that was probably unfounded nervousness given Giles was still fresh in everyone's mind. And Mucius was written off by a lot of folks after we signed Hoard because they were both listed as wings.

But yeah, there is no doubt that we had more recruiting momentum and positive vibes at this point last year. There is still a lot of time in the cycle, though. And Manning will get a lot of time w/ some recruits when he is coaching the U18 team in May/June (event is June 11-17).

Kind of. I remember that there were some concerns about Hoard in the summer months when some other programs came calling. A lot of that was probably unfounded nervousness given Giles was still fresh in everyone's mind. And Mucius was written off by a lot of folks after we signed Hoard because they were both listed as wings.

But yeah, there is no doubt that we had more recruiting momentum and positive vibes at this point last year. There is still a lot of time in the cycle, though. And Manning will get a lot of time w/ some recruits when he is coaching the U18 team in May/June (event is June 11-17).

A year ago, we were hyped because Sarr committed and many took that as a sign that Hoard moved from near lock to sure thing.

Jalen Hoard retweeted a couple Sarr to Wake Forest tweets. It could just be because they're friends or it could be VIBES... decide for yourselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Definitely vibes because we all know it's happening

Mucius was a question mark at that point very much because of Hoard, but the point is we knew his name and we knew we were recruiting him hard and we knew we had a good chance. Are there any 2019 prospects we feel that way about?

Reading through more posts from a year ago, there was a tweet and post saying we're still in good shape with Wright. Wright also listed his top 6. There discussion about Devin Dotson dropping Wake after we had been discussing him for awhile. I can't think of any 2019 prospects that regularly come up in this thread like Hoard, Mucius, Wright, and Dotson had last year.

Last edited:
I think Chill is a natural point guard but Manning and/or coach Chill forces him to try and score more than he wants to, because that's what they did. I also think the dribble/drive (as opposed to a more X's and O's style attempt at setting up wide open shots through picks and cuts approach) is a core component of Manning's offense; which is all well and good if you can do it. When you look back at Dino's offenses, that's all they did (and mostly what Kentucky does), but you have to have some talented players to do it. Our guards (Craw, Chill, Chaundee and Key) rarely pass the ball after they draw a double team. When our offense is clicking, passing off the dribble drive is the difference. Just think about how many forced layups into double teams you've seen Chill, Craw (who is actually good at them), Key and Wilbekin throw up over the years when they could have passed the ball to the man who just came over to stuff their shot. Think of those rare times we jumped off the couch this past season when Craw oop'd it to Moore. It's not science. It's a philosophy, and I'm not sure our players are receiving the right message.

Last edited:
Back