• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Are we considered the favorite for any top 100 guy right now? This thread is so sad.

Are we considered the favorite for any top 100 guy right now? This thread is so sad.

We are right there with Pitt, Arkansas-Little Rock and Marist for a guy who hasn't been assessed yet, so there's always a chance he ends up top 100, or maybe even top 15. We have that going for us, I think. And if Ranger's posts are any indication, we are offering everybody a scholarship right now.

What if we just offered everyone in the Top 100 a scholarship? Might be a worthwhile recruiting strategy. Create some competition for our scholarships.

What if we just offered everyone in the Top 100 a scholarship? Might be a worthwhile recruiting strategy.

Buzz Williams has 51 open offers for 6 spots in 2019 according to the Verbal Commits. That apparently doesn't include those kids who have already eliminated the Hokies from consideration.

Buzz Williams has 51 open offers for 6 spots in 2019 according to the Verbal Commits. That apparently doesn't include those kids who have already eliminated the Hokies from consideration.

Dont get in the way of their narrative tagsfan. The only reason this thread sucks is because there are about 5-10 posters who continually aim to drag it into the gutter. Our staff is working hard and is in the mix for a lot of really good players. Our odds of landing a top 15 class again are understandably not as good as last year, but there are some who will take any piece of news and spin it down the drain all the while pining for other coaches who are doing the exact same thing.

We haven't had a top 15 class under Manning.

We haven't had a top 15 class under Manning.

Was supposed to be a 2 instead of 1. Point stands. It will be tough to put together as good of a class as last year. Doesn't mean we aren't in the mix for some good players that can really help us, no matter who is coaching us.

Again when your coach is going in to year 5 and has one of the worst records in ACC history you can expect the fan base to be highly skeptical. I don't really understand why anybody would expect it to be any different than that.

Thanks for trying to post something thoughtful Wrangor. When there's no concrete news your's is the only voice worth any notice about basketball.

Again when your coach is going in to year 5 and has one of the worst records in ACC history you can expect the fan base to be highly skeptical. I don't really understand why anybody would expect it to be any different than that.

Ron must have some great pics of Wrangor. I don’t get it either. Anyone not skeptical = delusional.

i think a lot of you have confused the meaning of skeptical and miserable. Even Manning’s supporters (including myself) have been somewhat skeptical that he could succeed here.

Constantly working to feign optimism when there's almost no evidence for it seems miserable to me. You say potatoe, I say we suck monkey nuts.

Very few people if any are feigning optimism in this thread. We are merely attempting to discuss the prospects without sounding like Eeyore. Should we have no encouragement when we get the last visit from a top recruit? Or if we are mentioned as in the hunt for a very good player are we supposed to immediately say ‘doesn’t matter, Manning sucks anyway’?

Regardless of whether Manning stays or goes, our recruiting is the future of our program. We should all be hoping for success in that arena regardless of the views of our current coach on the court.

Very few people if any are feigning optimism in this thread. We are merely attempting to discuss the prospects without sounding like Eeyore. Should we have no encouragement when we get the last visit from a top recruit? Or if we are mentioned as in the hunt for a very good player are we supposed to immediately say ‘doesn’t matter, Manning sucks anyway’?

Regardless of whether Manning stays or goes, our recruiting is the future of our program. We should all be hoping for success in that arena regardless of the views of our current coach on the court.

Yep, I agree with this. Personally I don't think Manning has what it takes to make the changes necessary to make him a good coach due to his basic stubborn nature, but denigrating everything associated with the program constantly sure doesn't help either and reminds me of a 2 year olds temper tantrum. Moreover, as long as the real problems Wellman and Hatch are here, it ain't gonna change

We are all hoping for success in recruiting. everything since the beginning of the basketball season really hasn't pointed to that. Another reason for the skepticism.

We are all hoping for success in recruiting. everything since the beginning of the basketball season really hasn't pointed to that. Another reason for the skepticism.

Bingo. Who here isn’t hoping we land an awesome class? And yet who here is highly confident we will? Fan Police must be an exhausting job.

Yep, I agree with this. Personally I don't think Manning has what it takes to make the changes necessary to make him a good coach due to his basic stubborn nature, but denigrating everything associated with the program constantly sure doesn't help either and reminds me of a 2 year olds temper tantrum. Moreover, as long as the real problems Wellman and Hatch are here, it ain't gonna change

AKA our situation is lousy, but we are not allowed to feel lousy about it.

If we hold onto the nucleus of our team, Brown/Hoard/Sarr/Chill/Mucius, then it isn't a must that we have a top-20 class in 2019. Top-40 or better would suffice. I'm really hoping we can land Omar Payne in next years class. He and a couple 3/4 stars is all I'm after.

I think the point was that people go way over the top and try too hard to make EVERYTHING negative. Being negative is fine, but the constant overly-negative reactions to basically everything is quite annoying, because it happens with things that should not have a negative spin.

If we hold onto the nucleus of our team, Brown/Hoard/Sarr/Chill/Mucius, then it isn't a must that we have a top-20 class in 2019. Top-40 or better would suffice. I'm really hoping we can land Omar Payne in next years class. He and a couple 3/4 stars is all I'm after.

Do you think we'll be able to get him out of Florida? I'd imagine that Florida and FSU have him near the top of their target list.

Do you think we'll be able to get him out of Florida? I'd imagine that Florida and FSU have him near the top of their target list.

I know it wasn't directed to me, but my hunch from talking to people says we have a pretty good shot. My intuition, however, tells me the Florida schools will be very difficult to beat out for him.

Back