• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Oh goodness - here comes 3 pages of "I thought blah blah blah..."

One of the new assistants at Chipola, Tim Peete, played at Tulsa for Manning. In what may turn out to be an ironic twist, he was a grad assistant at UNCG for Wes Miller.

Verbal Commits shows Lorng as committing to Wake but being at Chipola JC. I assume that means he is our first 2019 verbal.

Probably hasn't updated to reflect that Wake admissions didn't let Lorng in for 2018.. If he is in JC, he won't be at Wake........EVER.

Probably hasn't updated to reflect that Wake admissions didn't let Lorng in for 2018.. If he is in JC, he won't be at Wake........EVER.

Nah, it was shown as update dated yesterday and his individual page lists the college.

This is not necessarily true. It is difficult for JCs to come to Wake but not impossible or unheard of... Assuming he was qualified under NCAA standards out of HS, it is conceivable we would let him in later as a transfer. If admissions really turned him down out of HS I would say it is probably unlikely that they would later let him in as a transfer - but, stranger things have happened.

This is not necessarily true. It is difficult for JCs to come to Wake but not impossible or unheard of... Assuming he was qualified under NCAA standards out of HS, it is conceivable we would let him in later as a transfer.

If he qualified out of HS, he would be at Wake right now.

If admissions really turned him down out of HS I would say it is probably unlikely that they would later let him in as a transfer - but, stranger things have happened.

If Lorng becomes the first player we make an exception for on this one, I'll probably just go ahead and stop following Wake basketball all together.

This is not necessarily true. It is difficult for JCs to come to Wake but not impossible or unheard of... Assuming he was qualified under NCAA standards out of HS, it is conceivable we would let him in later as a transfer. If admissions really turned him down out of HS I would say it is probably unlikely that they would later let him in as a transfer - but, stranger things have happened.

The only rumor as to why Lorng was a know show at Wake was Wake admissions. Apparently some of his classes at his US HS in KY didn't pass muster with Wake. Even a post HS year at Hargrave apparently couldn't put enough lipstick on the pig.

I have not heard anything about his status with the NCAA Clearinghouse. I would lean toward not passing because he is in JC and not some other four year college.

The other plausible scenario (given the reported "commitment" is that Danny really wants him at Wake and this is the route Wake admissions "suggested" as possible entry to Wake.

Given the story so far, I won't believe he is a Wake student until he shows up and attends class. Until that happens he is just the latest Artis Gilmore.

Wasn't Derrick "the Windex" Hicks a JC transfer back in the early/mid 90s playing for Davey O?

Wasn't Derrick "the Windex" Hicks a JC transfer back in the early/mid 90s playing for Davey O?

Yes, he came to Wake from Anderson JuCo. BUT that was when Wake still recognized junior colleges as places that conducted education worthy of acceptance at Wake.

He was the center in 1991-1992 and 1992-1993. He was replaced the next year by some swimmer who got tired of dodging sharks in the ocean.

Last edited:
Yes, he came to Wake from Anderson JuCo. BUT that was when Wake still recognized junior colleges as places that conducted education worthy of acceptance at Wake.

He was the center in 1991-1992 and 1992-1993. He was replaced the next year by some swimmer who got tired of dodging sharks in the ocean.

Sean Allen came from JUCO. As did Konner Tucker. Both had started off D-1 and then transferred to juco before coming back to D-1 at Wake.

Sean Allen came from JUCO. As did Konner Tucker. Both had started off D-1 and then transferred to juco before coming back to D-1 at Wake.

Which means they qualified out of high school, which seems to be the unspoken standard for Wake.

He already cut us out when he released his top 8. We are so screwed, will need to do a full rebuild AGAIN after Hoard leaves 1-and-done and DM gets canned come March.

Which is why forward thinking fans wanted to fire Manning. There’s no good outcome from this.

He already cut us out when he released his top 8. We are so screwed, will need to do a full rebuild AGAIN after Hoard leaves 1-and-done and DM gets canned come March.

he was rightfully pissed that we posted that compilation video from the other Anthony Walker

who, I'm just sayin', reminded me of a thicker Antwan Scott

If he qualified out of HS, he would be at Wake right now.

-Really? You know this how? It is quite possible that he is qualified as far as the NCAA clearinghouse goes but that Wake wouldn't admit him for some reason.

If Lorng becomes the first player we make an exception for on this one, I'll probably just go ahead and stop following Wake basketball all together.

I don't think we are going to make an exception for the "must be qualified by NCAA standards out of HS" rule for JUCO transfers for this guy or anyone else.

Which is why forward thinking fans wanted to fire Manning. There’s no good outcome from this.

giphy.gif

LOL at painting the Fire Manning crowd as "forward thinking" vs other schools of thought. Especially when nothing has even played out yet.

Honestly, I understand the frustration and wouldn't have been upset if he was let go after last season. But in retrospect, I am not sure the pool of candidates was all that compelling this offseason. Who changed jobs that we potentially missed out on? Please don't say Wes Miller and/or Jeff Capel.

I am hoping Manning shows significant improvement this year and can put together a decent 2019 class... But I am also hopeful that we see a quality pool of candidates emerge should that not happen.

To clarify, I am not saying the lack of compelling candidates was a reason to keep Manning. I am just saying that I don't feel like we missed out on anyone... Though I could see how you could paint this season as a lost opportunity to move on.

Regardless, I am excited to see this year's team on the court.

Back