• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

I feel like Harris will end up at VT, but hoping we can land him. Would fill a position of need, has major talent, but more importantly is a very complete player, which means he should be ready for major minutes right away (which we are going to need for the 19 season at PG.

Wake certainly could find minutes for Harris. However, don't lose sight of the facts: Wake should have the same players at PG in the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons. Brandon Childress and Jamie Lewis, with possible spot minutes from Sharone Wright, Jr.

Brandon has been competent. I don't expect him to be all-ACC. Jamie Lewis is an enigma at this point, both because he is a freshman and because he hasn't played competitive BB in two seasons while recovering from injuries. Will he be the top 75 guy he was before he got hurt or will the injuries and layoff limit his game?

Possible scenarios for Anthony Harris, arriving at Wake in fall 2019 for the 2019-2020 season:
1. Becomes starting PG because he is THAT GOOD and puts (Sr.) BChill and (Soph) Jamie Lewis into backup roles.
2. Primary backup PG to BChill and Jamie Lewis is relegated to spot minutes.
3. Spot minutes only player behind BChill and Jamie Lewis.

I don't see scenario #1 happening. So Harris may go elsewhere.

(Wake FB could have used another Anthony Harris. 4* safety from Havelock, NC, committed to Tennessee.)

Let's not get too excited, they always find a way in the end to swoop in and snag someone else's long recruiting work. Reclassification is also his specialty.
Oh, Duke is still going to be very good and get good top 50 players, but K and his current staff are not going to be pulling in multiple top 10 players per class, like they were with Capel as the head recruiter. Which was my point. If they want to continue doing that, they will have to bring in someone new, instead of elevating a current assistant.

If you've followed the stories of Duke transfers the last few seasons you would know that Coach K is not good at managing the prima donnas. It wouldn't surprise me to hear some drama this season with Zion Williamson.

Wake certainly could find minutes for Harris. However, don't lose sight of the facts: Wake should have the same players at PG in the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 seasons. Brandon Childress and Jamie Lewis, with possible spot minutes from Sharone Wright, Jr.

Brandon has been competent. I don't expect him to be all-ACC. Jamie Lewis is an enigma at this point, both because he is a freshman and because he hasn't played competitive BB in two seasons while recovering from injuries. Will he be the top 75 guy he was before he got hurt or will the injuries and layoff limit his game?

Possible scenarios for Anthony Harris, arriving at Wake in fall 2019 for the 2019-2020 season:
1. Becomes starting PG because he is THAT GOOD and puts (Sr.) BChill and (Soph) Jamie Lewis into backup roles.

(Wake FB could have used another Anthony Harris. 4* safety from Havelock, NC, committed to Tennessee.)

I agree with this. If people think BChill is going to give up his his minutes/starting role easily as a Senior, they haven't been watching him. He's a competitor and he's improved each year. I'd like to see him get back to the pass-first mentality he had as a Fr, but he defends hard and doesn't make completely awful decisions. He was also the 2nd best 3pt shooter on the team last year behind a guy whose basically only real value was as spot-up shooter, Mitchell Wilbekin. Harris is a top 50-player, not a top-20, meaning he's a guy like Chaundee who needs time to adjust. A guy in that situation isn't necessarily assured to be better than a guy who has been in the system for 3+ years.

I'd love to have Harris, but if wants to start immediately, it's not a guarantee here and that may impact things.

Wake will need a point guard recruit in the fall of 2020. Either to be the primary backup to Jamie Lewis, or to be the starter. It would be good to get somebody in the fall of 2019 who would be able to get his feet wet and get acclimated to ACC level BB and Wake academics without the pressure of being the starter at PG.

Harris would be a good get for this scenario. He could learn watch ACC level intensity is from watching and practicing against BChill for a year, and playing some. Then he would have his shot to compete against Jamie Lewis for the starting PG job in fall 2020. Harris is rated about where Lewis was before all the injuries dropped him down the rankings.

I agree with this. If people think BChill is going to give up his his minutes/starting role easily as a Senior, they haven't been watching him. He's a competitor and he's improved each year. I'd like to see him get back to the pass-first mentality he had as a Fr, but he defends hard and doesn't make completely awful decisions. He was also the 2nd best 3pt shooter on the team last year behind a guy whose basically only real value was as spot-up shooter, Mitchell Wilbekin. Harris is a top 50-player, not a top-20, meaning he's a guy like Chaundee who needs time to adjust. A guy in that situation isn't necessarily assured to be better than a guy who has been in the system for 3+ years.

I'd love to have Harris, but if wants to start immediately, it's not a guarantee here and that may impact things.

Has Chill improved some?? Meh a little. Went from 35% 3 FG % and 35% overall to 38% from 3 and overall, but that is still not a good overall FG% and worse of our top 6 players last year. Went from averaging 7 points/2 rebounds to 9/3, but his avg. mins increased from 21 to 26, so really not much improvement in efficiency. 3 assists/ game to 1.5 TOs last year which is meh for a PG. If Harris can either be a scoring threat or is a great disher of the rock he definitely would get mins, as not sure Chill hasn't hit his ceiling. I really hope I'm wrong and either he finds a mid range jumper/tear drop like his ole man or starts to nail 3 balls, but not sure that is going to happen and wouldn't expect a big dramatic improvement in #s given his size/speed and general BB abilities.

Still visiting duke, cancelled Miami as Netflix hinted towards as s possibility. Down to duke wake and VT, with duke having yet to offer.

I had a brain freeze. For some reason was thinking that Chill was a senior. Clearly Chill is not going to give up his spot easily (and I think he will be a league average or above point guard the next two years). There are still plenty of minutes up for grabs for Harris in the first year as the primary backup, and playing together with Chill (Manning has no problem going small). Obviously as a sophomore, leadership of the team would be wide open.

Duke would be such a mistake for him because 1. No guarantee that Jones goes to the NBA after this year 2. He's not a 1-and-done and he will be recruited over in 2020. If he commits he could end up being Jordan Tucker part 2.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he did commit because he seemed to be holding out on us even though we've been recruiting him forever.

Duke would be such a mistake for him because 1. No guarantee that Jones goes to the NBA after this year 2. He's not a 1-and-done and he will be recruited over in 2020. If he commits he could end up being Jordan Tucker part 2.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he did commit because he seemed to be holding out on us even though we've been recruiting him forever.

Perhaps part of the hold out with Wake has been the loss of his primary recruiter on the Wake staff. It may be taking some time to rebuild that kind of relationship with another member of the Wake staff.

I've also seen an article where he was talking about IU standing out even though IU hasn't even offered him. I think he's holding out for a bigger, better deal. He'll probably go to Duke and sit on the bench forever.

More than a point guard for 2019, Wake needs at least one big in fall 2019. Smart is a one year guy as a grad trans. Other than that, Wake may have Sarr, Hoard and Okeke. The first two are questionable, as either one or both could go pro after the 2018-2019 season.

Next biggest guys are Mucius and Eggleston.

Back