• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Hopefully Wynn and Johnson move along. No offense to either but I think they'd be better suited elsewhere.

We also still have the option of Childress walking on and using his dads discount for his senior year.

Agree that Johnson at least needs to move along. he's not an ACC player, and we need to let the kids play to see whether they are

I thought that Childress, as a recruited player, counts against the limit regardless of where the money comes from; otherwise Alabama could hoard scholarships by giving academic scholarships to 5-star football recruits

You know this how? Would like to think it is true but we really have no reason to think RW gave him any such ultimatum given the circumstances...

Can't say but its true. trust me.

And of course Manning gets an evaluation each year, just like any other coach does in the athletic department. The yearly eval may not go the way many here would desire (i.e. resulting in termination), but evaluations happen every year.

Hopefully Wynn and Johnson move along. No offense to either but I think they'd be better suited elsewhere.

We also still have the option of Childress walking on and using his dads discount for his senior year.

I wouldn't be so quick to run Wynn out of Wake. He looked like a freshman. Guess what? He IS a freshman. He showed a few flashes of good things. Made freshman mistakes. He was a 3 star recruit. Standard wisdom is useful player as junior/senior. Keep him around and let him become that useful junior/senior.

Torry Johnson has already had 5 years on college basketball teams. He is what he is. Year six expectation is essentially repeat of year 5. The question will be: is there a better option available to Wake?

I wouldn't be so quick to run Wynn out of Wake. He looked like a freshman. Guess what? He IS a freshman. He showed a few flashes of good things. Made freshman mistakes. He was a 3 star recruit. Standard wisdom is useful player as junior/senior. Keep him around and let him become that useful junior/senior.

Torry Johnson has already had 5 years on college basketball teams. He is what he is. Year six expectation is essentially repeat of year 5. The question will be: is there a better option available to Wake?

If Torry comes back should his nickname become Van Wilder?

Can't say but its true. trust me.

And of course Manning gets an evaluation each year, just like any other coach does in the athletic department. The yearly eval may not go the way many here would desire (i.e. resulting in termination), but evaluations happen every year.

ChilTron thx for the info. Just to clarify, are you saying Wellman himself is the one giving Manning the specific advice (demand? order?) to change how he runs practices and his defensive strategy? It seems like granular stuff for an administrator with no basketball background to tell the head coach. Wouldn't a coach with any gravitas tell Wellman, "thanks for the tips, but I'm the basketball expert here so I'll run things my way. You can fire me if you don't agree."

I'm honestly asking this, as I don't know what's normal protocol for AD post-season eval meetings with the various coaches. I just can't imagine Clawson, Grobe, Prosser, Odom, et al. to react well to an AD (who's not from their sport) advising on how to run practices, etc. I can envision an AD having input into things like players' academic performance, behavioral stuff, and demanding certain bottom line W/L results.

Do you really think Wellman has the capacity to critique what a basketball coach is doing wrong, and needs to improve?

Wellman may not be able to know WHAT the basketball coach is doing wrong, but even Ray Charles could see that something, probably many things, are wrong. Perhaps Ernie Nestor provided some points of emphasis to Wellman on his way back to retirement. That was Nestor's mission while he was on Wake basketball staff.

I don’t know anything about to torry Johnson personally but If he has strong leadership skills then he is worth keeping around. Having a 22 /23 year old who has been around the block and can drop some knowledge on the young guys, as well as be available to play 6 to 8 minutes when needed would be valuable for a fragile team with a worthless coach. If he is not leadership material, prob best to tell him to move along.

I don’t know anything about to torry Johnson personally but If he has strong leadership skills then he is worth keeping around. Having a 22 /23 year old who has been around the block and can drop some knowledge on the young guys, as well as be available to play 6 to 8 minutes when needed would be valuable for a fragile team with a worthless coach. If he is not leadership material, prob best to tell him to move along.

Too many leaders in the locker room isn't exactly a good thing. We'll have Childress, Brown, and White to provide veteran leadership. It's not like Johnson has been to the postseason or anything. And Manning is an idiot who loves to overplay unproductive upperclassmen.

This will be his sixth year in college...won't he be 24/25?

So you're saying Wynn In? I can get behind that, but he needs to start shooting the piss outta the ball like B-Chill said he is capable of.

Every time that I see Torry Johnson I think of Lamont from the movie American History X.

Lamont-american-history-x-33639618-200-200.jpg

So you're saying Wynn In? I can get behind that, but he needs to start shooting the piss outta the ball like B-Chill said he is capable of.

I don't evaluate freshmen the same as fifth (or sixth) year players.

I'm willing to see how big of the usual freshman to sophomore improvement he makes. Also, 8 more months of Ryan Horn treatments may make a difference.

If BChill says Wynn can shoot, maybe what he needs is some confidence to do it against P6 competition. He came from upstate NY. He may not have played much against high level competition.

If Wake is to avoid being perennially young, kids brought in as known projects shouldn't be pushed out before expected "completion" date, unless there are major red flags of sub standard progress.

I'm willing to see how big of the usual freshman to sophomore improvement he makes. Also, 8 more months of Ryan Horn treatments may make a difference.

If BChill says Wynn can shoot, maybe what he needs is some confidence to do it against P6 competition. He came from upstate NY. He may not have played much against high level competition.

If Wake is to avoid being perennially young, kids brought in as known projects shouldn't be pushed out before expected "completion" date, unless there are major red flags of sub standard progress.

I'm with you. I'm just bracing myself for his inevitable departure. The last 5 years gives us a <10% that Wynn makes it to his senior year with us. My thought process is to replace him with a kid who may be able to contribute more for the 1-2 years he decides to be at Wake. I'm all for a good underdog success story, so hopefully Wynn ends up being the next Gary Clark or Harvey Hale!

Wynn's final 2 years of HS were in Charlotte.

Wouldn't a coach with any gravitas tell Wellman, "thanks for the tips, but I'm the basketball expert here so I'll run things my way. You can fire me if you don't agree."

Wellman fired the last coach to stand up to him like that. That's one of the biggest issues...Wellman is a basketball moron, yet he has micromanaged the program the last 9 years.

Callin BS on the "ultimatum." especially that it happens every season. this team in the last game was the same trash we were watching game 1 of his tenure...just different names on the back of the jersey. You cant have shit results like this while also being told something will happen if nothing changes..shit id say we were WORSE this 11-20 season than last years. Fuck Wellman. Fuck Manning. And Fuck anyone who is still cheering for Wake basketball...you are the problem here

Callin BS on the "ultimatum." especially that it happens every season. this team in the last game was the same trash we were watching game 1 of his tenure...just different names on the back of the jersey. You cant have shit results like this while also being told something will happen if nothing changes..shit id say we were WORSE this 11-20 season than last years. Fuck Wellman. Fuck Manning. And Fuck anyone who is still cheering for Wake basketball...you are the problem here

This is Manning's worst year.

It's a little hard to understand what Wellman told Manning this year that will inspire so much change when what he said after the also very bad Y2 and Y4 seasons was clearly pointless.

Back