• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

By no means am I advocating for this approach, but have you all seen this tweet that has been going around regarding the Texas Tech starting 5 and their recruiting rankings?

Texas Tech starting 5
Tariq Owens - 185th in 2014 3⭐️
Jarrett Culver - 312th in 2017 2⭐️
Davide Moretti- 132nd in 2017 3⭐️
Norense Odiase - 358th in 2014 2⭐️
Matt Mooney- Unranked 0⭐️

That’s impressive. I hadn’t seen that.

I want guys who want to win, regardless of rank.

That’s impressive. I hadn’t seen that.

I want guys who want to win, regardless of rank.

Yeah. Wanting to win in one’s chosen sport is such a rare quality among basketball players. I guess that’s why only one team wins the championship. It’s the players who actually want to win.

Yeah. Wanting to win in one’s chosen sport is such a rare quality among basketball players. I guess that’s why only one team wins the championship. It’s the players who actually want to win.

Oftentimes, teams such as UNC will have a squad with 2nd,3rd and occasionally 4th year players who didn’t go pro because they wanted to come back and compete for a title with their teammates. I believe Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and UVA have all had guys like that over the past decade.

That is what I want at Wake, and it’s something we’ve lacked under Manning. See Doral, Craw, Hoard, Dinos.

I

Players are prioritizing making money as soon as possible, oftentimes making the wrong decision, rather than wanting to come back and compete for wins with their teammates. I understand this is the climate in college basketball as a whole, but there are still players who care more about winning games in colllege and competing for championships, rather than jumping to the pros at the first opportunity.

I want those guys.

Yes, there is a bit of a distinction between wanting to win and prioritizing winning.

They can win games in the pros, too.

Oftentimes, teams such as UNC will have a squad with 2nd,3rd and occasionally 4th year players who didn’t go pro because they wanted to come back and compete for a title with their teammates. I believe Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and UVA have all had guys like that over the past decade.

That is what I want at Wake, and it’s something we’ve lacked under Manning. See Doral, Craw, Hoard, Dinos.

I

I don't think Doral, Craw, Dinos or Hoard thought or thinks, hey man, if I come back, we could compete for a title!!! I think in the case of Craw, he thought, hey man, I could come back and we could slog through another fucking year!!! And some version of that for the others as well.

An unusually strong competitive streak is most definitely an asset for an athlete, but that's obviously secondary to having actual athletic talent.

For Wake Forest basketball, the problems run a lot deeper.

it makes me steam through my ears listening ti mannings ridiculous answers when asked a question he has no business answering. Imagine him being your boss and you have to do everything he says. I dont think id last 1 season, let alone come back if I had other options

I

Players are prioritizing making money as soon as possible, oftentimes making the wrong decision, rather than wanting to come back and compete for wins with their teammates. I understand this is the climate in college basketball as a whole, but there are still players who care more about winning games in colllege and competing for championships, rather than jumping to the pros at the first opportunity.

I want those guys.

Sounds like Ron Wellman circa 2010. I thought we were past this.

By no means am I advocating for this approach, but have you all seen this tweet that has been going around regarding the Texas Tech starting 5 and their recruiting rankings?

Texas Tech starting 5

Owens and Mooney are both grad transfers. Looking at their high school rankings is not that relevant. Hard to image how Culver was overlooked. I guess he just kept growing.

How is it not relevant since they're senior/grad transfers ?

Sounds like Ron Wellman circa 2010. I thought we were past this.

If that's what you took from my posts then you aren't comprehending what I'm saying.

I'm not saying we need to not go after top 25 talent. We need a combination of high 4/5 star players to go along with 6 of 7 solid college players who would rather stay that extra year in college than go make $75K in Europe somewhere. The goal for these kids is to to make money, and I understand that, but we need guys who can wait an extra season to start their professional careers. I am not talking about the John Collins' of the world - he made the right decision and only decision that makes sense IMO.

I'm not saying we need to not go after top 25 talent. We need a combination of high 4/5 star players to go along with 6 of 7 solid college players who would rather stay that extra year in college than go make $75K in Europe somewhere. The goal for these kids is to to make money, and I understand that, but we need guys who can wait an extra season to start their professional careers.

I don't think our issue has been with the players.

I don't think our issue has been with the players.

Danny is the bigger issue. Not arguing that. But we have many other threads to discuss Danny. This is the recruiting thread where we talk about players and the type of players that are a good fit for our program.

Every successful team we've had in my lifetime has been built exactly the way I'm talking about.

Texas Tech starting 5

coaching and playing defense, something we have not had together - if at all - for a long, long time

Danny is the bigger issue. Not arguing that. But we have many other threads to discuss Danny. This is the recruiting thread where we talk about players and the type of players that are a good fit for our program.

Alright well that’s the mix of players we’ve always targeted so this shouldnt be a revelation. We have even had that under Manning but he ran everyone off, 4 stars and solid college players alike.

Back