• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Yeah, I don't know anything about RJ or his dad. Just wouldn't be surprised to see a shift away from college ball for the top high schoolers.

NBA's 1 and done rule is supposed to be phased out by 2022. Really only 2 high school classes left that will be forced to play 1 year in college or go overseas.

NBA's 1 and done rule is supposed to be phased out by 2022. Really only 2 high school classes left that will be forced to play 1 year in college or go overseas.

But even then, there's a whole group of college players who have NBA dreams, but aren't ready for the NBA right out of high school. They are the players who will most likely end up playing in Europe anyway after college is over. Why not get a head start and possibly benefit from basketball being a full time job?

All of that because Duke and others showed a little interest in a bench warmer spot? And then all that was left after Duke rejected him a 2nd time was ole ECU? I'm thinking his coach is to blame here. Dude was enjoying the attention. He actually hung up the phone on Les when he was trying to get info about when Coleman would sign.
Yep. Racer nailed it with this take; his "coach" totally fucked this kid over.

NOW, that said... my take is, everything worked out the way it normally would've for a kid ranked where Coleman is. ECU is exactly the kind of place in D1 a kid in the 300-400 range *should* be.
"Water finds it's own level" as they say.

But even then, there's a whole group of college players who have NBA dreams, but aren't ready for the NBA right out of high school. They are the players who will most likely end up playing in Europe anyway after college is over. Why not get a head start and possibly benefit from basketball being a full time job?

I suppose it would make sense for a player who has interest from those overseas teams but knows they are marginal NBA talent. Probably would never get much more than a G-League spot or summer league roster spot, so it would make sense to make money overseas for as long as possible. Most of those guys though really believe in their heads that they can succeed in the NBA, its kind of crazy when you talk to them. There are guys that are nothing special in college and if you talk to them about the NBA they talk like its a forgone conclusion they will be there and be successful. Most don't really know the odds. Being a top-100 prospect in college for 1 or 2 years doesn't equate to being one of the top 450 players in the world.

Most Americans have unrealistic expectations of their future earnings. Makes sense that someone who is the 99.9th percentile in playing basketball of boys in his age group would have high expectations for his career.

Most Americans have unrealistic expectations of their future earnings. Makes sense that someone who is the 99.9th percentile in playing basketball of boys in his age group would have high expectations for his career.

Good topic for the Pit. We have the largest income inequality in recent memory, rank 18th in the world in social mobility, yet still are being sold the narrative that hard work will be all it takes to make the American Dream a reality.

Saw 247 post about Isaiah Cottrell. Here is a recent video:

His AAU team Dream Vision, has the dream frontcourt. Coleman Hawkins, Cottrell and Makur Maker. Best frontcourt in AAU in my opinion, all 2020 prospects. Wake has offered Cottrell and Hawkins. Maker is insane NBA level talent. The AAU team also features top 20 SG Kyree Walker.

Yep. Racer nailed it with this take; his "coach" totally fucked this kid over.

NOW, that said... my take is, everything worked out the way it normally would've for a kid ranked where Coleman is. ECU is exactly the kind of place in D1 a kid in the 300-400 range *should* be.
"Water finds it's own level" as they say.

"his "coach" totally fucked this kid over" ....or saved him from going to a shitty program where he'd be way over matched by the competition in the league and then probably have to transfer in a year or two. He was ranked 355 in the nation overall according to 247, just because he was tall doesn't mean he was ACC material.

Having said that, I'm sure that's not what the coach was thinking when he told him to hold off on Wake, but it's the way it turned out.

Congrats to ECU on landing Coleman. That's a big get for them, no matter how anybody else tries to downplay it. I honestly think the decision makes some sense for him, he can play in a league where he has a better chance of looking good vs being in the ACC where he might have gotten dominated (or even worse, benched). Are some people on here suggesting that Wake (and Duke) pulled offers even though we have a scholarship available? I'd be very pleased if we had a better option but based on our recent offers/commits I'm not seeing it.

I could see Wake pulling Coleman's offer after the decommit, particularly if he and his coach treated the Wake staff the way they treated Les.

Yeah, there's no way Coleman had an offer from us after the decommitment. Not that it matters for us, or for him.

I'm going to go ahead and eat my words. Shakeel Moore would be a good pickup for Wake Forest. Wake should pursue him at PG and move TeamDJI to the 2 spot where he would be better served as a 3 and D type player.

I'm going to go ahead and eat my words. Shakeel Moore would be a good pickup for Wake Forest. Wake should pursue him at PG and move TeamDJI to the 2 spot where he would be better served as a 3 and D type player.

I’ve only been saying this for two years. But I do coach/teach him every day so it’s alittle but easier to say that.

He was at Cape Fear CC last I saw. He played at least two seasons. Think we would have heard if he ended up transferring to a four year.

Kwe shows up on the 2017-18 CFCC roster, but not the 2018-19 one... Not sure what he did this past season.

Back