• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k20 - Watson/Adams - Gibson/Bailey ('20) & James ('21) Gone

Last edited:

Just odd all around. Either Manning assured him that he's not going anywhere, or the kid is trying to get some more interest from others by appearing to be committed to a coach he knows is probably getting fired.

Trey probably thinks there’s no way Wake will buy out five years of a six year guaranteed contract.

Just odd all around. Either Manning assured him that he's not going anywhere, or the kid is trying to get some more interest from others by appearing to be committed to a coach he knows is probably getting fired.
While I'm sure that Manning relayed some sort of assurance he'll be here, whether actually true or not, this is more likely a case of the latter. He committed to an ACC school and has this in his back pocket but still has 10 months to change his mind before he has to officially sign with WF. If Manning is still around, he could easily keep his spot here, otherwise he is free to go anywhere else if he really blows up or WF & him don't share a similar vision with a new coach.

Last edited:
While I'm sure that Manning relayed some sort of assurance he'll be here, whether actually true or not, this is more likely a case of the latter. He committed to an ACC school and has this in his back pocket but still has 10 months to change his mind before he has to officially sign with WF. If Manning is still around, he could easily keep his spot here, otherwise he is free to go anywhere else if he really blows up or WF & him don't share a similar vision with a new coach.

All this. Bird in the hand

I’m not going to complain about getting a Top 200 big (at least according to 24/7).

However, as others have said... It’ll be surprising if he ever actually plays for the Deacs.

Class of 2021, so he wouldn’t even be coming in this fall.

Too bad, because we need more bigs ASAP.

I’m not going to complain about getting a Top 200 big (at least according to 24/7).

However, as others have said... It’ll be surprising if he ever actually plays for the Deacs.

Exactly.

But Trey and his family did a smart thing by getting Wake on record. The new coach will have to make A decision soon after joining Wake in March/April.

Top 200 big. Man how our standards have dropped. Not long ago, we would have needed a John Collins level mixtape and at least 3 legit offers to be fine with a top 150 big much less 200.

Top 200 big. Man how our standards have dropped. Not long ago, we would have needed a John Collins level mixtape and at least 3 legit offers to be fine with a top 150 big much less 200.

Yes and no. My “excitement” was more about filling a need after we’ve only seemingly recruited guards for the last year or so.

He’s definitely not a player you build a class around, but you’d think he could develop into an ACC caliber big man after a couple of years.

It’s all moot... He’s not likely to end up here.

Yes and no. My “excitement” was more about filling a need after we’ve only seemingly recruited guards for the last year or so.

He’s definitely not a player you build a class around, but you’d think he could develop into an ACC caliber big man after a couple of years.

It’s all moot... He’s not likely to end up here.

There are five positions, so that means like around 20 players from each position make a top-100. Some years are deeper than others, but let's just say the top-20 are in the 4-star range. Top-200 is like maybe a producer on Gardner-Webb as a senior best case scenario. The chances that a kid like becomes an ACC player seem low. Has any non-international player ranked in the top-200 range over the last 10 years turned into a Wake starter? I don't think so, but could be wrong since I don't really follow this anymore. Honestly, I'm impressed that you have carried this on for so long, but like top-200 position players are not worth excitement, with or without quotation marks. Damn, the bottom keeps dropping out on us.

Our starting C is a top 400 freshman.

Our starting C is a top 400 freshman.

Who are we even starting? I thought it was Sarr (who would have been a 3/4-star prospect in the top-25 position range had he played AAU ball in the States). It's horrible, but I haven't watched us at all this year. I can't care about this program when the people in charge of it don't care about this program. It was ridiculous enough to live and die by Wake as a townie for like eight years into The Lost Decade, but I decided not to waste my time with this team once Goodman reported that we were stuck with Manning because Wellman wanted to collectively give our fanbase one last middle finger. I'll be back when the coaching staff and athletic department starts to give a shit again.

https://247sports.com/player/ody-oguama-46059384/

I overrated him. He was actually rated #516 overall and #103 at PF. He's started 16 games. He's decent all things considered. Averages 4+ reb and a block a game in 15 min. Doesn't shoot unless he has to. On a good team, he'd be a likeable hustle guy who plays about 5 min/game.

Sarr comes off the bench and plays more minutes.

https://247sports.com/player/ody-oguama-46059384/

I overrated him. He was actually rated #516 overall and #103 at PF. He's started 16 games. He's decent all things considered. Averages 4+ reb and a block a game in 15 min. Doesn't shoot unless he has to. On a good team, he'd be a likeable hustle guy who plays about 5 min/game.

Sarr comes off the bench and plays more minutes.

Ha! I'm pretty sure that I stood next to this guy while I was buying tickets to the Houston Baptist debacle last year. Good to hear he's been decent for us.

Trey's mom, Dena, is active on twitter:

Most of his HS highlights are against teams with zero height/athleticism. This is probably a better video:

For comparison:

Trey James - #168 / 0.9317

2019 (most recent class that we've seen actually play):
Ishmael Massoud - #148 / 0.9264
Jahcobi Neath - #284 / 0.8786
Tariq Ingraham - #461 / 0.8578
Ody Oguama - #516 / 0.8228

Other recent "bigs":
Jaylen Hoard - #24 / 0.9926
Isaiah Mucius - #94 / 0.9639
Melo Eggleston - #275 / 0.8637
Sunday Okeke - #529 / 0.7984
Olivier Sarr - #222 / 0.8752
SJM - #170 / 0.8861
Donovan Mitchell - #269 / 0.8513
Doral Moore - #87 / 0.9563
John Collins - #185 / 0.8766
Aaron Rountree - #190 / 0.8777
Tyler Cavanaugh - #242 / 0.8444
Devin Thomas - #268 / 0.8444
Daniel Green - #422 / 0.8111
Melvin Tabb - #94 / 0.9469

That's every player above 6'7" that committed since 2010.

I'm not trying to make an argument for or against Trey James... Just laying out the facts. I have no idea if he's any good.

Back