• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sutton sucks and his involvement in the program is a classic example of the trash side of college sports

So if Watson qualified and is “ buddies” with guys on the team, why is he not coming to wake?

What am I missing?
Seconded.
We've heard that he had transcript/grades/admission troubles for close to two weeks now.
If that's not the case, then what is it?

Seconded.
We've heard that he had transcript/grades/admission troubles for close to two weeks now.
If that's not the case, then what is it?

what you've heard by all means is not correct and that's been verified by writers close to the team and staff(myself, Conor and Les so some more close than others)

There was a multitude of factors that I personally don't feel at liberty to go into as well as some factors the coaches didn't wish to disclose. Also, it's not anyone else's business but the staff and Watson. That is it, that is all.

It should kind of be a flag that no one from paid subscriptions to free sites to message boards that has talked to the staff has taken the liberty to list out every single reason why the two sides parted ways(yes it was actually mutual, not a "you can't fire me because I quit" situation). It's just been a delicate and shitty situation all around and I feel for the kid but I'm sure wherever he ends up, the staff will be rooting for him to succeed as will I

The response wasn't ridiculous, it was well justified. A kid just had to work through being told a school he was set on, the friends he had already made(he was actually friends with Quadry and has been friends with Massoud, Torry Johnson and Mucius) that plan is all thrown in the trash. Weston is one of his best friends and his mother is basically Watson's mother as well. They have a right to be pissed about a donor basically saying "eh he was a trash player anyways, Forbes will get some better kids in" because that was the underlying message there. So yes they did have a right to be livid. While PSA is Randolph's territory, Weston is playing for PSA and you better believe that shit is going around in group chats there. You dont thinly veil an insult a kid's best friend and expect that to not get talked about. These are high school kids, relationships and how you treat people they are friends with is huge to them, Randolph or not.

IDK, Marcus Watson has been "friends" with these guys for less than 12 months. This is all emotionally charged responses to a comment made by someone who has nothing to do with the actual coaching staff, and will blow over by the time the season starts. Watson never played in a game with Massoud or Mucius at any level, it's not like they have history being teammates. They may have been cool after he was being recruited and committed, but it is not like that's their fam from NY. I know he said Quadry was his slime, but same shit, they've been talking for less than a year. Weston is just sticking up for his friend and Weston probably wasn't coming to Wake Forest anyway. I can see the Mac Irvin/Morgan Park bridge being burned by this, but the PSA/NYC area seems like a reach.

IDK, Marcus Watson has been "friends" with these guys for less than 12 months. This is all emotionally charged responses to a comment made by someone who has nothing to do with the actual coaching staff, and will blow over by the time the season starts. Watson never played in a game with Massoud or Mucius at any level, it's not like they have history being teammates. They may have been cool after he was being recruited and committed, but it is not like that's their fam from NY. I know he said Quadry was his slime, but same shit, they've been talking for less than a year. Weston is just sticking up for his friend and Weston probably wasn't coming to Wake Forest anyway. I can see the Mac Irvin/Morgan Park bridge being burned by this, but the PSA/NYC area seems like a reach.

Cam: "paraphrases what players have told him"

you: "idk man, are they REALLY friends? here's my logic from the outside looking in"

Cam: "paraphrases what players have told him"

you: "idk man, are they REALLY friends? here's my logic from the outside looking in"

So you're claiming that Mucius and Massoud told you that Sutton's tweet will negatively impact PSA recruiting because they were all friends? 1. You're not the only guy who knows and talks to players 2. Like I said, they may call each other friends now, but 12 months from now they won't be texting each other. Just like 12 months ago when they weren't texting each other.

I mean. Ben Sutton indirectly criticized Watson. Weston is Watson's friend. It makes sense that Weston (or Weston's mom, I guess) took offense on his behalf. It was sorta irresponsible for Sutton to tweet what he did, even though I agree it all got blown out of proportion a bit.

Sutton's a bit of a douche, honestly. He posts all sorts of trite corporate speak. I've responded to him twice respectfully. The first time he liked my tweet. The second time he blocked me. That is certainly his right and there are no repurcushions. While cares if I think he's a douche, but this pattern has fuckef us on Weston. He's a liability w recruiting. I hope Forbes and currie and cp3 can muzzle him. If you are going to post then take the fucking criticism. This is the Achilles heel of a lot of successful people-- they surround themselves w yes people who remind them of how great they are.

What Sutton tweeted was stupid and unnecessary. However, it happened after Watson had decided to leave and probably had little to nothing to do with Weston not becoming a Deac. Once Watson had decided to leave, our chances with Weston dramatically dropped. Why would he want to go someplace his close friend ran away from?

As Cam said these are 17/18 yo kids. There's a wide range of things that could have led Watson to renege on his commitment. Maybe he liked the idea of playing with a top center and experienced wing and now they are gone. Maybe his friends gave him a lot of crap for going to a school that may not win 12 games next year. Maybe a scumbag coach or booster from another school(s) reached out to him like they did to our recruits when Skip died. Maybe he realized there was a strong, soph PG who would be tough to beat out. Maybe he say all the Top 100 PGs Forbes has been recruiting over the past month and it pissed him off.

On top of all those possibilities, maybe he or friends or family saw Wake "fans" guessing his cold feet were due to him not getting grades when there is no evidence whatsoever of this being true. Why would he want to go to someplace that's looking to insult him before he ever arrived? Don't say, "he should be tougher". No, people shouldn't publicly publish rumors that insult people.

We may never know what the real reason(s) was/were. Maybe we should just let it go.

Yeah it’s a fresh wound that’ll take all of a couple weeks to heal, if that.

I wish Watson nothing but the best, but I’m not worried about this changing anything that Forbes is looking to accomplish on the recruiting trail or on the court.

However, I could definitively see the Mac Irvin pipeline drying up until Forbes reestablishes trust with their coaches/parents. This is all speculation and I’m on the outside looking in.

So you're claiming that Mucius and Massoud told you that Sutton's tweet will negatively impact PSA recruiting because they were all friends? 1. You're not the only guy who knows and talks to players 2. Like I said, they may call each other friends now, but 12 months from now they won't be texting each other. Just like 12 months ago when they weren't texting each other.

What I'm saying is guys like Massoud aren't going to stop being friends with Watson now that he's not coming to Wake. Saying otherwise is a dumb and wrong statement by all accounts. What I'm also saying is that players note that and say "that's not going to look good"

recruiting is fickle enough as it is. thinking that a tweet that he and his mother(who plays a large part in his recruiting) both were pissed off about wont be something that's brought up when a) they're considering Wake B)teammates from his time playing on PSA asking about his experience Wake(because that happens), that is a big recruiting red flag and I am sure Forbes is pissed about it

Sutton said what we’re all thinking, the problem is he shouldn’t of tweeted it. I’m sure Watson is a good kid, he’s not coming here and the day it came out Weston wasn’t either. The sooner the stink of the Manning era is gone, the better.

what you've heard by all means is not correct and that's been verified by writers close to the team and staff(myself, Conor and Les so some more close than others)

There was a multitude of factors that I personally don't feel at liberty to go into as well as some factors the coaches didn't wish to disclose. Also, it's not anyone else's business but the staff and Watson. That is it, that is all.

It should kind of be a flag that no one from paid subscriptions to free sites to message boards that has talked to the staff has taken the liberty to list out every single reason why the two sides parted ways(yes it was actually mutual, not a "you can't fire me because I quit" situation). It's just been a delicate and shitty situation all around and I feel for the kid but I'm sure wherever he ends up, the staff will be rooting for him to succeed as will I
If it's that damn "top secret" that no one can say anything then who gives a shit about it?
Okay, then it was "mutual" for "undeclosable reasons." Sounds like the kid was wanting out so he and Weston could be a bargain basement package deal at a mid-major together. Or, Forbes politely pointed out he really wasn't needed and was likely to get recruited over by Neath returning and the possibility of McClung. Or whatever.
I don't necessarily mean to sound overly callous, but I'll just put it as we Chefs tell line cooks: if you want to be here, be here. If you don't, get out. It is what it is; you either handle your problems or you don't. It's not personal.

Good luck to Watson, it's a weird time for everyone right now, and probably super weird for kids transitioning from high school to college, regardless of sports, but particularly if you are a kid who has had this as his dream for a while and now everything is up in the air. So, generally going to side with the kids on stuff like this, no matter what types of responses it generates. I hope he lands somewhere that is a great fit for him and he can settle in and chase the dream and stuff.

Also think it will blow over, but def not the first stupid thing Sutton has tweeted. Hope things can get smoothed over, but an unnecessary and avoidable complication. It would have been super easy to say something like "this is a tough situation to lose committed players, best of luck to those headed elsewhere, but I believe Forbes has the capability to build" ...etc. etc. just normal vapid bullshit platitudes that I'm sure comprise most of Sutton's tweets anyway, not to "besmirch his glory" or anything. Dude's probably had thirty years of everyone telling him everything he says is gold, so I think that probably eliminates the filter a bit. Thanks for the buildings, dude, just be satisfied with that.

Last edited:
If it's that damn "top secret" that no one can say anything then who gives a shit about it?
Okay, then it was "mutual" for "undeclosable reasons." Sounds like the kid was wanting out so he and Weston could be a bargain basement package deal at a mid-major together. Or, Forbes politely pointed out he really wasn't needed and was likely to get recruited over by Neath returning and the possibility of McClung. Or whatever.
I don't necessarily mean to sound overly callous, but I'll just put it as we Chefs tell line cooks: if you want to be here, be here. If you don't, get out. It is what it is; you either handle your problems or you don't. It's not personal.

This is the dumbest galaxy shit brain thing i've heard considering Weston is probably ending up at Illinois or Michigan while Watson undetermined at this time. Jesus people are miserable

Good luck to Watson, it's a weird time for everyone right now, and probably super weird for kids transitioning from high school to college, regardless of sports, but particularly if you are a kid who has had this as his dream for a while and now everything is up in the air. So, generally going to side with the kids on stuff like this, no matter what types of responses it generates. I hope he lands somewhere that is a great fit for him and he can settle in and chase the dream and stuff.

Also think it will blow over, but def not the first stupid thing Sutton has tweeted. Hope things can get smoothed over, but an unnecessary and avoidable complication. It would have been super easy to say something like "this is a tough situation to lose committed players, best of luck to those headed elsewhere, but I believe Forbes has the capability to build" ...etc. etc. just normal vapid bullshit platitudes that I'm sure comprise most of Sutton's tweets anyway, not to "besmirch his glory" or anything. Dude's probably had thirty years of everyone telling him everything he says is gold, so I think that probably eliminates the filter a bit. Thanks for the buildings, dude, just be satisfied with that.

/thread

As for the Mac Irvin/ChiTown pipeline "drying up," that's dumb.
As Creamy mentioned, Forbes (and Randolph, since that's apparently his territory) might have to soothe some feelings. Big deal.
Are we really supposed to believe that the sore feelings of a couple of 271st or worse recruits are going to sway the opinions of people (that may or may not be far better prospects) for years in the future. Or hell, even in say... two years? I doubt it.
While it's unfortunate that any of this was aired in public, this is all ultimately nothing.

Exactly this.

What I'm saying is guys like Massoud aren't going to stop being friends with Watson now that he's not coming to Wake. Saying otherwise is a dumb and wrong statement by all accounts. What I'm also saying is that players note that and say "that's not going to look good"

recruiting is fickle enough as it is. thinking that a tweet that he and his mother(who plays a large part in his recruiting) both were pissed off about wont be something that's brought up when a) they're considering Wake B)teammates from his time playing on PSA asking about his experience Wake(because that happens), that is a big recruiting red flag and I am sure Forbes is pissed about it

It wasn't Marcus Watson's mother who tweeted at Sutton, it was Weston's.

This is the dumbest galaxy shit brain thing i've heard considering Weston is probably ending up at Illinois or Michigan while Watson undetermined at this time. Jesus people are miserable
/shrugs

If Weston winds up at one of those places, good for him. And if he can grease Watson's way in too, double good for them.
It's irrelevant to Wake.
Furthermore, as I said, if the reasons for Watson leaving are so undiscloseable, then why should we care? It was "mutual" so let's leave it at that.
Obviously, you know something that has in some way affected you about it. I respect that. But you shouldn't expect others to feel the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back