• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good grief, we can’t get out of our own way.

deacon22, can you understand why Watson and his friends would be insulted by a major booster saying a class was in the bottom of the ACC?

I read the tweet more like - “Losing a few players in the process of getting a new coach is normal, but the core we do have is solid”.

That's what he probably meant to say, but what he actually said was insulting, not tactful, and could hurt Wake in recruiting.

Yep.
Like I said, the two families' feelings are likely hurt over Watson not getting into Wake. [I think he really wanted to play here. You can see it in his tweets] They've likely been looking over to see the reactions to Watson's announcement of his L.O.I. release.
Weston's Mom saw Sutton's tweet, and with raw nerves, reacted negatively. I dunno if "snowflake" is a fair way to describe it or not. But, I doubt highly if the negative feelings of two mid-major level recruits are going to have much long-term impact on Wake's MBB recruiting.
It's looking more and more like 90% of anyone and everything that was even tangentially connected to DFL is toxic in some way.

How much more evidence do we need that Twitter is the sewer pipe that Andy crawled through in Shawshank. Stupid fucking random thoughts 24/7.

What did Weston’s tweet say, for those that missed it while it was up?

What did Weston’s tweet say, for those that missed it while it was up?

c31c1fbea1c8e2c928dded18b16b82ce.jpg

Should Sutton of tweeted that? prob not, but that tweet was not harmful or malicious towards anyone not even Weston so i’m really not sure why the need for the Weston’s to comment on it. it’s just like when a someone gets injured and a teammate is asked his opinion and says we will be alright the show goes on. Everyone needs to chill out, its not that serious.

a) I spoke to someone on the team last night and they expressed that Marcus has been absolutely mentally fried with this entire situation. Remember, these are 17/18 year old kids we are dealing with here. Ben Sutton might have burned a bridge with PSA Cardinals which isn't good. Say what you want about Danny, his tenure, whatever, that is a flat out bad look all around from Wake. If you're feeling nice send some well wishes Watson's way. It means more than you think and less toxicity the better

b) Any sort of idea that Watson "couldn't get in" is objectively false and if you notice, Conor, Les and I held off on touching anything around the situation because of how delicate it was. I was told the same thing Les was told so go read that thread, but any bullshit about a test grade or anything like that is just that, bullshit.

c) Weston's mom has a point as does Weston himself. That school and AAU team is a family. We were all sitting here raving about Massoud coming back but he's cut from the same cloth as Torry Johnson, Weston, Watson, etc. They are a family, you insult one, you insult them all. Was the recruiting class ranked low? Yes. But a big donor coming out and saying things that should be unsaid is absurdly bad. I've seen jokes on here about "recruits don't read board/tweets" they do. My high school(s) had kids from all sports going D1, I was recruited for smaller D1 and D3 colleges for tennis. All of my friends and I would look through shit and that's not uncommon. Not saying "be all unfilitered" but there are some things better left unsaid and trashing 17/18 year old kids whether here, on twitter, whatever, is just not great and if you have a problem with that you are just a miserable person

d) if i seem overly peeved about all of this, it's because I am pissed. Mental health problems are fucking real and this kid just went through one of the most stressful times of his life while being in a demographic that it's frowned upon to show weakness/struggle.

TLDR: don't be a scumbag and treat everyone with respect

a) I spoke to someone on the team last night and they expressed that Marcus has been absolutely mentally fried with this entire situation. Remember, these are 17/18 year old kids we are dealing with here. Ben Sutton might have burned a bridge with PSA Cardinals which isn't good. Say what you want about Danny, his tenure, whatever, that is a flat out bad look all around from Wake. If you're feeling nice send some well wishes Watson's way. It means more than you think and less toxicity the better

b) Any sort of idea that Watson "couldn't get in" is objectively false and if you notice, Conor, Les and I held off on touching anything around the situation because of how delicate it was. I was told the same thing Les was told so go read that thread, but any bullshit about a test grade or anything like that is just that, bullshit.

c) Weston's mom has a point as does Weston himself. That school and AAU team is a family. We were all sitting here raving about Massoud coming back but he's cut from the same cloth as Torry Johnson, Weston, Watson, etc. They are a family, you insult one, you insult them all. Was the recruiting class ranked low? Yes. But a big donor coming out and saying things that should be unsaid is absurdly bad. I've seen jokes on here about "recruits don't read board/tweets" they do. My high school(s) had kids from all sports going D1, I was recruited for smaller D1 and D3 colleges for tennis. All of my friends and I would look through shit and that's not uncommon. Not saying "be all unfilitered" but there are some things better left unsaid and trashing 17/18 year old kids whether here, on twitter, whatever, is just not great and if you have a problem with that you are just a miserable person

d) if i seem overly peeved about all of this, it's because I am pissed. Mental health problems are fucking real and this kid just went through one of the most stressful times of his life while being in a demographic that it's frowned upon to show weakness/struggle.

TLDR: don't be a scumbag and treat everyone with respect

Sutton shouldn't have tweeted it, and the responses were blown out of proportion. Not sure why Sutton's tweet has anything to do with PSA. Watson and Weston played for Mac Irvin together, Watson never played for PSA, is a Chicago kid not like Weston who split time between cities. PSA was Randolph's recruiting ground and he is still here. While the timing of the tweet seemed to be directed at one person, it wasn't, it was looking at the issue from a macro-level, not micro. Sutton tweets a lot of stupid shit on a variety of topics, so I'm no fan, but the response was just as ridiculous.

I just don’t even understand what Sutton thought he was accomplishing with this tweet. What an idiot. And regardless of whether others overreacted just a completely avoidable situation. I’d expect Currie to have a talk with him.

Sutton shouldn't have tweeted it, and the responses were blown out of proportion. Not sure why Sutton's tweet has anything to do with PSA. Watson and Weston played for Mac Irvin together, Watson never played for PSA, is a Chicago kid not like Weston who split time between cities. PSA was Randolph's recruiting ground and he is still here. While the timing of the tweet seemed to be directed at one person, it wasn't, it was looking at the issue from a macro-level, not micro. Sutton tweets a lot of stupid shit on a variety of topics, so I'm no fan, but the response was just as ridiculous.

The response wasn't ridiculous, it was well justified. A kid just had to work through being told a school he was set on, the friends he had already made(he was actually friends with Quadry and has been friends with Massoud, Torry Johnson and Mucius) that plan is all thrown in the trash. Weston is one of his best friends and his mother is basically Watson's mother as well. They have a right to be pissed about a donor basically saying "eh he was a trash player anyways, Forbes will get some better kids in" because that was the underlying message there. So yes they did have a right to be livid. While PSA is Randolph's territory, Weston is playing for PSA and you better believe that shit is going around in group chats there. You dont thinly veil an insult a kid's best friend and expect that to not get talked about. These are high school kids, relationships and how you treat people they are friends with is huge to them, Randolph or not.

So if Watson qualified and is “ buddies” with guys on the team, why is he not coming to wake?

What am I missing?

The Deacon Club has fined Sutton $2.5 million for his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back