• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not Steve Forbes (no really), but I look at it as kind of a 3 year plan... And I expect that's how he's looking at putting the roster together.

Year 1 ('20-21) is about re-recruiting most of the roster and filling in the gaps w/ grad transfers (and/or maybe an under the radar or reclassifying '21 HS recruit) so that you can put a competitive team on the floor and maybe surprise some folks. Along with that, you bring in traditional transfers that fit with what you are trying to do in Year 2 ('21-22), because even if you hit a home run w/ the '21 recruiting class, they are still all going to be freshmen. So obviously you are recruiting the heck out of '21 with the pitch of being a part of something special and rebuilding a once proud program. And then, by Year 3 ('22-23) you have a mix of talent in a number of different classes and greater success on the floor to keep the momentum in recruiting going.

I realize none of that is rocket science, but my main point is that Year 1 is more of a scramble (for a lot of reasons), while Year 2 (and definitely Year 3) are where you really put your program together.

As Forbes says, your identity as a team can come right away, but it takes some time to build a culture.

We could potentially have 7 transfers on this roster... No way of knowing how many of them will be eligible right away, but that is a lot of new players entering a new program. Will be very interesting to see how they all mesh together... And who gets minutes.

Does anyone get the feeling the staff is slow playing our final 2 openings? I feel like we could've locked down a couple guys and filled out our roster a couple weeks ago. Seems like new names pop up weekly and they don't want to miss out on a guy like Mutts for example by taking the Polish kid.

I could be way off but I don't feel like our coaches have been just jumping at every warm body who wants to play in the ACC.

Does anyone get the feeling the staff is slow playing our final 2 openings? I feel like we could've locked down a couple guys and filled out our roster a couple weeks ago. Seems like new names pop up weekly and they don't want to miss out on a guy like Mutts for example by taking the Polish kid.

I could be way off but I don't feel like our coaches have been just jumping at every warm body who wants to play in the ACC.

It definitely feels that way for better or for worse. I'm being patient, though, because Manning and [Redacted] both got desperate to fairly disastrous results on the recruiting trail and in terms of roster turnover. Forbes clearly has a plan. Whether what's happening right now is indicative of it or not? I don't know.

"
“It was very exciting,” he replied about the Wake Forest offer. “Coach Forbes tells me he wants to rebuild and wants to win. All I have to do is work hard.”
Coach Childress has been his main contact from Wake Forest, as they speak almost every day and Henderson likes how the offense looks under the new staff."

Having two SG/SFs who are 6'8 and 6'10 would be cool. He and Ish would provide real length on D.

"
“It was very exciting,” he replied about the Wake Forest offer. “Coach Forbes tells me he wants to rebuild and wants to win. All I have to do is work hard.”
Coach Childress has been his main contact from Wake Forest, as they speak almost every day and Henderson likes how the offense looks under the new staff."

Class of 2021 and we were his first high major offer? Picking up recruiting where Manning left it....

Class of 2021 and we were his first high major offer? Picking up recruiting where Manning left it....

Forbes will find the actual diamonds in the rough, a lot like Clawson. Manning had no rhyme or reason to his recruiting offers.

If you're being serious with this, you should look at basically every other offer that Forbes has handed out. Also, Henderson is going to be a very good player & other high majors are going to offer within the not too distant future.

Completely agree with this. In ACC basketball we cannot be fighting for guys who Howard and Mount Saint Mary's recently offered. I know we are down but this is a 2021 guy - we need to be recruiting at higher levels, with all due respect.

Forbes will find the actual diamonds in the rough, a lot like Clawson. Manning had no rhyme or reason to his recruiting offers.

We do not "need" to find diamonds in the rough. We are not LOWF when it comes to hoops. There needs to be a complete cultural shift, back to where we were with Prosser. That is obtainable and any lower bar should be rejected, IMO.

We do not "need" to find diamonds in the rough. We are not LOWF when it comes to hoops. There needs to be a complete cultural shift, back to where we were with Prosser. That is obtainable and any lower bar should be rejected, IMO.

Coach Forbes thanks you for your support AND patience. He has been here a month.

Can you not read? the article states he’s also hearing from Ole Miss, Uconn, Tenn and South Carolina. the kid wont be a diamond in the rough too long, he’s about to blow up and Forbes got on him early. Take a chill pill.

Forbes has a system and it’s apparent he’s targeting players who fit that system. Refreshing change from Manning who had no philosophy apart from #painttouches

Can you not read? the article states he’s also hearing from Ole Miss, Uconn, Tenn and South Carolina. the kid wont be a diamond in the rough too long, he’s about to blow up and Forbes got on him early. Take a chill pill.

Are you slow or do you just not care? The kid is "hearing from" some mediocre programs and has offers from Wake, Mount Saint Mary's and Howard. My point is that I've been at this for a long time now and I do not want to be recruiting "diamonds in the rough." It is idiotic to believe that this makes programs into major contenders, but you believe what you want to believe. I am a Forbes booster, big time, but I just want to see 2021 targets who are at the appropriate recruiting level for a big time ACC program.

Are you slow or do you just not care? The kid is "hearing from" some mediocre programs and has offers from Wake, Mount Saint Mary's and Howard. My point is that I've been at this for a long time now and I do not want to be recruiting "diamonds in the rough." It is idiotic to believe that this makes programs into major contenders, but you believe what you want to believe. I am a Forbes booster, big time, but I just want to see 2021 targets who are at the appropriate recruiting level for a big time ACC program.

Was Tim Duncan a "diamond in the rough"? There are plenty of others too we could mention.

I’m not saying Forbes should chase diamonds in the rough. I’m saying I trust his eye for talent and the lower ranked guys he offers are probably way more legitimate than the lower ranked guys Danny offered.

You can’t judge a recruit at this stage. Kid just finished his junior year and spring AAU circuit has been shut down. Exposure has been more limited than normal. He could wind up with offers from Duke and Carolina for all we know. Let it play out before judging the situation. Maybe Forbes has an eye for talent and is in early on a kid who will blow up. Maybe kid is a mid-major talent and the staff is really missing the boat. Time will tell. For now no reason not to trust Forbes.

Can you not comprehend what im saying? The kid is about to blow up, Forbes was his first big time offer. Forbes has won everywhere he has gone, i trust his evaluation wayy way more than you. he recruited a shit load of diamond in the roughs wherever he has coached, go do your research on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back