• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recruiting the guys for the class arriving in the fall of 2021 is going to be more of a crapshoot than most years. No spring AAU basketball. That really limits how much coaches have seen these guys play.

There are going to be some very underrated players and some overrated ones. Forbes has shown he has an eye for underrated talent, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on guys in the 2021 class.

Lucky for us Forbes is experienced at Coaching and isn't [Redacted] or Paint Touches.

We do not "need" to find diamonds in the rough. We are not LOWF when it comes to hoops. There needs to be a complete cultural shift, back to where we were with Prosser. That is obtainable and any lower bar should be rejected, IMO.

Prosser also said that establishing a relationship with the recruits early on was really important for beating out places like Carolina for top talent. Kid may blow up, he may not, of he doesn’t, we probably won’t take him in the end,but if he does, he’ll remember that we were the first to offer. We probably need to wait and see how the 2021 class actually shapes up before we get too critical.

Prosser also said that establishing a relationship with the recruits early on was really important for beating out places like Carolina for top talent. Kid may blow up, he may not, of he doesn’t, we probably won’t take him in the end,but if he does, he’ll remember that we were the first to offer. We probably need to wait and see how the 2021 class actually shapes up before we get too critical.

Agree completely. Optimism and skepticism are not mutually exclusive.

Are you slow or do you just not care? The kid is "hearing from" some mediocre programs and has offers from Wake, Mount Saint Mary's and Howard. My point is that I've been at this for a long time now and I do not want to be recruiting "diamonds in the rough." It is idiotic to believe that this makes programs into major contenders, but you believe what you want to believe. I am a Forbes booster, big time, but I just want to see 2021 targets who are at the appropriate recruiting level for a big time ACC program.

Just want to be clear that by "I've been at this a long time" you mean being a fan and posting on message boards. Not, like, coaching or recruiting?

We do not "need" to find diamonds in the rough. We are not LOWF when it comes to hoops. There needs to be a complete cultural shift, back to where we were with Prosser. That is obtainable and any lower bar should be rejected, IMO.
Looks like we found the guy that'll start the "FUCK YOU, STEVE FORBES" thread eventually.

I trust Forbes, but I also think it's fair to say that Henderson and Graham don't exactly scream high major on tape. I know he's trying to recruit a 2021 class where most of the top guys already have established relationships and/or commitments elsewhere. I just hope he's right about the guys he's taking chances on.

Graham? The kid that has had offers roll in for the last month or so from schools like Michigan State, Maryland, Missouri and Auburn?

Graham is absolutely a high major player from his tape. He can do it all and has a JC-type smoothness and control over his game down low. I think he would make an instant impact at Wake and I would be stoked to get him.

Henderson looks like a complete project. He has height for a wing but not much athleticism or talent from the tape I saw posted a month ago on youtube. I guess Forbes sees some potential for big improvement in him or saw a completely different tape than I did.

Last edited:
Are you slow or do you just not care? The kid is "hearing from" some mediocre programs and has offers from Wake, Mount Saint Mary's and Howard. My point is that I've been at this for a long time now and I do not want to be recruiting "diamonds in the rough." It is idiotic to believe that this makes programs into major contenders, but you believe what you want to believe. I am a Forbes booster, big time, but I just want to see 2021 targets who are at the appropriate recruiting level for a big time ACC program.
ok boomer

There are many different perspectives. Love that you all are so optimistic and I am supporting Forbes one hundred percent. But recruiting equates to success in the ACC, that is reality. We will not compete at the high levels by beating out Mount Saint Mary's for prospects. Again, it's early and 2021 will likely be a crap shoot, I just choose to believe that we can compete with the top 25 programs. Sad state of affairs when expecting more than taking chances on guys is heavily criticized. But we are where we are as Wake fans.

Graham? The kid that has had offers roll in for the last month or so from schools like Michigan State, Maryland, Missouri and Auburn?

Yeah. I never noticed it before, but we have some truly dumb fucking fans for a school that presumably prides itself on producing smart alumni. Graham is going to be a 4-star recruit, Top-150 caliber recruit if there is HS basketball this season. I'm glad we were the third high major to offer him (after Rutgers and Maryland).

There are many different perspectives. Love that you all are so optimistic and I am supporting Forbes one hundred percent. But recruiting equates to success in the ACC, that is reality. We will not compete at the high levels by beating out Mount Saint Mary's for prospects. Again, it's early and 2021 will likely be a crap shoot, I just choose to believe that we can compete with the top 25 programs. Sad state of affairs when expecting more than taking chances on guys is heavily criticized. But we are where we are as Wake fans.

I think the main issue with the argument is that the staff has offered like 20 diff guys already in 2021 and you are focusing all your posting attention into one? Obviously the staff feels like he will collect a lot more offers when live periods start back and they want to start building that relationship. No 2021 is going to accept an offer without meeting or visiting and just having introductory conversations. It’s a no risk situation that isn’t worth the chatter.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/josh-farmer-236885

I'm not sure how commitable this offer is. He claims an FSU offer from April that one reporter confirmed the FSU had spoken with him but said the FSU offer was not currently commitable. Ours may be the same situation.

Rivals has him as a 4 star, #109 national prospect and it looks like he's got nice size for a combo-forward. Why wouldn't we want a kid like this?

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k21 – Daivien Williamson commits!!! Johnson's decision soon?

Rivals column on Farmer from last month. You can tell from the offers that Forbes and staff obviously love tall wings.

“The name Josh Farmer is one that has come across my Twitter feed, email inbox and text messages more than a few times. While I've not yet been able to see him in person or get quite as much film as I would like to speculate about where I'd rank him nationally in the class of 2021, I do believe the 6-foot-8'ish forward from Houston (Texas) Sharpstown is one to start paying close attention to.

He's got good size, looks to be capable of playing on the wing or the interior, is athletic and I've been told that he has very strong academics. I mean, what's not to like?

I've spoken with college coaches that saw him as a junior and some trusted sources in Houston who vouch for Farmer and are sure that if he gets a chance to play in front of coaches this summer, his stock will soar.”

https://n.rivals.com/news/starting-five-bama-gophers-transfer-mania-more

2. Name a four-star outside the top 50 and a three-star who would have been blowing up on the grassroots circuit right now.

Eric Bossi - "For a three-star I’ll go with athletic junior Josh Farmer from Houston (Texas) Sharpstown. He’s got size to play as a three or a four at 6-foot-8, shoots it some from deep and has a college type body. Houston, TCU and Western Kentucky are among those in early and his stock would be soaring right now if coaches were watching him with the Houston Superstars." - https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-roundtable-greg-brown-emerging-prospects-teams-under-pressure
On a rankings note, Rivals updated their rankings on Tuesday and that is when Josh Farmer was moved up to the aforementioned 4* & #109 overall.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Rivals updates their rankings yesterday. A lot of Forbes offers made big jumps in the rankings. Josh Farmer who claimed an offer from Childress tonight jumped from unranked two star to #109. Alex Fudge is now #37. Roosevelt Wheeler is #39. Angelo Brizzi jumped up to #118. Josh Beadle is #110. Jordan Hawkins is #50. Carter Whitt is #63. John Butler is #64. Brandon Weston is #76. D'Marco Dunn is #78. John Camden is #84. Game Witzner is #112. Lucas Taylor is #132. Robert McCray is #135. Cesare Edwards is #145. Sam Ayomide is #146.

I probably missed some.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2021

Rivals has him as a 4 star, #109 national prospect and it looks like he's got nice size for a combo-forward. Why wouldn't we want a kid like this?

I think our interest and offer are legit. But the FSU disputed offer made me hesitant to say for certain when it probably shouldn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back