• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recruiting focused interview with Wake Forest assistant coach Brooks Savage:

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...cruiting-priorities-for-new-staff--148687485/

Come on...don't share with these plebians who won't shell out $3 a month to support you....only half kidding.

I'm a HUGE Brooks Savage fan. He's going to be a very highly sought after coach in 5-10 years. He's a really relatable guy as well...Had the chance to chat with him for 10-15 min. Haven't met McKie yet but knowing Forbes has Savage and Childress on staff, makes me feel confident that we will consistently recruit at a high level.

Come on...don't share with these plebians who won't shell out $3 a month to support you....only half kidding.

I'm a HUGE Brooks Savage fan. He's going to be a very highly sought after coach in 5-10 years. He's a really relatable guy as well...Had the chance to chat with him for 10-15 min. Haven't met McKie yet but knowing Forbes has Savage and Childress on staff, makes me feel confident that we will consistently recruit at a high level.

Agree on Savage.

I'm annoyed that the pandemic is keeping us from bringing recruits to campus... Hurts '21 given other schools have had more time to develop relationships. Hope we can still put together a solid class and then crush it in '22.

The first hit is always free!

I get that Paul is a hero to some kids. My point is that his experience at Wake was far different from what any incoming recruit will have. He likely would be where he is now if he'd gone to any decent school. Watching Scottie Pippen's story as shown in "The Last Dance" was a great reminder for me that it is the player that's more important to future success, not the name on his college uniform.

Man, I just don't get your take here. I wonder if UNC should stop riding the crutch of MJ. Hell no. Unfortunately Collins is one of our only recent stars with visibility after 10 years of hell. We should play up the PG U angle of CP3, Teague, Ish and TD's HOF election as validation of the qualities Wake stands for. Forbes In!

This dude is a VT fan anyway, so of course he would downplay our most famous active alumni baller who just happens to be one of the premier names on the Grassroots basketball scene and one of the elder statesmen of the Nike basketball brand as "not relevant."

This dude is a VT fan anyway, so of course he would downplay our most famous active alumni baller who just happens to be one of the premier names on the Grassroots basketball scene and one of the elder statesmen of the Nike basketball brand as "not relevant."

He must be mad that recruits aren't tweeting pics of Ace Custis.

Which other teams I follow is not relevant. Maybe I'm just not seeing what are the attractions for a 17 YO when it comes to picking a school based on a former player, whether it's Chris Paul or Michael Vick. Does he think he's going to be hanging out with famous guy on a regular basis? In his contacts list? Help me understand. Those types of perceived contacts make the decision rational but largely unreasonable. And yes, I realize I'm sounding like the boomer I am.

Which other teams I follow is not relevant. Maybe I'm just not seeing what are the attractions for a 17 YO when it comes to picking a school based on a former player, whether it's Chris Paul or Michael Vick. Does he think he's going to be hanging out with famous guy on a regular basis? In his contacts list? Help me understand. Those types of perceived contacts make the decision rational but largely unreasonable. And yes, I realize I'm sounding like the boomer I am.

It's simple really. These highschool players see a player who went on to be great at the top level but before then played at a college they are being recruited by so they see that the school can produce great NBA players. That's all there is to it. I agree that rationally, this should have no impact on a college decision because it really doesn't matter what school you go to get to the NBA. You either have it or you don't, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have great NBA players who went to your school in recruiting pitches.

With Wake and CP3, a player who idolizes CP3 will be using the CP3 Locker Room. Some guys like that there is a strong connection between their chosen role model and themselves. Also, CP3 isn't just another player. He is head of the Players' Association and a multi-time NBA all-star.

And yes, CP3 does stop by Wake campus from time to time, so there is a much greater chance of a guy running into CP3 on the Wake campus (CP3 grew up not far from it) than there would be if he went to say Stanford. And that "running into" could also include playing pickup basketball and ending up in each other's contact lists.

In my profession, I was honored and thrilled to meet some of the people who wrote the text books I studied from. I was even more thrilled when I, as a young professional, got to know personally the people on my "professional Mount Rushmore" and we each had a card in the other's Rolodex, back in the day.

These teenagers are dreaming of careers as professional basketball players. CP3 is one of the most respected players in the NBA. Why not do everything you can to connect with him, including going to college where he did?

Awesome PH! PS think Paul and the Deacs rolled the Hokies in Cassell the first time we played them there when they joined the ACC.

Nah, Bimbo Coles. Great player, great name. The same could be said for Ace but Bimbo was an Olympian so he gets the nod.

With Wake and CP3, a player who idolizes CP3 will be using the CP3 Locker Room. Some guys like that there is a strong connection between their chosen role model and themselves. Also, CP3 isn't just another player. He is head of the Players' Association and a multi-time NBA all-star.

And yes, CP3 does stop by Wake campus from time to time, so there is a much greater chance of a guy running into CP3 on the Wake campus (CP3 grew up not far from it) than there would be if he went to say Stanford. And that "running into" could also include playing pickup basketball and ending up in each other's contact lists.

In my profession, I was honored and thrilled to meet some of the people who wrote the text books I studied from. I was even more thrilled when I, as a young professional, got to know personally the people on my "professional Mount Rushmore" and we each had a card in the other's Rolodex, back in the day.

These teenagers are dreaming of careers as professional basketball players. CP3 is one of the most respected players in the NBA. Why not do everything you can to connect with him, including going to college where he did?

Fair enough. I appreciate your take.

Ace Custis was obviously a joke. The real answer would be Steph's dad. (He's Seth's dad too but whatever)

Ace Custis was obviously a joke. The real answer would be Steph's dad. (He's Seth's dad too but whatever)

I got the joke. Maybe Dell's wife (also a former VT student-athlete) would be a plus for recruiting pitches.

Huge recruiting news this morning. 5* recruit Makur Maker has chosen Howard over UCLA, KY and Memphis. Another top recruit, Mikey Williams (2023) has also stated he is seriously considering going to an HBCU. I wonder if this could become a trend among top guys. If a couple go, some Top 100 guys may follow. It could be very exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back