• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread, Robert McCray ('21) commits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the vote is no, Danny and Calipari will have fucked Sarr royally. His only way out may be to go to the G-League or pray someone takes a shot at him in the second round this year. A no vote could easily cost Sarr several million dollars.

The vote is going to be no. Sarr will get a waiver.

If Jalen was good enough to play 40% of the minutes on an average UT team last year with a 107 O-Rating, no reason he couldn’t do that here. Again, a low risk scholarship that would be well spent for 1 season.

The vote is going to be no. Sarr will get a waiver.

If Jalen was good enough to play 40% of the minutes on an average UT team last year with a 107 O-Rating, no reason he couldn’t do that here. Again, a low risk scholarship that would be well spent for 1 season.

Why would Sarr get a waiver? I can't think of the last upperclassman who got a waiver due to a coaching change. It would be a very, very, very rare exception. It's a can of worms the NCAA may not want open. If Sarr gets one, then everyone has to get one.

Why would Sarr get a waiver? I can't think of the last upperclassman who got a waiver due to a coaching change. It would be a very, very, very rare exception. It's a can of worms the NCAA may not want open. If Sarr gets one, then everyone has to get one.

because he’s going to a blue blood and they always get what they want/need from the NCAA

Here is an article from the L'ville Courier Journal analyzing Sarr's chances for getting a waiver: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2020/05/07/kentucky-basketball-olivier-sarr-transfer-waiver-examined/5178077002/

A couple of factors seem to cut in Sarr's favor:

- It appears the NCAA is going to be a little more liberal in granting waivers this year (even when/if the free transfer rule does not pass for this season) because of the epidemic
- While a coaching change is not grounds for a waiver, the timing of the firing of Manning after the deadline to declare for the NBA draft seems to have KY fans thinking they have an opening as they will claim that Sarr would've explored his NBA options had Manning been fired within the window that NCAA coaching changes are typically made.
- If WF/Forbes support the granting of the waiver, that would help the chances for the NCAA to grant the waiver (there seems to be some belief that Forbes will agree to support the waiver)

We shall see. Seems like a 50/50 chance that Sarr will get the waiver; the NCAA likes it when KY is good. FWIW, there are enough circumstances involving Sarr's request that would allow the NCAA to claim that granting the Sarr waiver is unique and as a result, the NCAA does not have to grant everyone's waiver.

Last edited:
The ideal way to finish off the roster imo is: Johnson/Mac/Polish Guy.

That would be a helluva pull for Forbes.

Seems like the NCAA really enjoys the power of granting and denying waivers to play favorites whenever they see fit. Having said that, seems to me that the SARR situation is EXACTLY why the rule exists in the first place.

Here is an article from the L'ville Courier Journal analyzing Sarr's chances for getting a waiver: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2020/05/07/kentucky-basketball-olivier-sarr-transfer-waiver-examined/5178077002/

A couple of factors seem to cut in Sarr's favor:

- It appears the NCAA is going to be a little more liberal in granting waivers this year (even when/if the free transfer rule does not pass for this season) because of the epidemic
- While a coaching change is not grounds for a waiver, the timing of the firing of Manning after the deadline to declare for the NBA draft seems to have KY fans thinking they have an opening as they will claim that Sarr would've explored his NBA options had Manning been fired within the window that NCAA coaching changes are typically made.
- If WF/Forbes support the granting of the waiver, that would help the chances for the NCAA to grant the waiver (there seems to be some belief that Forbes will agree to support the waiver)

We shall see. Seems like a 50/50 chance that Sarr will get the waiver; the NCAA likes it when KY is good. FWIW, there are enough circumstances involving Sarr's request that would allow the NCAA to claim that granting the Sarr waiver is unique and as a result, the NCAA does not have to grant everyone's waiver.

The second thing is total BS. His own teammate had declared before Danny was fired, Dozens of other players had declared. Sarr knew what the date was.

I think it comes down to Wake. Forbes should be kept out of the public decision. Make it an administrative decision and nothing to do with Forbes. We should keep his hands clean.

The second thing is total BS. His own teammate had declared before Danny was fired, Dozens of other players had declared. Sarr knew what the date was.

I think it comes down to Wake. Forbes should be kept out of the public decision. Make it an administrative decision and nothing to do with Forbes. We should keep his hands clean.

Forbes should do the thing that is best for the (former) Wake player. Support granting the waiver. There certainly is no upside to taking a position against the waiver whether Forbes hands are on it or not.

The ideal way to finish off the roster imo is: Johnson/Mac/Polish Guy.

That would be a helluva pull for Forbes.

This is where I am at, as well.

In terms of the Sarr waiver, I'll be annoyed if he gets one... But I don't really care as it has little to no impact on Wake Forest basketball. It does seem ridiculous that he'll get one when others won't... But it feels like he's been carefully crafting his story since he made the decision to consider a transfer. Or has had help in crafting it (UK).

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k21 – Watson and Adams re-commit; Antonio transfers to Wake

Forbes is 100% going to support Sarr’s waiver. He’s said multiple times how good of a kid Olivier is. If Sarr’s waiver doesn’t pass, it will be on the NCAA.

It's the classy move to support the waiver. I think Wake should support it, and I also hope it isn't granted.

It's the classy move to support the waiver. I think Wake should support it, and I also hope it isn't granted.

100% agree

these kids aren't getting paid and we should give him whatever he wants

yeah, Wake and Forbes have to support the waiver. just let the kid play, let's not be the petty Ex.

Some noise that if we land MacClung, there might not be a spot for Wilkins on the team. Not a really high chance of this, but still interesting.

Interesting. Meaning we would take the commitment of someone else and boot Wilkins?

I thought Wilkins was a really solid get and would prefer hanging onto him.

Fully expect Sarr to get a waiver and Wilkins to have to sit a year. Hope Wilkins does apply for a waiver though.

There's been some speculation that the NCAA is going to be more lenient this year in approving waivers because the pandemic. Especially with guys transferring to schools close to their hometown. I'd think Wilkins has a good chance at getting a waiver and also why I really want to land Williamson. But its the NCAA so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back