• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BC game thread

Wolford looks like a good fcs qb. he's probably not the long term solution. gotta play Hinton if healthy.

Having just seen the score, I imagine this to be an A+ thread to read from the beginning.

But Hinton had a great OL against FSU so there really isn't an apples to apples comparison.

You don't think Hinton's running ability effected FSU aggressiveness on the pass rush? We didn't suddenly get a new Oline either. How can facing 2 top defenses in consecutive weeks not be apples to apples or close to it. The one caveat is Wolford wasn't 100% yesterday, but still I think Hinton driven our personnel should be the guy all things being equal.

You don't think Hinton's running ability effected FSU aggressiveness on the pass rush? We didn't suddenly get a new Oline either. How can facing 2 top defenses in consecutive weeks not be apples to apples or close to it. The one caveat is Wolford wasn't 100% yesterday, but still I think Hinton driven our personnel should be the guy all things being equal.

I mentioned this in another thread yesterday but I'm not totally sure that our relative success against FSU wasn't due to something going on with them as opposed to anything we were doing. It may have been Hinton's dual threat as you say, but for me the jury's still out somewhat. I'd like to see Wolford and Hinton go up against the same opponent and see who has more success. I.e., I'm not sure Hinton moves the team appreciably more than Wolford did against BC.

I mentioned this in another thread yesterday but I'm not totally sure that our relative success against FSU wasn't due to something going on with them as opposed to anything we were doing. It may have been Hinton's dual threat as you say, but for me the jury's still out somewhat. I'd like to see Wolford and Hinton go up against the same opponent and see who has more success. I.e., I'm not sure Hinton moves the team appreciably more than Wolford did against BC.

You might be right but I think the difference probably is that Hinton at 100% gets a few long gains running the ball yesterday which makes a big difference in such a tight game. Also causes the pass rush to not be so aggressive.

The biggest problem yesterday was the complete inability of our backs to block. They continually got run over by blitzers. Many whiffs. Poor technique.

I'm not sure where the support for Wolford is coming from. It's clear he has an accurate arm, is tough as nails and is easy to pull for him because of his heart.
Yesterday was 11 of 25 for 109 yds, no TD, 1 INT. For good measure, he ran for 17 yds.
Aside from that, Hinton looks very promising and plays with equal toughness and heart.

It's just amazing how many of out players are Fr and So. To pitch a shutout is astounding.

There's no reason we don't run both 50/50. I'm not usually a fan of two qb offenses but neither has clearly established himself as the guy, and they do have different skills for defenses to prepare for. My support for Hinton is mostly due to thinking a more mobile qb will be more successful given our offensive weaknesses. May as well be giving him the reps for experience. Tom Brady would not have put up points against BC with our offense. I think in terms of passing accuracy Wolford gets the edge but our lack of protection and running game makes that a moot point. Mix it up and show both qbs when healthy but definitely the more dynamic threat of the two should be getting atleast half the snaps.

Hinton has had more success against BCS caliber competition in his 2 starts than Wolford has had in over a year of starting QB duty. At some point, the leash has to get very short unless Wolford shows tangible success on the field.

I'd bet the BC coaching staff breathed a huge sigh of relief when Hinton didn't start. They watched the FSU game film and sure as heck didn't want to chase him for 60 minutes.

It's all about context. I don't know that Hinton is any better than Wolford if you compare them statistically. However, in the context of an abysmal offensive squad where the OL can barely hold blocks, Hinton provides a wrinkle we desperately need. He helps to keep the defense honest ... even if it's for a split second until it can recognize the play.

Last edited:
Wolford still owns a top 10 offensive production game in Wake Forest history from earlier this season. And he was playing injured against the #1 defense in the nation yesterday. The idea that either player is "clearly" the better QB is silly. Both have played vastly different teams under very different conditions. Bot have looked really good and really bad. They obviously have very different strengths. As fans, we have a tiny body of evidence to go on compared to what coach has seen in practice, and the game tape is not at all convincing in either direction IMO.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/college-football-week-5-wrap-nothing-is-easy/

lol

15-10-11-bc_wake-win-probability.png

Last edited:
Just want to say, that series of defensive stands by Wake was pretty darn gutsy. Those guys really put it all on the field.

Well, if this coaching gig doesn't work out for Addazio, he may have a future in dance! :)

Just watched the replay of the end of the game since I had to listen to Stan on Saturday.

Favorite part - Chubb during the postgame interview - "Our defense played their ball.....their hearts out."

Back