• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bears sign Jay Cutler through 2020

Dumb stat. QBs don't play against each other. That's like saying Brady is much better than Peyton because his career record against Peyton is 9-4.

that's exactly what brady buttfuckers say

94, not that I'm championing Cutler, but do you disagree he is the best QB the Bears have had since Luckman?

This only underscores how utterly incompetent Bears management has been at drafting or signing for the QB position. People aren't realizing Cutler's age and lengthy list of recent injuries. He's only played in 16 games three times. He's committed 112 interceptions and fumbled the ball 63 times. He ranks in the middle to bottom of most QB stats. 1-9 versus the Packers? One single playoff game- a home loss to (once again) the Packers? One playoff appearance in eight seasons?

I'm not finding the rosy side to Cutler's contract in terms of guarantees etc simply because in the face of not only his stats and history but in light of the Bears' less-than-remarkable QB history, they still give him this heavy contract with $50M guaranteed. As long as he keeps hovering around mediocrity, I don't see the Bears making any moves anytime after those initial three years. Still, Emery could surprise. The grumblings in Chicago were quelled a little when Smith was fired. The Trestman hire raised eyebrows but seems to be on the right track so far. But if results stay the same (losing to Packers; missing the playoffs or losing thereafter), Emery will/should feel the heat. ESPECIALLY with the offensive weapons the Bears finally have. Of course, once they get some gifted receivers, the defense goes to shit. Famine or famine.

So yeah, Cutler is the best QB the Bears have had since Luckman. Incidentally, Luckman's career ended in 1950. I'll hold off on the "Cutler Rules" t-shirts for right now.

And here we Balmur fans were complaining about our decade wandering the no QB desert with the likes of Boller (who was a good blocking QB), Wright, Blake, Elvis and McNair at the end of their runs, Vinnie, Dilfer, Banks and Stoney Case. The best QB we had prior to Flacco may have been the other Harbs who we had for 1 year. But yeah, that ain't nothing compared to your 60 years.

Exactly. It doesn't mean Chicago can't draft the next Nick Foles in the 3rd round or hell, the next Aaron Rodgers in the 1st this year. It just gives them some stability at QB. If they want to trade a healthy Cutler after they get their true elite QB, I'm sure there will be takers.

I haven't read this thread but I assume at least one other Bears fan has pointed out this is only a 3-year deal, followed by four 1-year team options afterward, right? I'm pretty meh on Cutler but this is actually a pretty decent deal for the Bears.

Continue.

Dumb stat. QBs don't play against each other. That's like saying Brady is much better than Peyton because his career record against Peyton is 9-4.

Its not a dumb stat considering that the Bears have to go through Rodgers and Green Bay every year, just to get out of their division. Do you see that changing anytime soon?

As much as I love Smoking Jay (seriously he is a gift from the gods) his ceiling is maybe an appearance in the NFC Divisional round. This is the Flacco contract but without the ring to show for it.

The contract is fine, especially because its only 3 years guaranteed. The way the rookie pay scale works now, and the fact drafting a qb is such a crapshoot anyways. You can draft a prospect in the 2nd, 3rd etc.. and pay them next to nothing for 4 years. If they are good enough to play you are essentially only paying the price of one superstar qb and not 2 even if the one you are paying sits on your bench.

Matt Stafford, Romo, Bradford, Cutler? What do all of these deals mean to the Panthers and Cam Newton who is younger, more durable, shows a greater upside, and never got the benefit of the old CBA rookie contracts?

Last edited:
It took the Bears many many years to finally build up a respectable offense. They have the 8th or so best YPG in the league and the 2nd most points per game. You dont want to just risk losing all that, especially since the Bears have not had such a prolific offense in my lifetime.

Throwing interceptions isn't really part of the offensive gameplan Trestman and Kromer have in mind- at least you hope. Kromer is more responsible for the offensive uptick than Cutler. This move is one of lesser of many evils. The Bears didn't really have a choice since McCown is actually older than Cutler and despite being a better QB this season, would need time to become a leader on and off the field. And that's from reports from inside the lockerroom. So what else could the Bears do? Cutler could've gone somewhere else and the Bears, again realizing they have been historically stupid when it comes to QBs, would've been really fucked as opposed to just mostly fucked with Cutler. Just once, though, just once I'd like to see them get a Manning, Brady, Brees, Young, Montana, Elway... etc etc. Just once in 80 years maybe. Cutler isn't a post-season QB- he takes too many risks and tries to force passes which he has no business throwing. Don't see that changing anytime soon.

Matt Stafford, Romo, Bradford, Cutler? What do all of these deals mean to the Panthers and Cam Newton who is younger, more durable, shows a greater upside, and never got the benefit of the old CBA rookie contracts?

I don't think you could have found a weirder group of QBs to compare to Cam Newton's future value.

Throwing interceptions isn't really part of the offensive gameplan Trestman and Kromer have in mind- at least you hope. Kromer is more responsible for the offensive uptick than Cutler. This move is one of lesser of many evils. The Bears didn't really have a choice since McCown is actually older than Cutler and despite being a better QB this season, would need time to become a leader on and off the field. And that's from reports from inside the lockerroom. So what else could the Bears do? Cutler could've gone somewhere else and the Bears, again realizing they have been historically stupid when it comes to QBs, would've been really fucked as opposed to just mostly fucked with Cutler. Just once, though, just once I'd like to see them get a Manning, Brady, Brees, Young, Montana, Elway... etc etc. Just once in 80 years maybe. Cutler isn't a post-season QB- he takes too many risks and tries to force passes which he has no business throwing. Don't see that changing anytime soon.

Cutler's play in the season finale against Green Bay (a game which was effectively a play off game) suggests otherwise. If you protect him and surround him with weapons, he's going to lead an offense that scores a ton of points.

I don't think you could have found a weirder group of QBs to compare to Cam Newton's future value.

I think he is miles better than all of them. i just picked them because they recently got huge deals or big extensions (ESPN is talking about Bradford getting a 20 mil per year extension lol) and none of them have done shit. Cam is in a position to actually win something. i think Stafford and Bradford are great comparisons since they were #1 overalls under the old CBA and Stafford got 100 mil extension and Bradfords deal was the biggest rookie deal in NFL history (50 mil guaranteed).

Cutler's play in the season finale against Green Bay (a game which was effectively a play off game) suggests otherwise. If you protect him and surround him with weapons, he's going to lead an offense that scores a ton of points.

One game suggests otherwise? Suggests what? Of the 10 games he played in this year, Cutler only had two in which he didn't turn the ball over- and one of those was against the Giants. 19 INTs and 3 fumbles. I'll take more from Cutler's play against Philadelphia and Detroit this season... and his past performances. Just more stats...

I think he is miles better than all of them. i just picked them because they recently got huge deals or big extensions (ESPN is talking about Bradford getting a 20 mil per year extension lol) and none of them have done shit. Cam is in a position to actually win something. i think Stafford and Bradford are great comparisons since they were #1 overalls under the old CBA and Stafford got 100 mil extension and Bradfords deal was the biggest rookie deal in NFL history (50 mil guaranteed).

How do you compare Cam to them? He's miles ahead of them? How? I mean, we can't use stats because you're comparing apples and oranges, so what criteria are you using to base your opinion?

Exactly, Cam led the Panthers to the 26th most yards in the league, deserves top dollar fo sho

…w/ udfa DT for a guard and a 50 yr old 5'8 #1 receiver. People need to pick a metric and stick with it. Is it gaudy numbers? see 2011 and 2012 and compare that to any rookie or sophomore qb who has inherited a 2-14 team. Or is it game winning drives and "wins" that qualifies you as elite? (see 2013). Point is if those guys got big contracts Cam is damn sure about to get paid.

I really don't know, but how many 4th quarter game winning drives did Cam do this season?

I know the NO game in Charlotte, but don't know of any others. Didn't the Panthers have the lead going into the 4th in most of their wins?

…w/ udfa DT for a guard and a 50 yr old 5'8 #1 receiver. People need to pick a metric and stick with it. Is it gaudy numbers? see 2011 and 2012 and compare that to any rookie or sophomore qb who has inherited a 2-14 team. Or is it game winning drives and "wins" that qualifies you as elite? (see 2013). Point is if those guys got big contracts Cam is damn sure about to get paid.

I'm saying even his "gaudy numbers" don't compare with two of the guys mentioned. Will Cam ever throw for 5k yards? 40 TDs? Put up a 100+ Rating? Who knows, but that's not what makes him good. Now you're throwing in that his top WR was old. How is that an objective stat? I'm asking what metric you're using.

Back