• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Being Gay at Jerry Fallwell's University

Three things:

2- He still acts as if homosexuality is a "sin". I respect that we live in a nation where anyone is free to believe anything but I can't accept a religion that teaches that. Weather it is its intention or not it leads people to hatred despite all the "love the sinner hate the sin" rhetoric.

I'm pretty mainstream Methodist, if a little on the conservative side, and my church believes that acts of homosexuality are not part of God's perfect plan for our lives. Neither is oral and premarital sex and a bunch of other fairly common stuff. We've quit catagorizing everything as "sin" or "not sin" because the focus should not be on a prohibition/condemnation but on striving to live according to God's plan. We have homosexual members, volunteers, lay leaders, and I'm pretty sure you can be ordained as a pastor in the Methodist church if you're gay. I can't speak for all denominations.

I'm pretty mainstream Methodist, if a little on the conservative side, and my church believes that acts of homosexuality are not part of God's perfect plan for our lives. Neither is oral and premarital sex and a bunch of other fairly common stuff. We've quit catagorizing everything as "sin" or "not sin" because the focus should not be on a prohibition/condemnation but on striving to live according to God's plan. We have homosexual members, volunteers, lay leaders, and I'm pretty sure you can be ordained as a pastor in the Methodist church if you're gay. I can't speak for all denominations.

So for a gay person to strive to live God's perfect plan for their life would have to forfeit the idea of spending the rest of their life with someone they love? Either that or pretend to be straight. I can't be down with that.

An awesome resource for this discussion is the Gay Christian network, especially for the two predominant views of homosexuality and the bible (from within the gay Christian community). The two sides are basically that being gay is not a sin (meaning having same sex attraction is not a sin and attempts to "cure" homosexuality are errant), but there is disagreement on whether God/the Bible condones or blesses gay relationships. This is typically talked about as Side A or Side B. Here are papers (written by gay christians) supporting each view:

Side A
(God blesses Gay relationships)
Side B
(Promotes celibacy for gay Chrsitians)

The GCN was created by fellow Wake alum, Justin Lee, who also just released a book called Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays v. Christian Debate. No matter what your views are, it's a great book written with incredible humility and grace. Seriously, buy the book and help a fellow Wake grad and good guy out. I don't actually agree with everything he says - but it's an important book in the discussion of Christianity and homosexuality.

Back