• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ben Howland fired

There is absolutely no way that we hire Shaka Smart. He's so far outside of the comfort zone of RW and his cadre of backers, so I doubt we ever consider a young coach and why would any coach, who's had 3 years to bolt for the best job and big money come to wake. We can't offer a better job than those's he's turned down. Another NCAA win to his resume will keep him as the hottest commodity in the coaching ranks. Mark Few has laid eggs for the last 3-4 years at Gonzaga and I still think he could get any job he wanted if he threw his name in the ring.

There is absolutely no way that we hire Shaka Smart. He's so far outside of the comfort zone of RW and his cadre of backers, so I doubt we ever consider a young coach and why would any coach, who's had 3 years to bolt for the best job and big money come to wake. We can't offer a better job than those's he's turned down. Another NCAA win to his resume will keep him as the hottest commodity in the coaching ranks. Mark Few has laid eggs for the last 3-4 years at Gonzaga and I still think he could get any job he wanted if he threw his name in the ring.

Don't waste your breath, dude. I'm in Richmond and, although not directly hooked to VCU hoops, I'm pretty tight with a lot of people who are (pretty difficult to avoid them after the last couple of years). I've said this many times on this board, but no one listens. Apparently, those who live 2500 miles away know way more than I do.

Until the administration at Wake undergoes a radical change, Shaka and Wake are oil and water. The two will never mix.

Truth, for what it's worth.

I've never understood the absolute certainty that Shaka wants to coach at a strong academic school. VCU is nowhere close to a top 25 university. Am I missing something?
My source at Mater Dei has confirmed it.

Reactions: WRS
Don't waste your breath, dude. I'm in Richmond and, although not directly hooked to VCU hoops, I'm pretty tight with a lot of people who are (pretty difficult to avoid them after the last couple of years). I've said this many times on this board, but no one listens. Apparently, those who live 2500 miles away know way more than I do.

Until the administration at Wake undergoes a radical change, Shaka and Wake are oil and water. The two will never mix.

Truth, for what it's worth.

Care to expand on this?

Pretty interesting article (albeit from Jeff Goodman, who's kind of a huge a$$hole) about how Ben Howland burned bridges with many of the LA / Southern California-area AAU coaches and programs with the way he reneged on an early commitment and continued to employ a system that made it difficult for NBA scouts to evaluate his players:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130325/ucla-ben-howland/
My source at Mater Dei has confirmed it.

Back