• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Benevolent, Well-Intentioned Federal Congressmen

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
Apparently some of you still believe they exist. In this thread you tell me who they are.

Go...

02305.M.png

this shows the republicans have won. if you demean the system and get young people to tune out, then you get to be completely beholden to the special interests. congrats brasky, you are a sheeple.

Good post, phan.

this shows the republicans have won. if you demean the system and get young people to tune out, then you get to be completely beholden to the special interests. congrats brasky, you are a sheeple.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I'm just of the opinion that no potential politician is worth investing in as long as our current system is in place.

how much research have you done in to any politicians? do you know anything about your reps or potential reps in tx? maybe you should be looking away from the two major parties.

Almost all congresspeople are well- intentioned. They still, however, care slightly more about their own families than they care about your family. They eventually wind up forcing you to do what they perceive to be be something good for a third party. It is almost never good for anybody in the long run, it almost always hurts your family in the end and they almost always wind up rich.

It really doesn't matter how principled they start out. If they stay long enough, this is what will happen. It would probably happen to you or me, too. People with lots of power eventually abuse it.

i think where they end up going wrong is often times due to their belief that THEY, and they alone, are the best representative for their constituency. thus they make a few compromises to stay in office rather than holding true to what their constituents want. in theory, this should be fine, but when congress is by and large more beholden to the people controlling the purse strings than their true constituents we get a much larger problem.

Good post phan. Most likely every single representative believes that they are doing whats best for those that they represent and that the only way to do that is to remain in office. To remain in office you need the backing of lobbyist and big money, so they compromise here and compromise there to things that in reality aren't in the best interests to those the represent but they believe that if you give some you can remain in office and help those you are suppose to represent better than anyone else. The problem is that the system has shifted way in the direction of big money and the votes needed to remain in office.

I'm glad we're really getting into the sandbox of representative democracy and human nature. Thanks Brasky!

i never had any problems with the Senators from Maine; i never cared much about the two congressmen b/c they were pretty new or just bland/impotent.

pennsylvania's delegation to the federal gov is generally pretty garbage

oh man another gay joke 2 years later. You are on the cutting edge with this stuff

Good post phan. Most likely every single representative believes that they are doing whats best for those that they represent and that the only way to do that is to remain in office. To remain in office you need the backing of lobbyist and big money, so they compromise here and compromise there to things that in reality aren't in the best interests to those the represent but they believe that if you give some you can remain in office and help those you are suppose to represent better than anyone else. The problem is that the system has shifted way in the direction of big money and the votes needed to remain in office.

these are very true words. all mentally healthy humans are almost invariably well intentioned. Hitler didn't get up in the morning and say "how can i fuck up germany and the rest of europe today?" he may have thought that about jews and russians but he didn't have normal psychology, and again he thought he was doing the right thing. that's scary.

those guys who slash water supplies in the desert between US and Mexico think what they are doing is right and just.

Evil villains make for good stories, but they're few and far between IRL. ignorance is how actual evil takes place.

Legislators are pretty good at knowing what is good for themselves. It gets a little fuzzy for some distant relatives For you, unless you have pull, they have no idea what would be helpfull. They really do want to make somebody help you. They just don't know what to make them do.

I think they're mostly good at becoming career politicians and parlaying what time they have in office into a cushy retirement and then a lobbyist job. I'd be very curious to see what percentage of defeated congressmen go back to their regular lives afterwards. Chances are their regular lives consisted of being a politician at the state level previously, or of being a lawyer. Either way, the assholitude is off the charts.

Whatever benevolence some may have had quickly fades as they become part of the gang. Even if not, it doesn't matter because most of them are such morons that I wouldn't trust their "benevolent" intentions that, most of the time, just waste my tax dollars. Even the rare good idea is usually wrapped up in some shitburger of a bill that includes about 99 problems for every 1 that it seeks to actually address.

Finally, good intentions, much like poll numbers, are often the last bit of support utilized to push a bad idea on the public. Whenever I hear a politician say either "the polls show the American public agrees" or "what's the worst that can happen" (thanks John Kerry for a real-life example of the latter), it's an automatic red flag.

ELC, are taxes still = theft in your view?

Back