• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Benevolent, Well-Intentioned Federal Congressmen

When did I say taxing was theft? The funds from taxes are not very efficiently applied, particularly at the national level, but that doesn't mean it's theft. I think one could argue that wanting a tax increase to pay for some new thing that's bullshit is "stealing my hard earned money," but that doesn't mean it's actually theft. Technically, it's legal. I'm just pissed that it's going to something I disagree with. Big whoop. The taxpaying hippie doesn't like financing the war machine either. Semantic debate, really.

There are extreme instances, however, when legal taxation would be akin to theft. If one were to impose some ridiculous tax that amounts to confiscation, that would be theft. If the government suddenly decided to tax Roth IRAs, that would be theft. If the government decided to take your IRAs, that would most certainly be theft. Etc...

i'm not sure you've said it in as many words, but i had thought that was what your position amounted to. after reading your above post I see your views are more nuanced than what i had thought. you have a good point that people on both sides of the aisle have to fund programs they'd rather not via federal taxes.

DM, it's tjmd who thinks taxes are theft and coersion.

Back