• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best 80s Rock Radio Band

Which is the greatest 80s band of all-time?!

• Warrant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Air Supply

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Great White

• Poison

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • A Flock of Seagulls

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Winger

• Stryper

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Starship

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Frankie Goes to Hollywood

• Total voters
Wanted to pick Flock of Seagulls, but as much as I like Space Age Love Song and Wishing, Starship has too many bangers, though I did just learn that Jane came out in 1979

Wanted to pick Flock of Seagulls, but as much as I like Space Age Love Song and Wishing, Starship has too many bangers, though I did just learn that Jane came out in 1979
Starship has ONE banger. Jane is an amazing song. Everything else is crap.

Starship has ONE banger. Jane is an amazing song. Everything else is crap.
Find Your Way Back is a very good song. We Built This City was fine until everyone decided that was the song to shit on from the 80s. I'm no Starship apologist (they were better in the 60s for sure), but from the list given, they are pretty good.

Find Your Way Back is a very good song. We Built This City was fine until everyone decided that was the song to shit on from the 80s. I'm no Starship apologist (they were better in the 60s for sure), but from the list given, they are pretty good.
We Built this City is Starship, but Find Your Way Back is Jefferson Starship. A distinction that I bet confuses the band members to this day.

A little trivia for you younguns - Starship played Wait Chapel, oh, around 85 or 86.

Let's split the diff and go with 84, since I was there for Starship and F84 was when I matriculated.

A little trivia for you younguns - Starship played Wait Chapel, oh, around 85 or 86.
I think it was Fall 85, This song We Built This City and band did not appeal to college students (or at least Wake students) and attendance was embarrassingly low from what I was told. The university either pouted or was so financially stung or did not trust themselves to book act that they did not bring another band to Wake until Bruce Hornsby and The Range in either 88 or 89. Bruce had good attendance, perhaps bc students were hungry for any on campus concert or afraid of another prolonged dry spell.

Time has proved Wake students correct in that We Built This City tops many Worst Songs of the 80's lists.

I think it was Fall 85, This song We Built This City and band did not appeal to college students (or at least Wake students) and attendance was embarrassingly low from what I was told. The university either pouted or was so financially stung or did not trust themselves to book act that they did not bring another band to Wake until Bruce Hornsby and The Range in either 88 or 89. Bruce had good attendance, perhaps bc students were hungry for any on campus concert or afraid of another prolonged dry spell.

Time has proved Wake students correct in that We Built This City tops many Worst Songs of the 80's lists.
It didn't take time to prove it- that song was awful from the very beginning.

I agree, but it did go to #1 and that is probably why Wake signed the concert.

If I put some thought into the 90s poll I should do the same for 80s, when I was at peak music obsession.

Warrant - No. F all hair metal, this is a sub-genre where rankings are of relative levels of suck.
Air Supply - Here's another "NGL" (as from the 90s thread), I had this album and played it to a point where the grooves were worn. I make no effort to listen to them now but there was a time...
Great White - See Warrant above.
Poison - See Great White above.
A Flock of Seagulls - big big fan, unironically, still to this day.
Winger - see blah blah blah
Stryper - even I'm tired of this joke now.
Starship - Did you know they played Wait Chapel???
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - big big fan still, not sure how to break the tie between them and FoS.

Only one can get the checkmark and I really don't know how to resolve this between Frankie and Flock. Frankie was more interesting, less pop-y but FoS still sounds like music from the future to me. I'm going to give the check mark to Flock of Seagulls.

I had a distant cousin (well, my Dad's 1st cousin's son -- so not that distant, spent some time with him growing up) who died in the Great White Rhode Island club fire, so they are on the bottom of this list for me. He was in a wheelchair and had no chance. Pretty tragic.

I'll say this about Warrant. Uncle Tom's Cabin is one of the best songs of that genre. Really a kickass tune. I Saw Red is pretty good for a power ballad too. Cherry Pie is obviously shit.

But Warrant doesn't sniff Dokken's jock.

I saw Mickey Thomas at a festival like 8-10 years ago. I think it was as "Mickey Thomas's Starship" or some crap. Even though it was billed as Starship, he still did Fooled Around and Fell In Love and the dude could still hit those notes.

That's possible, although I didn't think I would have gone to that concert my senior year. And yes it was extremely poorly attended. I think I was there for the first half and then left. But tbh I don't remember much. Take from that what you will.

Back