• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Caribbean resort for doing nothing?

BubbaJean

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for an all-inclusive beachfront resort that will allow my wife and me to eat good food and sit on the beach with as little effort as possible. Willing to pay up to $1,000/night. Prefer direct flights from CLT.

I hear the men's basketball team heads down to the Paradise Jam for some low-effort activity every few years.

Not easy to get to and on the higher end price-wise, but SBTtoy and I honeymooned at Petit St. Vincent. You can fly direct to Barbados, but then you'll catch a puddle jumper to Union Island in the Grenadines, then boat from there. But it is a killer off-the-grid spot with everything you're asking for. (Booze not included though.)

We honeymooned at Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia. We stayed on a cliffside retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the regular resort. It was much quieter and we had our own pool, food options etc. We got the butler service, and one of the perks was that we could rsvp at the best restaurants at the other 2 Sandals locations on the island free of charge with a complimentary shuttle to an from. All of this was <$1000 per night and direct flights from CLT.

Don't know about all inclusive, but St. Kitts is the quietest most relaxed island I have been to. There is a Marriott, a Hyatt and a Four Seasons.

Not easy to get to and on the higher end price-wise, but SBTtoy and I honeymooned at Petit St. Vincent. You can fly direct to Barbados, but then you'll catch a puddle jumper to Union Island in the Grenadines, then boat from there. But it is a killer off-the-grid spot with everything you're asking for. (Booze not included though.)

Our accommodations are free from telephones, wifi and television. Instead, our signature flag system is a simple but effective way to communicate with our attentive staff. The yellow flag signals for room service, transportation, or a special request and the red flag for privacy.

We honeymooned at Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia. We stayed on a cliffside retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the regular resort. It was much quieter and we had our own pool, food options etc. We got the butler service, and one of the perks was that we could rsvp at the best restaurants at the other 2 Sandals locations on the island free of charge with a complimentary shuttle to an from. All of this was <$1000 per night and direct flights from CLT.

Same here, except we honeymooned at the Grande. I loved St. Lucia.

Our accommodations are free from telephones, wifi and television. Instead, our signature flag system is a simple but effective way to communicate with our attentive staff. The yellow flag signals for room service, transportation, or a special request and the red flag for privacy.
The flag system was dope. Red flags for days

I'm pretty sure alcohol isn't included, but they do have rates that include all meals. Food was great. Direct flight from Charlotte to St Kitts (boat to Nevis) every Saturday.

https://nisbetplantation.com/#/

ETA - actually you can pay $155/person per day for all-inclusive (incl beverages, but excluding bottle of wine).

Last edited:
Went to an all inclusive for this purpose a few years ago in Playacar (Riviera Maya) called the Royal Hideaway. The whole experience was WAY better than the other all-inclusives I've been to (generally pretty bad), with great food, drinks, spa, etc. Looks like they were bought by Barcelo, so I hope the quality hasn't suffered, as we're planning to go back pretty soon. Obviously, a bunch of easy direct flights from CLT to Cancun and a 45 min shuttle or so.

https://www.barcelo.com/en-us/royal-hideaway/hotels/mexico/riviera-maya/royal-hideaway-playacar/

Only $1000/night?

If you're lucky maybe you can get a hut that was destroyed during a hurricane.

Look into Peter Island in the BVI. My wife and I have been there twice and are going again in October. One company owns the entire island, one hotel, and if the place is fully booked, there are about 80 people in the resort. Outstanding restaurant. One of the nicest cove beaches you’ll ever find. You can book day trips to open water snorkeling, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, etc. We absolutely love the place.

The only problem is getting there. We’ve always flown into San Juan from where we took a puddle jumper to Beef Island airport on Tortola. There are roosters walking around the tarmac and you enter as a Belonger or a Visitor. It’s one of those airlines where you’re asked how much you weigh at check in. I’ve flown in the co-pilots seat twice. From Tortola, you take a thirty minute ferry to Peter Island.

Totally worth the hassle. Amazing place to spend a week.

I should add that while I haven’t looked at their website in years, the site used to say “children are not forbidden, but are discouraged”. We didn’t see any kids on either of our trips there.

If you go as far as the Riviera Maya then you may as well just go to Tulum. Unbelievable place with an incredibly relaxed vibe. May be short on “all inclusive” options but there are stunning boutique hotels and great restaurants and beaches there.

Look into Peter Island in the BVI. My wife and I have been there twice and are going again in October. One company owns the entire island, one hotel, and if the place is fully booked, there are about 80 people in the resort. Outstanding restaurant. One of the nicest cove beaches you’ll ever find. You can book day trips to open water snorkeling, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, etc. We absolutely love the place.

The only problem is getting there. We’ve always flown into San Juan from where we took a puddle jumper to Beef Island airport on Tortola. There are roosters walking around the tarmac and you enter as a Belonger or a Visitor. It’s one of those airlines where you’re asked how much you weigh at check in. I’ve flown in the co-pilots seat twice. From Tortola, you take a thirty minute ferry to Peter Island.

Totally worth the hassle. Amazing place to spend a week.

Don't go until late October or early November...Unless you are bringing a kite and want to use the hurricane winds to save on return airfare.

Same here, except we honeymooned at the Grande. I loved St. Lucia.

Same here, except we honeymooned at the Halcyon.

Back