• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Coaching Job in WF BB History

Skip in 2002-03 would be my best response. We blew it in the post-season, but that regular season performance was one of our best in history. Skip figured out how to maximize Josh's potential as a player and leader.

And the 76-77 team has to be the only final 8 team in history to lose 5 of its last 7 games.

Hard to say that a team ranked in the top 5 which blows a lead in the conference regular season race in the final week of the season and then loses in the first round of the ACCT is the greatest coaching job in school history.

The ACCT is nice, but only to provincial fans. I doubt there is a coach in the league that wouldn't rather lose in the first round of the ACCT and make the Elite 8 than make the ACC finals and lose in the first round of The NCAA Tourney.

That team was completely unranked at the beginning of the season and proceeded to go 20-2, being ranked as high as #3. Yes, they hit a slump....but they regrouped to reach the Elite Eight....and had to beat a great 26-1 Arkansas team to do it.

And when you talk about Tacy's overall ACC record, you have to consider the whole picture, including the following:

1) The ACC was loaded during that time. Every single team in the conference was good most of the time. As I said, from 1980 thru 1985, seven of the eight teams made an Elite Eight, and the one that didn't made three Sweet Sixteens.

2) Tacy's teams got virtually no television exposure, which greatly impacted recruiting....and he had a miniscule recruiting budget to boot.

3) He had to play his home games in a rathole...or travel to another county, where there were more Carolina fans at Wake home games than there were Wake fans.

4) Most importantly, the program was at rock bottom when he got there. How in the hell he accomplished what he did...under the circumstances & in spite of the disadvantages he faced...was nothing short of a miracle.

Not sure anybody is arguing with you. Most people only remember down to the Odom years, though, hence all the Skip and Odom.

Having the best amateur player on the planet for three years and only making one Elite 8 is not great coaching. Add to this that this player is one of the greatest defensive players and rebounders in history from the post and you should have made at least one Final Four.

Plus we had another great player with him for two years.

Having the best amateur player on the planet for three years and only making one Elite 8 is not great coaching. Add to this that this player is one of the greatest defensive players and rebounders in history from the post and you should have made at least one Final Four.

He was not the best amateur player on the planet for three years. He was a 17-20 year old kid with tons of potential when he became a grown man.

Well I guess keeper knows more than Jerry West who said Duncan was the #1 pick from around Xmas of his soph season.

The Oregon loss in 02 still haunts me. That team was peaking at just the right time and Craig was on fire that game. I think we had a pretty decent draw in front of us if we had gotten by Oregon in that one.

The 02/03 work by Skip was great. Too bad Josh was either point-shaving, hungover or still drunk in the Auburn game.

95 may have been the best though. Duncan was still coming into his own, we had a great leader in Chill and a bunch of role players. Won the ACC, get a #1 seed in the East and are a Childress flu away from probably making the Final 4, at which point who knows what happens.

Go back to kissing Bzz's ass.

In 1995 Childress got sick during the NCAA tourney.

1n 1996 we had to play the entire NCAA tourney without our starting PG being worth a damn because he blew out his knee in the ACC title game. We still made the Elite 8 and lost to a team that had six first round draft picks on its roster.

Last edited:
Have you never heard of Bones McKinney?

All he did was take us to five straight ACC Tournament Finals, win two ACC Championships, make an Elite Eight and, oh by the way, take us to our only Final Four.

Agreed.

And I'm not sure I'd place Skip in the same breath as Tacy or Odom because of his lack of success in the tourney. Odom won some trophies. I'll take that over a No. 1 ranking for a week and a regular season title.

Go back to kissing Bzz's ass.

You desperately need a class in reading fundamentals. Or simply stop lying.

My bad setting specific benchmarks for retaining him (which even Chris said were higher thna his) and not saying [Redacted] is to coaching what Mario Medoza is to hitting means I'm "kissing his ass" in the bizarro world of DeacMan.

In 1995 Childress got sick during the NCAA tourney.

1n 1996 we had to play the entire NCAA tourney without our starting PG being worth a damn because he blew out his knee in the ACC title game. We still made the Elite 8 and lost to a team that had six first round draft picks on its roster.

Shaq, David Robinson and the entire Purdue fanbase say hi.

The ACCT is nice, but only to provincial fans. I doubt there is a coach in the league that wouldn't rather lose in the first round of the ACCT and make the Elite 8 than make the ACC finals and lose in the first round of The NCAA Tourney.

There was no guarantee that we were even going to make the NCAAT.

And in 1977, I disagree with your assessment. The ACCT was still huge.

There was no guarantee that we were even going to make the NCAAT.

And in 1977, I disagree with your assessment. The ACCT was still huge.

Making the Elite 8 in 1977 was still better than winning a game or two in the ACCT in 1977 to everyone outside of the ACC.

Shaq, David Robinson and the entire Purdue fanbase say hi.

Shaq was nowhere near the college player Tim was and wasn't there for four years.

I love the Admiral but he was abused by Soviet "amateur" Sabonis.

What does Purdue have to do with anything?

Either that team or the 1976-77 team, when we started 18-2 (after beginning the season completely unranked) and came from 13 points down at the half in the NCAA Tournament to beat a 26-1 Arkansas team that had Sidney Moncrief, Marvin Delph & Ron Brewer (and made the Final Four itself the next year).....on the way to also making the Elite Eight, and coming within one half of making the Final Four.

Skip Brown
Jerry Schellenberg
Larry Harrison
Rod Griffin
Frank Johnson
Leroy McDonald (6th man)

Carl Tacy

That team was talented. Skip, Rod, and the best player not to have his jersey hanging, Frank Johnson (as I continue my personal crusade to honor Frank and have that injustice corrected).

Back