• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Coaching Job in WF BB History

Since 1997 actually. But I nominate the 1995-96 season after the loss of Randolph to graduation.

I nominate as the 2 worst season as 2005 w/ CP3 & right after he left--2006 when we dropped to dead last with the "best" all time recruiting class in the history of Wake Forest basketball

No way you can nominate either of those campaigns. I'd go back to say 1987 or so or last year.

OK, scratch those guys. Who was recruiting Rod Griffin, Anthony Teachey, Delaney Rudd, Leroy McDonald & Jerry Schellenberg?

I agree with you, BKF. That's really impressive. Most of those guys had a cup of coffee in the League, too.

The correct answer is the boards after every single game. If they'd just do what we tell them to, they'd be undefeated every year.

2003. No question for me....granted, I have a limited amount of years to pull from considering I was like 8 yrs old in when we won back to back ACC titles.

Rutland's 3 pointer spun in and out versus OK State or THAT was our year.

This game has become definitive for me as a Wake fan. And that's a shame because we have achieved some great wins. But that OkState loss precipitated a long run of frustration for me, starting with the bottle of Chivas I finished after that game and the knuckle my WF class ring sprained on a wooden column outside the bar at which we were watching the game. That imprint is still in there, BTW.

Seems like every WF generation has a game that does that. I remember seeing the same feelings in the younger fans after West Virginia. Before that, the loss to Kentucky when they utterly blew our brains out was a defining loss. I can only imagine what this place would've been like after Ohio State in 62. Havlicek can still eat a dick.

This game has become definitive for me as a Wake fan. And that's a shame because we have achieved some great wins. But that OkState loss precipitated a long run of frustration for me, starting with the bottle of Chivas I finished after that game and the knuckle my WF class ring sprained on a wooden column outside the bar at which we were watching the game. That imprint is still in there, BTW.

Seems like every WF generation has a game that does that. I remember seeing the same feelings in the younger fans after West Virginia. Before that, the loss to Kentucky when they utterly blew our brains out was a defining loss. I can only imagine what this place would've been like after Ohio State in 62. Havlicek can still eat a dick.

Great post. Even with recent football success under grobe nothing compares to wake bball to me, its what i grew up on. Its gave me grat happiness and a lot of hard times, but comparing how small we are and the state and leauge in which we compete in id say weve done pretty well over the years. 95 loss to okie st. and 2005 loss to w.v. i will never get over. However the 95 tourney win was i can say was one of happiest of my life.

chill dribbling off his foot prepared me, so the west virginia loss wasn't that bad.

W/O question, the best Wake Forest coaching job in a game i ever saw was the first round ACC tournament game in 1972? when carl Tacy orchestrated, not only an upset of 4th ranked UNC but completely controlled the game form tip to finish when Phil Perry layed it in as the light came on behnd the backboard to win in OT in greensboro. comparing our talent to theirs it was a masterful execution of the only chance we had and eddie payne and Tony Byers executed to perfection. Greatest single game I have ever seen fronm a coaching perspective.

20 Great Wins By Carl Tacy's Wake Forest Teams:

1) 3/27/73 .... WF 54, UNC 52 OT .... 1st round of the ACC Tournament (Tacy's very 1st ACC Tournament game)
2) 1/3/75 .... WF 83, #1 NC State 78 .... Deacs end Wolfpack & David Thompson's 36-game winning streak in opening round of Big Four Tournament
3) 1/4/75 .... WF 75, Duke 71 ....Wake wins its 1st Big Four Championship
4) 1/2/76 .... WF 95, #3 UNC 83 .... opening round of the Big Four Tournament; 1st meeting with Tar Heels since the infamous "scoreboard" game in the 1975 ACC Tournament; Jerry Schellenberg leads Deacs with 24 points, including a perfect 14 for 14 from the free throw line
5) 1/3/76 .... WF 93, #9 NC State 78 .... Deacs win their 2nd Big Four Championship almost effortlessly, even with star guard Skip Brown sidelined with a minor injury; Jerry Schellenberg again leads Deacs with 31 points
6) 1/10/76 .... WF 96, #2 Maryland 93 .... game played in Greensboro; four Deacons score 20+ points (Skip Brown, Jerry Schellenberg, Rod Griffin & Darryl Peterson); that's three wins for Wake over top ten opponents in an 8-day period
7) 11/27/76 .... WF 97, #3 UNC 96 OT .... Deacs win their 3rd straight Big Four Championship over the 3rd ranked Tar Heels in overtime
8) 1/26/77 .... WF 67, #4 UNC 66 .... Wake comes from 15 points behind in the 2nd half to beat the Tar Heels in Carmichael Auditorium
9) 3/12/77 .... WF 86, Arkansas 80 .... Deacs come from 13 points down at the half in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament to beat a 26-1 Arkansas team that had won 18 straight games going into the tournament
10) 1/26/78 .... WF 71, #3 UNC 62 .... Deacs roll over 3rd ranked Tar Heels at Memorial Coliseum, leading 34-20 at the half & stretching the lead to 40-23 in the 2nd half
11) 2/2/78 .... WF 79, Duke 60 .... Wake destroys a Duke team that would later win the ACC Tournament & reach the Championship Game of the NCAA Tournament; Deacs led 42-24 at the half; Rod Griffin had 21 points & Leroy McDonald had 19 points
12) 3/2/78 .... WF 82, UNC 77 .... Deacs whip Tar Heels in semi-finals of ACC Tournament in spite of Phil Ford's 30 points; super-sub Leroy McDonald led the Deacs with 21 points
13) 1/10/79 .... WF 59, #3 UNC 56 .... even in a rebuilding, off year for the Deacs, Tacy engineered an upset over the 3rd ranked Tar Heels at Memorial Coliseum
14) 12/6/80 .... WF 82,UNC 71 .... Wake wins its 4th Big Four Championship over a Carolina team that had 4 future 1st round NBA draft picks; Deacs rolled to a 41-26 lead at the half; Frank Johnson led Wake with 24 points
15) 2/11/81 .... WF 84, #9 UNC 68 ....The Deacs gave the Tar Heels one of their worst beatings ever in Carmichael Auditorium, jumping out to a 20-4 lead that would become 43-22 by the half, then stretching it to a 30-point lead at 57-27 early in the 2nd half
16) 2/25/81 .... WF 73, #3 Virginia 66 OT .... Frank Johnson scored 22 points in his last home game as the Cavaliers & Ralph sampson lost for only the 2nd time in their last 30 games
17) 1/21/82 .... WF 55, #1 UNC 48 .... The Deacs beat the #1 ranked Tar Heels in Carmichael Auditorium...a team that would finish 32-2 for the year & win the NCAA Championship
18) 2/8/84 .... WF 90, #13 Maryland 87 2OT .... in a tight, double overtime game played at Greensboro, the Deacs beat a Maryland team that would go on to finish 2nd in the ACC & win the ACC Tournament
19) 3/23/84 .... WF 73, #4 DePaul 71 OT ....in a Midwest Regional NCAA Tournament game, the Deacs came from 7 points down in the last three minutes to tie the game at the buzzer on Delaney Rudd's miracle shot, then beat a DePaul team in overtime that had been ranked #1 in the nation earlier in the year
20) 1/17/85 .... WF 91, #2 Duke 89 OT .... The Deacs beat the 2nd ranked Blue Devils on their own home floor at Cameron Indoor Stadium

Number one was March 8,1973. Since that was wrong I didn't read any of the others.

Sorry for the typo there, keeper. Obviously, the first round of the ACC Tournament would not have been played on March 27th. That post involved quite a bit of typing. Thanks for your input in discussing the important body of the post. I look forward to your other comments of such significance on those 20 wins.

As I have stated many times March 8,1973 was the best day of my life. Should be a national holiday. To see it abused gets next to me. I'll try to read the remainder of your post but I'm just too torn up right now.

The Oregon loss in 02 still haunts me. That team was peaking at just the right time and Craig was on fire that game. I think we had a pretty decent draw in front of us if we had gotten by Oregon in that one.

The 02/03 work by Skip was great. Too bad Josh was either point-shaving, hungover or still drunk in the Auburn game.

95 may have been the best though. Duncan was still coming into his own, we had a great leader in Chill and a bunch of role players. Won the ACC, get a #1 seed in the East and are a Childress flu away from probably making the Final 4, at which point who knows what happens.

weren't we without like 4 of our top 5 players at some point in that Oregon game?

Aside from Dawson...

But the Demon Deacons got only sporadic playing time from second-leading scorer Josh Howard, who has a sprained ankle. In addition, Broderick Hicks missed most of the first half after running face-first into Oregon center Chris Christoffersen's elbow in the opening minutes.

As I have stated many times March 8,1973 was the best day of my life. Should be a national holiday. To see it abused gets next to me. I'll try to read the remainder of your post but I'm just too torn up right now.

What a sad life you must lead.

The older fans here remember when the ACCT was almost bigger to ACC schools than the NCAAT. Remember when only the ACCT winner went to the NCAAT?. ACCT tickets used to be among the most sought after events in sports.
I remember BKF #15. Dean said after that game it was the worst loss he ever had at home.

20 Great Wins By Carl Tacy's Wake Forest Teams:

1) 3/8/73 .... WF 54, UNC 52 OT .... 1st round of the ACC Tournament (Tacy's very 1st ACC Tournament game)
2) 1/3/75 .... WF 83, #1 NC State 78 .... Deacs end Wolfpack & David Thompson's 36-game winning streak in opening round of Big Four Tournament
3) 1/4/75 .... WF 75, Duke 71 ....Wake wins its 1st Big Four Championship
4) 1/2/76 .... WF 95, #3 UNC 83 .... opening round of the Big Four Tournament; 1st meeting with Tar Heels since the infamous "scoreboard" game in the 1975 ACC Tournament; Jerry Schellenberg leads Deacs with 24 points, including a perfect 14 for 14 from the free throw line
5) 1/3/76 .... WF 93, #9 NC State 78 .... Deacs win their 2nd Big Four Championship almost effortlessly, even with star guard Skip Brown sidelined with a minor injury; Jerry Schellenberg again leads Deacs with 31 points
6) 1/10/76 .... WF 96, #2 Maryland 93 .... game played in Greensboro; four Deacons score 20+ points (Skip Brown, Jerry Schellenberg, Rod Griffin & Darryl Peterson); that's three wins for Wake over top ten opponents in an 8-day period
7) 11/27/76 .... WF 97, #3 UNC 96 OT .... Deacs win their 3rd straight Big Four Championship over the 3rd ranked Tar Heels in overtime
8) 1/26/77 .... WF 67, #4 UNC 66 .... Wake comes from 15 points behind in the 2nd half to beat the Tar Heels in Carmichael Auditorium
9) 3/12/77 .... WF 86, Arkansas 80 .... Deacs come from 13 points down at the half in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament to beat a 26-1 Arkansas team that had won 18 straight games going into the tournament
10) 1/26/78 .... WF 71, #3 UNC 62 .... Deacs roll over 3rd ranked Tar Heels at Memorial Coliseum, leading 34-20 at the half & stretching the lead to 40-23 in the 2nd half
11) 2/2/78 .... WF 79, Duke 60 .... Wake destroys a Duke team that would later win the ACC Tournament & reach the Championship Game of the NCAA Tournament; Deacs led 42-24 at the half; Rod Griffin had 21 points & Leroy McDonald had 19 points
12) 3/2/78 .... WF 82, UNC 77 .... Deacs whip Tar Heels in semi-finals of ACC Tournament in spite of Phil Ford's 30 points; super-sub Leroy McDonald led the Deacs with 21 points
13) 1/10/79 .... WF 59, #3 UNC 56 .... even in a rebuilding, off year for the Deacs, Tacy engineered an upset over the 3rd ranked Tar Heels at Memorial Coliseum
14) 12/6/80 .... WF 82,UNC 71 .... Wake wins its 4th Big Four Championship over a Carolina team that had 4 future 1st round NBA draft picks; Deacs rolled to a 41-26 lead at the half; Frank Johnson led Wake with 24 points
15) 2/11/81 .... WF 84, #9 UNC 68 ....The Deacs gave the Tar Heels one of their worst beatings ever in Carmichael Auditorium, jumping out to a 20-4 lead that would become 43-22 by the half, then stretching it to a 30-point lead at 57-27 early in the 2nd half
16) 2/25/81 .... WF 73, #3 Virginia 66 OT .... Frank Johnson scored 22 points in his last home game as the Cavaliers & Ralph sampson lost for only the 2nd time in their last 30 games
17) 1/21/82 .... WF 55, #1 UNC 48 .... The Deacs beat the #1 ranked Tar Heels in Carmichael Auditorium...a team that would finish 32-2 for the year & win the NCAA Championship
18) 2/8/84 .... WF 90, #13 Maryland 87 2OT .... in a tight, double overtime game played at Greensboro, the Deacs beat a Maryland team that would go on to finish 2nd in the ACC & win the ACC Tournament
19) 3/23/84 .... WF 73, #4 DePaul 71 OT ....in a Midwest Regional NCAA Tournament game, the Deacs came from 7 points down in the last three minutes to tie the game at the buzzer on Delaney Rudd's miracle shot, then beat a DePaul team in overtime that had been ranked #1 in the nation earlier in the year
20) 1/17/85 .... WF 91, #2 Duke 89 OT .... The Deacs beat the 2nd ranked Blue Devils on their own home floor at Cameron Indoor Stadium

Great memories there. Could you include the Wake rankings for those teams (where applicable)?

Back