• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best College Basketball Game You Attended

1993 against UNC in the Joel. Rodney unleashes a 360. Randolph blows a tight game wide open with 6 straight 3's early in the 2nd half. I literally thought the roof would be raised. Wake destroys the eventual NCAA champs 88-62

Didn't Randolph fake an injury in that game to get some room from the defenders?

I saw the 4 OT game between Wake and State in Greensboro. Wake lost but it was Staak's last regular season game at Wake so it had that going for it.

1993 against UNC in the Joel. Rodney unleashes a 360. Randolph blows a tight game wide open with 6 straight 3's early in the 2nd half. I literally thought the roof would be raised. Wake destroys the eventual NCAA champs 88-62

Till this day my favorite game ever.
People who weren't there can't believe how loud it was in the Joel.

It wasn't a make-or-break game, but I enjoyed our OT win against MD in the old building - I think it was 83-84. We had Teachey, Rudd, Green, Young etc., and Maryland had Bias among others. The ACC during the early and mid-80's was unbelievable. Every team had stars and the level of play was amazing.

Disclaimer: I am in the bag for all things Rodney Rogers, to the point of not being rational.

Of the ones not already mentioned, let me offer 1993 vs Dook in Durham.

Rogers, playing in his last college game in his hometown: 14-16 FG, 7-8 FT, 35 pts, 8 reb, 3 asst, 2 bl, 2 stls. Blucas hits the big time behing the line. Rodney dunks one from underneath that's the most powerful move I've ever seen him make.
I have been trying to find this game on DVD for about two years now.
It was such an unreal performance that if you didn't see it that you wouldn't believe it.
So if u know anyone who has it let me know.

Piggy backing on RJ's greatest players thread. What's the greatest college basketball game or performance you witnessed from the crowd?

All time best performance I witnessed from the crowd was WSSU's Earl 'the Pearl' Monroe. I don't remember the opponent but it was in 1967 in the old gym on the WSSU campus. I was there with one of my high school teammates. Red Auerbach was in attendance scouting Monroe. He had a game for the ages. This was before the 3 point shot. Although I don't remember the exact numbers he was 21-22 from the foul line and 26-29 from the floor and not very many layups. Even with that offensive performance one defensive play sticks in my mind. WSSU played a 1-3-1 with Monroe playing the wing. He got a rebound, did a 180 in the air, passed the ball between his legs and hit the other WSSU guard at half court for a breakaway layup. Wow!

A close second was Len Chappel dropping 50 on Virginia in the early '60's. While 50 was impressive, more impressive was how he was able to shot with the Virginia defenders literally hanging from his massive biceps. I remember thinking the defender looking like he was doing chin-ups on Chappel's arm. I still can't believe how strong he was to get the shot off.

I didn't go to the UNC 3OT game, but the Duke 2OT was probably the most fun game I've ever seen in person

It may not have been the first time I heard it, but I am positive the first time I remember hearing that Zombie Nation song was during the Duke 2OT game.

2005 win over the goats.

One of my fondest memories in the Joel was the final home game of 2007, my senior year, when we beat UVAgina. It would be Skip's last game in the Joel.

When we beat the piss out of IU in 2004, that was pretty fun.

The 2004 UT home game is one of the best nonconference games in the Joel in terms of atmosphere.

Tie between the first ACC Championship game with the shot, beating the Heels at the Joel 88-62 on my 40th birthday and the Duke double OT win. All memories savored from time to time.

2005 win over the goats.

One of my fondest memories in the Joel was the final home game of 2007, my senior year, when we beat UVAgina. It would be Skip's last game in the Joel.

When we beat the piss out of IU in 2004, that was pretty fun.

The 2004 UT home game is one of the best nonconference games in the Joel in terms of atmosphere.

Another good one. That Texas team had a ton of talent with LaMarcus Aldridge, PJ Tucker, and Boobie Gibson.

It may not have been the first time I heard it, but I am positive the first time I remember hearing that Zombie Nation song was during the Duke 2OT game.

y Thomas O'Toole, USA TODAY
Most sports fans undoubtedly know the high-energy instrumental Kernkraft 400 by Zombie Nation and probably have jumped around to it during a college football or basketball game. "It's everywhere," says Dan Hauser, assistant athletics director at Ohio University and a former marketing director at Wake Forest.
What fans probably don't know is the song was written by a 34-year-old Munich, Germany artist named Florian Senfter, who performs as "Splank" and has never attended a college game. Reached via e-mail, he describes it as "a quirky electro song," and explains that a "remixed version with people chanting made it popular at sports events." He says the title translates to "Atomic Energy 400," and acknowledges if he knew it would be so popular, "I would have chosen a friendlier name."

Todd Scheel, whose Milwaukee company FX in Motion began playing the song at Marquette in 2002 as part of a contract for game entertainment, said he "stumbled" across the song. "It didn't take long to catch on." Scheel took it to Wake Forest for a TV game against Duke on Feb. 13, 2003, which Wake won in double overtime. Hauser said in the days after that game he received calls from schools around the nation wanting to know about that song.

"I had never heard it before," Hauser said. "I think one of the reasons it was successful (for us) is that we played it for a big conference game, we won, and it was a team with Chris Paul."

Except that game was the year before Chris Paul, right?

2005 win over UNC.

It was a huge win for us over the eventual National Champions. But it was special for me because my youngest son was a manager on that UNC team and we met on the court before the game. Then we sent him back to Chapel Hill sad!

Another great game was at the Dean Dome for senior night that season as UNC defeated Duke on a last second shot by Marvin Williams.

Wake's win vs Kansas at the Joel was a fun game, not because it was close but because we blew them out.

The 2004 UT home game was tight. I think that was the first time they did the alternating black and gold t-shirt sections.

The 77 game in the GSO Coliseum between Wake and UNC-C.

This is what I thought of first. Incredible game played at a very high level between a team that would make it to the Elite Eight (Wake) and a team that would make it to the Final Four (UNC Charlotte). Rod Griffin vs. Cornbread Maxwell. From memory, I believe Rod was 13 - 14 from the field and Cornbread did everything - brought the ball up, posted up, out front in the half court trap - he was everywhere. Awesome game that Wake squeezed out.

One great memory; myself and three friends (students) had poor seats. During the first half we noticed four empty seats at mid court about five rows off the floor. We watched the whole first half and they never were occupied so we decided to make our way down there to grab them at halftime. They were on the other side of the court from where we were sitting, so it took us a few minutes. When we got there, four other students were sitting in the seats. I figured that they had done what we were planning to do, so I pulled out our tickets and looked at them and then looked at the guys in the seats. Continuing to look at our tickets, I asked them if they were in the right seats. Assuming that we were looking at the tickets for those seats, they got up and left. We enjoyed the 2nd half from some of the best seats in the house.

Favorite non Wake game - 1990 at the Dean Dome watching the Heels lose to Georgia Tech when Rick Fox's buzzer beater was ruled too late. UNC was a top 10 team, and I spent my youth rooting for Ga Tech, having grown up in Georgia. The game inspired a lifetime of loving UNC losses.

Wake game not mentioned yet - watching Chris Paul outduel JJ Redick. I'm still amazed that Redick's game tying 3 didn't go down.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=250330154

Back