• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best College Basketball Players by Uniform Number

didn't Pete Maravich have a better college career than Jordan?

Yes. He didn't win championships but was absolutely unstoppable. If there had been three pointers when Pistol played, it's likely he would have averaged 50 ppg. Calvin Murphy also had a better college career than MJ.

Melo's one year at Cuse can't touch Tom Gola's LaSalle career. It's a joke to even compare the two. Gola won the Nit (when it was almost equal to NCAA), won the NCAA and was runner-up to Bill Russell's San Fran team.

I love Buddy Heild, but he was nowhere near as good as Rick Barry or Mark Aguirre in college.

also, to mention players like Aaron Gordon, Brice Johnson, Brook Lopez, Devonte Graham, Dellavadova, Grayson Allen, Tyler Haws, Tyler Ulis, Nolan Smith and many others shows this guy is a clown.

Last edited:
Yes. He didn't win championships but was absolutely unstoppable. If there had been three pointers when Pistol played, it's likely he would have averaged 50 ppg. Calvin Murphy also had a better college career than MJ.

Melo's one year at Cuse can't touch Tom Gola's LaSalle career. It's a joke to even compare the two. Gola won the Nit (when it was almost equal to NCAA), won the NCAA and was runner-up to Bill Russell's San Fran team.

I love Buddy Heild, but he was nowhere near as good as Rick Barry or Mark Aguirre in college.

also, to mention players like Aaron Gordon, Brice Johnson, Brook Lopez, Devonte Graham, Dellavadova, Grayson Allen, Tyler Haws, Tyler Ulis, Nolan Smith and many others shows this guy is a clown.

RJ:Big 5::cville:VA

I mean, who would you pick over some of those guys? You can't call a dude a clown if you're not going to try to pick better players... It's hard to see it now, but, in hindsight, NBA veterans' college careers are pretty exceptional. Like, Buddy Hield is an exceptional college basketball player and is turning into an exceptional professional basketball player. I definitely think that he could be compared to guys like Barry and Aguirre. The level of basketball player that you'll get in the Big 12 in the 2010s is also just leaps and bounds better than college basketball competition in the past, fwiw.

Allen Iverson at Georgetown >>>>>> Doug McDermott at Creighton. Crazy to write otherwise.

I feel like AI deserves the nod based on cultural impact alone. That being said, the author does seem to have a bad case of recency bias.

RJ:Big 5::cville:VA

I mean, who would you pick over some of those guys? You can't call a dude a clown if you're not going to try to pick better players... It's hard to see it now, but, in hindsight, NBA veterans' college careers are pretty exceptional. Like, Buddy Hield is an exceptional college basketball player and is turning into an exceptional professional basketball player. I definitely think that he could be compared to guys like Barry and Aguirre. The level of basketball player that you'll get in the Big 12 in the 2010s is also just leaps and bounds better than college basketball competition in the past, fwiw.

WTF are you talking about me not picking better players? I did it for THREE specific numbers. Don't dance and try to excuse your BS by saying I didn't pick EVERY number. The ones I had the most problems with I DID pick better players.

Ridiculous to say picking Tom Gola is about being Big 5 just because you don't know anything about the Hall of Famer. Let me tell you:

2461 points
2201 rebounds (Still the NCAA record by over 170 rebounds)
3 Times consensus 1st All American
MVP of NIT (when it was basically equal to NCAA)
MOP of NCAA Tournament
NCAA National Champion
NIT Champion
NCAA Runner-up
2 Times National Player of the Year (runner-up to Bill Russell another year)

Sorry, that's leaps and bounds better than one year at Cuse.

RE: Buddy Heild and Rick Barry

Without a three point shot (which Barry was great at), Barry averaged 29.8 ppg for three years. His junior and senior years, he averaged 32.2.ppg & 37.7ppg. He also averaged 16.5 rpg. He shot 52.2% from the field. Sorry, I love Buddy and wish the Sixers could have traded for him, but he couldn't carry Rick Barry's jock.

WTF are you talking about me not picking better players? I did it for THREE specific numbers. Don't dance and try to excuse your BS by saying I didn't pick EVERY number. The ones I had the most problems with I DID pick better players.

Ridiculous to say picking Tom Gola is about being Big 5 just because you don't know anything about the Hall of Famer. Let me tell you:

2461 points
2201 rebounds (Still the NCAA record by over 170 rebounds)
3 Times consensus 1st All American
MVP of NIT (when it was basically equal to NCAA)
MOP of NCAA Tournament
NCAA National Champion
NIT Champion
NCAA Runner-up
2 Times National Player of the Year (runner-up to Bill Russell another year)

Sorry, that's leaps and bounds better than one year at Cuse.

RE: Buddy Heild and Rick Barry

Without a three point shot (which Barry was great at), Barry averaged 29.8 ppg for three years. His junior and senior years, he averaged 32.2.ppg & 37.7ppg. He also averaged 16.5 rpg. He shot 52.2% from the field. Sorry, I love Buddy and wish the Sixers could have traded for him, but he couldn't carry Rick Barry's jock.

Buddy is averaging 28, 5, and 2 on 52% FG and 50% 3FG this season. /thread #jockcarried

Also, this is what you literally just wrote and what I was referring to re: picking better players:

This season doesn't count regarding Buddy's college career. Buddy averaged 17.4 ppg for his career vs. Barry averaging 29.8ppg for his career. Buddy shot 44.8% vs. Barry at 52.2%. Buddy averaged 5 rpg vs. 16.5 rpg. It's not even close.

BTW, one game stats are REALLLLY meaningful.

What about Gola? My bad, he can't be good since he's old.

What am I thinking? The all knowing Strick is ALWAYS right. He can NEVER be wrong (until he changes the goal posts).

No one with a scintilla of knowledge about college basketball could ever put the Gordon, et al, group into a national greatest list. You should know this.

I never knew John "Hondo" Havlichek wore #5 at OSU.

This season doesn't count regarding Buddy's college career. Buddy averaged 17.4 ppg for his career vs. Barry averaging 29.8ppg for his career. Buddy shot 44.8% vs. Barry at 52.2%. Buddy averaged 5 rpg vs. 16.5 rpg. It's not even close.

BTW, one game stats are REALLLLY meaningful.

What about Gola? My bad, he can't be good since he's old.

What am I thinking? The all knowing Strick is ALWAYS right. He can NEVER be wrong (until he changes the goal posts).

No one with a scintilla of knowledge about college basketball could ever put the Gordon, et al, group into a national greatest list. You should know this.

I was clearly joking, dude. Wow.

Maybe abut Hield's game but not about Gola or Barry being better.

Maybe abut Hield's game but not about Gola or Barry being better.

I don't give a shit about arguing about Gola or Barry. It's Thursday night. I finished work, had dinner, and I'm drinking a beer and watching NBA basketball.

(Also, opinions are like assholes.)

Can't defend, so you change the goalposts.

don't know anything about the people you post opinions about other than they are old.

Allen Iverson at Georgetown >>>>>> Doug McDermott at Creighton. Crazy to write otherwise.

Yeah, that was where I stopped reading the article.

I saw a grown woman in the ATL airport the other day wearing an Iverson Georgetown Jersey.

Doug McBuckets? No way.

I scrolled straight to #44 to make damn sure that David Thompson was the man for that jersey number. Even with the competition he had at that number, he was the man.

yeah, definitely Tom Gola

because it was really hard to put up big numbers playing against farmers in the the segregated NCAA

my bad, you're right

54492c31d6f2c.image.jpg

Yeah, that was where I stopped reading the article.

I saw a grown woman in the ATL airport the other day wearing an Iverson Georgetown Jersey.

Doug McBuckets? No way.

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. This may be the Wake homer in me talking, but no Chill or Rogers? You can make an argument for them over the ones picked if you compare career stats.

Back