• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best laptop for high school kid?

Maybe i am just unaware. What can it do that is so great - beyond being a nice, big tablet that comes with a crappy keyboard.

Tell me again which Lenovo hybrids come with a high resolution screen (better than 1080p) and touch display that support a digitizer pen like the Surface Pro's (palm rejection and a wide range of pressure sensitivity)? Like I said, I haven't looked at the lineup in awhile, just wondering if there is a true equivalent out there.

An office with a desktop is entirely acceptable for what she needs to do.

Tell me again which Lenovo hybrids come with a high resolution screen (better than 1080p) and touch display that support a digitizer pen like the Surface Pro's (palm rejection and a wide range of pressure sensitivity).

Is 3200x1800 on the Yoga 3 Pro high enough? Noted, it doesn't support a digitizer, but the Lenovo has a much, much better keyboard. Some of the other Yoga models do/did support digitizers...surprised that the latest/greatest doesn't.

Is 3200x1800 high enough? Noted, it doesn't support a digitizer, but the Lenovo has a much, much better keyboard.

The digitizer is a big deal, that's why that requirement was there (for competing with a SP3 at least).

Tell me again which Lenovo hybrids come with a high resolution screen (better than 1080p) and touch display that support a digitizer pen like the Surface Pro's (palm rejection and a wide range of pressure sensitivity)? Like I said, I haven't looked at the lineup in awhile, just wondering if there is a true equivalent out there.

To be honest, I am no expert on our products. I know our Yoga hybrid laptops (Yoga 2 and Yoga 3) have ridiculously high resolution screens and touch displays but I don't know much about their pen/digitizer capabilities - I think they have it, I just don't know much about it. I know we have some kind of Anypen technology on some of our tablets and hybrids that allow you to write on them with pretty much anything.

I know the ThinkPad Yoga products are very reliable and sturdy and provide touchscreen and laptop/tabley hybrid capability. I they also provide the write-on ability - I don't know any specifics there with respect to digitizer/palm rejection ability, etc... They also have really good keyboards.

My perspective is that we have some truly excellent, high quality products with strong capabilities - and terrible, terrible marketing so that no one knows about them or what they can do... MS has marketed the crap out of the SP 3 and it still has not been that successful. We do no marketing at all and I believe we sell more hybrids than anyone in the world...

But again, I am no expert - just bringing the alternatives to people's attention so they can do their own research.

The difference in "education" between a high-powered desktop in the family room and a laptop in their room is precisely the argument against this kind of thing.

I'm not an old-fashioned bro - I'm currently sitting next to 3 XPS 12's that I'm in the process of reimaging.

I find it completely mind boggling that it is socially acceptable to provide a 9th grader with a laptop in their room. I wouldn't even let a 9th grader have a TV in their room. That level of privacy with technology just isn't necessary at that point in their lives.

how old are your kids?

The digitizer is a big deal, that's why that requirement was there (for competing with a SP3 at least).

To you, sure. To others comparing the two devices, maybe not such a big deal. For me, the better keyboard would be more important than the pen.

Meh, everyone I know with a SP3 absolutely loves it and what it can do.

I have one and a Lenovo T450s. I prefer the Lenovo the vast majority of the time.

SP3 is nice for travel, that's about it.

To you, sure. To others comparing the two devices, maybe not such a big deal. For me, the better keyboard would be more important than the pen.

Yeah except for that entire conversation/thread started with a direct comparison of Lenovo products vs the SP3, which is why I made sure to include that in the first place (he was asking what made the SP3 special). If we're talking about a computer for college students they can take all their notes on/etc then that puts the SP3 above any Lenovo hybrids, hands down imo. If just the keyboard mattered (and a high resolution) I'd probably just go ahead and bite the bullet on a Macbook Pro, or just dock the SP3 when working at a desk.

I dealt with and helped lots of WFU students w/ the new Lenovo Carbon X1s the last couple years though, and I will say those keyboards were absolutely awful. Not sure I'd give them many points over the latest touch type keyboard on the SP3.

Yeah except for that entire conversation/thread started with a direct comparison of Lenovo products vs the SP3, which is why I made sure to include that in the first place (he was asking what made the SP3 special). If we're talking about a computer for college students they can take all their notes on/etc then that puts the SP3 above any Lenovo hybrids, hands down imo. If just the keyboard mattered (and a high resolution) I'd probably just go ahead and bite the bullet on a Macbook Pro, or just dock the SP3 when working at a desk.

I dealt with and helped lots of WFU students w/ the new Lenovo Carbon X1s the last couple years though, and I will say those keyboards were absolutely awful. Not sure I'd give them many points over the latest touch type keyboard on the SP3.

Why would you hand write notes if you had a tablet in front of you? And if you were going to hand write notes, why would you need a tablet?

Why would you hand write notes if you had a tablet in front of you? And if you were going to hand write notes, why would you need a tablet?

Because taking notes by hand is sometimes way better than having to limit yourself to just text input (ever try taking notes for a math/engineering course on a normal laptop?)? OneNote + a digitizer pen means you never have to buy notebooks again, all your notes get backed up to the cloud/can easily be shared, and you get to draw graphs/charts/illustrations as necessary when in a class. It's the future, man.

I don't think the surface pro has a huge use case outside of school/classes (digital design/illustration maybe, but even then they're probably using more sophisticated drawing tools), but it's the perfect device for that imo.

This may be a dumb question but can you bring a tablet into class with you in high school now? Or is this more for work at home?

This may be a dumb question but can you bring a tablet into class with you in high school now? Or is this more for work at home?

I guess it depends on the school? I guess I'm mainly talking about college courses, some high schools allow laptops/tablets in class though. They're required for some courses at the high school my GF works for (they have loaner chromebooks I think for days that students forget their personal laptops).

The right answer for this thread is definitely a chromebook though.

Back