• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Part of Thanksgiving Dinner

What makes you happiest?

• Turkey

Votes: 23 16.7%
  • Gravy

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Stuffing

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • Mashed Taters

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Sweet potato casserole

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • Rolls

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cranberry sauce

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Pies (dessert)

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Green bean casserole

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Mac n cheese

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My favorite is the monstrous bite that has sweet potato casserole (with brown sugar crust), green bean casserole, stuffing, turkey all sopped in gravy. That collective taste where each item contributes is the best part of my Thanksgiving meal.

(very much a fat kid answer)

I can't believe so many people are voting for stuffing. How boring are you people?

how is it boring? it's actually probably the least boring dish as far as flavor complexity when you consider that the traditional WASP thanksgiving is fucking mashed potatoes (potato, milk, butter, salt), some vegetables like green beans or corn possibly in casserole form (milk/mushroom soup/salt), a simply-dressed turkey, and a cranberry relish which is just basically cranberries and sugar.

Turkey. Far and away the most long-lasting and versatile of the Thanksgiving foods. You can fry it, bake it, stuff it, eat it with gravy, eat it on a sandwich the next day, pile veggies on top of it, etc.

My favorite: bake turkey stuffed with cajun style crawfish pie.

I thought I was the only person for whom Thanksgiving was the favorite holiday.

I went with the green bean casserole but it has to be made with french cut green beans not regular green beans. Desserts and Stuffing were also in consideration. And if you think stuffing is boring, google some recipes. There's tons of ways to make it and I guarantee you a sausage cornbread stuffing is not boring, it is delicious.

My fave is the Turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce burritos I make with the leftovers.

How was everyone's Thanksgiving?

i make a pretty mean s. potato casserole. This year, it was apple/cranberry side dish and broccoli casserole.

French's has added a cheaddar variety to their fried onions that you put on the green bean casserole. I pigged down a whole can just sitting around watching the food prep.

Butterbeans, Dixie Lee peas with okra streamed on top and corn (Silver Queen seed mixed with a yellow supersweet, G-40 maybe, looks speckled on the cob). I put these up every year. I cut the corn off the cob, then blanch. Takes more time but its worth it.

Delicious meal at my grandparents' retirement home (which meant no leftovers, but still good food). Buffet of cranberry blue cheese salad, carrot and ginger salad, rolls, creamed corn, green bean casserole, southern style green beans, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, cornbread stuffing, sage roasted turkey, honey baked ham, pecan pie, pumpkin pie with cinnamon whipped cream, apple pie, and German chocolate cake. Nom nom nom.

Best were the cornbread stuffing and pie with cinnamon whipped cream. So good.

Smoking the turkey is the way to go. Except for the apple cider making its way into the gravy...

my bro smoked our turkey for the second year in a row. it really is life changing.

Any recs for a site to look at on how to smoke a turkey?

Back