• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best (public) High Schools in the Country

My HS made the list. And Camp's HS too, which was my rival HS.

The city of Austin with three schools in the Top 100, by itself.

Austin on incline. Georgia on decline.

Although I do disagree with the big state public academies being involved in a list like this. They're essentially boarding schools. I'm looking at you NC Science & Math (and Buckets).

Thread title should be edited to say best public high schools. This is like a list of the tallest dwarves.

At first I thought it was all high schools but I see it is just solid middle class public schools. Don't want the list to start at around the 500's after all the private schools are ranked.

Yeah it would unfair if you listed schools that lied to college admissions officers about your GPA by giving you Honors credit for PE.

this is weird, my HS isn't even listed, but here are some of the previous ranks:

2003 - #188[3]
2005 - #8[4]
2006 - #38[5]
2007 - #38[6]
2008 - #42[7]
2009 - #54[8]

2010 - #22[9]

The city of Austin with three schools in the Top 100, by itself.

Austin on incline. Georgia on decline.

Although I do disagree with the big state public academies being involved in a list like this. They're essentially boarding schools. I'm looking at you NC Science & Math (and Buckets).

Why do you disagree with them being on the list? They are boarding schools.

They're public boarding schools.

It's clearly a flawed list because of selection effects. I'm guessing most of these schools are from higher income neighborhoods and/or have lots of AP/IB/magnet programs that top students use school choice to get into.

Why do you disagree with them being on the list? They are boarding schools.

They are completely unlike any of the other schools listed with them. They have extremely selective enrollment and much larger resources than most other schools, therefore giving them a huge advantage.

They should either be grouped in with private boarding schools or have their own category. This list should be about rewarding schools who actually work with the kids and resources allocated to their district. Not throughout the whole state.

They are completely unlike any of the other schools listed with them. They have extremely selective enrollment and much larger resources than most other schools, therefore giving them a huge advantage.

They should either be grouped in with private boarding schools or have their own category. This list should be about rewarding schools who actually work with the kids and resources allocated to their district. Not throughout the whole state.

Selection argument has merit, but the resource argument is present throughout the list. Rich suburbs are all over the place.

Selection argument has merit, but the resource argument is present throughout the list. Rich suburbs are all over the place.

True, but I'd imagine they still have more resources (i.e. better teachers) than most of those schools in the 'burbs. And their ability to draft the best and the brightest just makes them a completely different animal.

True, but I'd imagine they still have more resources (i.e. better teachers) than most of those schools in the 'burbs. And their ability to draft the best and the brightest just makes them a completely different animal.

Yeah but they're open to the entire state. The difference between the public boarding schools and private elites is that the public school admission is completely merit-based.

Mine's #1434. I was accepted to #14, but don't for one second regret my decision to go where I went.

Back