• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best (public) High Schools in the Country

Damn my WHIRLEEZ have dropped over 900 spots since I graduated. I think we were around 70 back in the day.

This methodology has to be skewed against smaller schools somehow. I don't see any 1a or 2a schools from NC on the list, save for Thomas Jefferson which is a charter school. Based solely on test scores and graduation rates, the school I work at is at or near tops in the state, and isn't represented on the list. If a school in the human wasteland that is G-vegas is a better school than mine, I may have to reconsider my career and life choices.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You shut your whore mouth, buddy.

Sadly, Career Center of WSFCS does not graduate students so it does not make the list. :-(

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You shut your whore mouth, buddy.

Unfortunately, my whore mouth is festering with such a wide plethora of VD's from breathing in that Greenville air for the four years I was there during undergrad, it now hangs permanently agape. Public school trash for the loss.

What's small? I think my high school graduates less than 100 each year and made it.

Not even gonna look.. No way did my podunk high school make that list. I was one of the few who actually went to a four year university at all.

Damn my WHIRLEEZ have dropped over 900 spots since I graduated. I think we were around 70 back in the day.

I am a Whirlie too. The top level classes at Grimsley are still really good, but the average level classes have digressed.

This methodology has to be skewed against smaller schools somehow. I don't see any 1a or 2a schools from NC on the list, save for Thomas Jefferson which is a charter school.

RCHS was top-10 when I was there. Good times. And we're 1A, mako.

I will point out that we're public. Like it's a lottery to get in.

Last edited:
I am a Whirlie too. The top level classes at Grimsley are still really good, but the average level classes have digressed.

I think you mean regressed, but now we all know which level you were in. ;)

I think you mean regressed, but now we all know which level you were in. ;)

I struggled through AP English with the best of them.

Always a math nerd. Good enough in English to get by.

This is a list of public schools.

Hmm, had no idea NCCSM and Guilford were public. I suppose the distinction I meant to make was that RCHS doesn't, as far as I remember, use a stringent application process to make acceptance offers. We take everybody based on family lineage (i.e. my younger sister was automatically accepted) and a lottery. Not sure how many schools high up on that list are the same.

Should change thread title to best public schools. This is not a list of best high schools in the country.

Would be like saying U Michigan is the best college. Its not.

Should change thread title to best public schools. This is not a list of best high schools in the country.

Would be like saying U Michigan is the best college. Its not.

Fine, title changed

But I still would say most of the top 30 public schools on the list are better than 95% of private schools

Back