• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Ways to Gain Weight?

HalIncandenza

Reaction score
I eat like a fat kid, but creeping towards 30, I'm still criminally underweight, like 40 pounds lighter than when I was in high school. What are some good ways to gain weight, without getting too much into protein shakes and the like?

The more natural, the better. Anything that can be done at home is preferable.

Gracias in advance.

Get a back injury, preferably with follow up epidural steroid shots. Worked wonders for me.

I eat like a fat kid, but creeping towards 30, I'm still criminally underweight, like 40 pounds lighter than when I was in high school. What are some good ways to gain weight, without getting too much into protein shakes and the like?

The more natural, the better. Anything that can be done at home is preferable.

Gracias in advance.

Good problem to have. I'd lift weights and each voraciously. Also, beer.

That's the other thing, I drink quite a bit of beer, almost all microbrews(outside of the occasional Black & Tan Yuengling or original Bud) and never the light variety either. Can't gain a pound.

And for those who say it's a good problem, it's certainly better than being a majorly fatty boombah, but being unhealthily skinny isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/

Here’s Phelps’s typical menu. (No, he doesn’t choose among these options. He eats them all, according to the Post.)

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/

Here’s Phelps’s typical menu. (No, he doesn’t choose among these options. He eats them all, according to the Post.)

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

I hate him. I probably only eat about 1500 to 2000 calories per day, depending on the day, and I'm still fat as shit.

Peanut Butter, try different kinds of foods. Some people can eat high fat diets and not gain a pound where others eat high fats and pack the pounds on. Some go high calorie (not just fat) and that does the trick.
Peanut Butter is a good option, because it's awesome and loaded with fat and calories.
I'm always a little skeptical of people who say they eat a lot and don't gain weight. I suspect you still could eat more.
I wish I had your problem, well, not that I want to be "criminally underweight" but I wish I had the problem where I was trying to gain weight but couldn't.

Peanut Butter, try different kinds of foods. Some people can eat high fat diets and not gain a pound where others eat high fats and pack the pounds on. Some go high calorie (not just fat) and that does the trick.
Peanut Butter is a good option, because it's awesome and loaded with fat and calories.
I'm always a little skeptical of people who say they eat a lot and don't gain weight. I suspect you still could eat more.
I wish I had your problem, well, not that I want to be "criminally underweight" but I wish I had the problem where I was trying to gain weight but couldn't.

Probably true, but my wife and I figured it out one day and I average ~3500 calories a day, before beverages (which usually include a couple cups of coffee, one de-caffeinated soda and 2 beers with the occasional glass of wine). I don't exercise all that much. Would the weight training really add that much or would it just burn off the calories?

I don't know jack about exercise regimens, but I'm a fairly muscular person, just extremely lean.

Possibly pertinent, but probably not: I had a tumor about 5 years ago, which is when I dropped all the weight originally. I still get checked out, so I'm not concerned that it actively hampers my weight, but is that type of loss something that is harder to gain back?

Possibly pertinent, but probably not: I had a tumor about 5 years ago, which is when I dropped all the weight originally. I still get checked out, so I'm not concerned that it actively hampers my weight, but is that type of loss something that is harder to gain back?

Has your doctor told you that you are too underweight? If not, then you're probably fine.

Have you discussed your inability to gain weight with your doctor? If there is a medical reason hampering your ability to gain back some of the weight you lost, then you may need to work with a doctor/nutritionist on the appropriate type of plan based on your particular metabolic issues.

Hal, you seem like a nice guy. But there are prolly many on this board who hate you right now.

My suggestion is even more beer.

Lifting weights is a bad idea unless you change your diet accordingly

I would not consider 2 beers a night to be "quite a bit of beer". Take it up to around 10. That is your answer.

Has your doctor told you that you are too underweight? If not, then you're probably fine.

Have you discussed your inability to gain weight with your doctor? If there is a medical reason hampering your ability to gain back some of the weight you lost, then you may need to work with a doctor/nutritionist on the appropriate type of plan based on your particular metabolic issues.

No, and it may be kind of stupid, but I basically just get scanned every year, they look at the results and tell me I'm good. We don't really discuss anything else. Is this the type of thing people would go to a GP about or would a person go straight to a nutritionist? I haven't gone to a primary care dude since I moved to Winston about 3 years ago, so I'd feel kind of silly making an appointment for this reason.

No, and it may be kind of stupid, but I basically just get scanned every year, they look at the results and tell me I'm good. We don't really discuss anything else. Is this the type of thing people would go to a GP about or would a person go straight to a nutritionist? I haven't gone to a primary care dude since I moved to Winston about 3 years ago, so I'd feel kind of silly making an appointment for this reason.

I would probably discuss with a doctor first, to rule out any underlying medical reasons keeping you from gaining weight. If there was a metabolic issue, you could change your eating habits & exercise regime all you want and you would still have problems gaining weight.

Back