• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best wine for under $40

That could definitely be fun. Let's kick it off with 19 Crimes: can only go downhill from there!

Alright everybody, what are we getting for Thanksgiving? My go to is some champagne for the parade and start of football, maybe a switch to beer for early afternoon/mid-afternoon, and then something that is a people pleaser for dinner depending on the level of wine fanhood for those attending.

This year it's just my MIL, my wife and I. She loves bubbles and my wife and I are down to drink most anything. Doing a pork-a-palooza with plenty of bacon options in sides after a prosciutto plate and then probably pork tenderloin for the main course.

Have a 2005 Lanson Champagne I'm thinking for the bubbles, may grab a magnum of Dr. Loosen Spatlese for an easy drinker + acid, and leaning towards either a Brunello or Barolo for a red at dinner (have a decent number of 2016s stockpiled which are going to be young but we'll have ample time to decant).

Yeah it's like an hour east of Augusta. Near Rockport so plenty of other things to do, I just tend to go into the woods after hitting Portland. I'll have to look for it next time I am up there--you have made me quite curious.
I'm gonna have to do the same since it's only about 45 mins from my MIL's house. A few years ago we rented a limo and had it drive us around to a bunch of wineries up there and although the vast majority were pretty shitty, it was still a lot of fun. Most, if not all, were fruit wines so I'm also curious about this one now.

going with macrostie's "the loch" 2018 pinot noir. a brunello is also a really good idea...i have a few of those that i have been sitting on.

Went to a Beaujolais Nouveau wine dinner last night for Nouveau Day. Alongside the typical Nouveau release, we also got to try a Beaujolais Blanc and two Cru Beaujolais from the same producer. The Blanc was surprisingly tasty - some salinity and acidity but retained round edges with a lot of fruit. The best was definitely the 2017 Cote de Brouilly - smooth tannins, bright red fruit, light earthy notes and a great example of the terroir.

going with macrostie's "the loch" 2018 pinot noir. a brunello is also a really good idea...i have a few of those that i have been sitting on.
I went to the macrostie winery last weekend. Really cool setup, tasting was fun. Didn't end up buying anything because I spent too much at merry edwards, robert young and Hartford - but the wines were good.

I haven't had any Macrostie stuff but I've only heard good things.

Attended a large Greek wine tasting yesterday and got to try a 1999 Crete wine (native blend) and a 2006 Naoussa (Xinomavro). There was supposed to be a 1984 Xinomavro but it was unfortunately corked. Some cool back vintage bottles that were directly from the estate cellar.

The 2006 was delicious. Tannins fully resolved, great floral aromatics that I would've guessed Nebbiolo if it were blind, but a persistent briny/olive note that reminded me of a Syrah. I'd imagine it has 10-15 years of life left in it still based on the fruit.

I think Im going old vine zin for thanksgiving. I ended up grabbing a few bottles of the 2020 Limerick Lane Zin - its pretty good. As a backup, I drove to Jersey, which I don't wish on my worst enemies, and picked up a few bottles of the 337 Pinot Noir from Total Wine. Super cheap and nothing special, but easy drinker and everyone generally enjoys it.

Went with a magnum of 2014 Dr. Loosen, a 2016 Brunello, and some Italian sparkling wine for Thanksgiving. The Riesling will age forever and was still pretty youthful: petrol, ripe pear and apple, very bright acidity, and some sweetness (spatlese). The Brunello also needed some more time but I have another couple bottles and wanted to see where it stood. We decanted it for an hour but it was drinking much better after three hours or so on the last glass: great red fruit and round tannins with a little grit. The Italian sparkling is always delicious, this one was Ribolla Gialla and a lot of fresh fruit and acidity.

Kosta Browne Pinot Noir for the main event (more than $40), followed by pounding Colene Clemens Pinot Noir (under $40).

Caldwell Gold with Thanksgiving dinner, then some 2015 Barolo and 2012 Brunello over the next two nights. Also some homemade wine which was just barely drinkable.

I went to the macrostie winery last weekend. Really cool setup, tasting was fun. Didn't end up buying anything because I spent too much at merry edwards, robert young and Hartford - but the wines were good.

we went to Macrostie a few weeks ago (a few days after the Clemson game). Enjoyed the Pinots there and then hit Bacigalupi, just down the hill, for some nice Zins.

both usually available at Total Wine and worth it

Ridge has such good Zinfandels - so good with smoked meat or braised short ribs

Though it has admittedly been awhile for me, Turley was always a favorite go to.

Rueda makes some great wine and like a lot of other Spanish wines represents a great value on the market. I haven't had that particular one but think it compares favorably to Sauvignon Blanc drinkers.

What's everybody doing for wine on Christmas. I have some bubbles and trying to find a good fit for a beef tenderloin - lots of good options there. Probably end up doing a Syrah or Bordeaux. My wife and I are really the only people in the family into wine so a good value Bordeaux is likely the best spot I think.

we make indian food on Christmas, so probably a merlot or some mellow white

Back