• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Screen TV thread

PhillyDeac

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my big screen TV. I'm interested in watching Penn State and all it's glory on a MUCH bigger tv. 50"+, regular basement (no lighting issues, or anything like that), any suggestions based on your buying history? thanks.

I got a 60" Samsung LED a few months ago from BJs (appropriate for Penn State) that thas a great picture. It also has the built-in Netflix, Amazon, and other apps which is convenient. My one complaint is that we upgraded from an older 50" Samsung plasma, and on the new one at night it really catches the reflections of the lights in our kitchen to the point that I get up and shut the lights off, which pisses off the wife if she is doing something in the kitchen (which is admittedly rare). The plasma didn't do that, I guess an advantage of the glass over the plastic maybe.

LED
120Hz or greater
I have two great LG screens, but avoid the gimmicky remote/interface that comes with some models. I pretty much need to have a "go back" button and "aspect/zoom toggle" button.

I have the predecessor to this tv, the ST60 - I waffled over Samsung, but there are light pop issues with some of the new samsungs and they are not as easy to fix - the smart Panasonic can update on the fly to fix problems and bugs through the wifi connection. All around amazing tv.

I like the 3d - I have Verizon FiOS as a provider, so I have HBO 3D on demand movies and can rent new movies in 3d for $6/$7 - its not bad. The glasses are a bit expensive, but I only needed one extra pair.

lol who says big screen TV anymore?

i have the 2 year old 55" version of this. it's fantastic. i could not be happier. i paid a similar price from amazon and actually signed up for a prime free trial and saved a little under 200 bucks on shipping. ended up being 300 or more less than anywhere i could find locally.

also of note, every review i have ever seen about tv's (consumer reports etc) says when in doubt go bigger if price is not a deal breaker.

I want to upgrade my big screen TV. I'm interested in watching Penn State and all it's glory on a MUCH bigger tv. 50"+, regular basement (no lighting issues, or anything like that), any suggestions based on your buying history? thanks.

on a TV like that all those little boy dongs that Sandusky touched might look life-size

I have the predecessor to this tv, the ST60 - I waffled over Samsung, but there are light pop issues with some of the new samsungs and they are not as easy to fix - the smart Panasonic can update on the fly to fix problems and bugs through the wifi connection. All around amazing tv.

I like the 3d - I have Verizon FiOS as a provider, so I have HBO 3D on demand movies and can rent new movies in 3d for $6/$7 - its not bad. The glasses are a bit expensive, but I only needed one extra pair.

do you get strong and watch 3D?

see i don't get the 3D appeal. I think if I found a badass tv at a good price and it happened to have 3D then cool, but I can't see myself going out of my way to get it.

see i don't get the 3D appeal. I think if I found a badass tv at a good price and it happened to have 3D then cool, but I can't see myself going out of my way to get it.

i think that is what is happening. most med-high end tvs are including it so if you want the better pictures it's becoming just about standard. tv makers thought it would be the next big thing but that has not happened yet. i don't know anyone that watches it regularly. if my kids were older (1 and 4 now) they might be into it for an occasional movie but i believe it is recommended against kids under 6 or 8 watching 3d because their eyes are still developing.

Or for half the price, skip the 3D

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ARAHBK0

I hate 3d as well - but the price difference between those two sets has almost nothing to do with 3D. The VT60 is their flagship line and is vastly superior picture-wise to the budget S series.

That being said, the S series is an incredible value. It's biggest knock is the lack of features and it doesn't have the nice anti-glare coating the higher spec Panny's do. It also doesn't get as bright as the ST and up sets. But in a dark room, still nothing to sneeze at. Great bang for the buck.

I have the GT, but only because it was on sale for the price of the ST - which to me is the ultimate mix of picture quality and value, assuming you're not in a super bright room and aren't using the monitor as a computer screen. Then I'd look LED. Just be prepared to spend a lot more money for comparable LED picture quality.

I bought a 60in Vizio Razor LED SmartTV a few months back and have been very pleased. about $900 at Costco.

Back