• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Big Screen TV thread

If you've got a basement with no lighting issues, just go projector these days. I've got a 140" screen, and sports on that is just ridic.

If you've got a basement with no lighting issues, just go projector these days. I've got a 140" screen, and sports on that is just ridic.

This is really a great idea if you have the right basement for it. I've always wanted to get a nice projector.

Networks are shutting down their 3D, it just never developed. 4K is the new thing TV makers are trying to sell

What is the life span of a flat-screen these days?

Networks are shutting down their 3D, it just never developed. 4K is the new thing TV makers are trying to sell

What is the life span of a flat-screen these days?

Shorter than it should be. Longer than you'd like.

I have the predecessor to this tv, the ST60 - I waffled over Samsung, but there are light pop issues with some of the new samsungs and they are not as easy to fix - the smart Panasonic can update on the fly to fix problems and bugs through the wifi connection. All around amazing tv.

I like the 3d - I have Verizon FiOS as a provider, so I have HBO 3D on demand movies and can rent new movies in 3d for $6/$7 - its not bad. The glasses are a bit expensive, but I only needed one extra pair.

And I've got the cheaper version of this model, the S60. Viera plasmas have the best picture on the market at nearly every price point.

TV technology will follow the lead of NHK. They were the first to seriously develop HD. And they passed on 3D. They will start broadcasting in 4K next year. And have already gotten serious on 8K, with broadcasting planned by the Tokyo Olympics.

And I've got the cheaper version of this model, the S60. Viera plasmas have the best picture on the market at nearly every price point.

I have an S50. Ridiculous TV for the price. I highly recommend the Panasonic plasmas. As long as you don't have a lot of ambient light issues, the S is fine. Otherwise, you'll wish you got the higher end models with antiglare. I have no need for all the other features and two HDMI inputs was plenty for me as I run everything through my receiver. I basically just needed the TV to be a monitor. I think we got that S50 on a black Friday Amazon deal for $499 and shipping was free thanks to good old Amazon prime. The delivery guy unpacked the TV and plugged it in to make sure it worked and was not damaged. All I did was put the stand on it, sit it on my entertainment center and plug the HDMI cables in. (And then spend an hour playing with picture controls and looking up "best" settings online.)

Back