• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

At my R1 public, at least, there is no graduated cost system that kicks in at candidacy. And outside of STEM, grants or labs don't start picking up the bill after a couple of years. But our system is super antiquated and they try a different work-around every couple of years. But I definitely see these strategies as trying to navigate ridiculous state tax rules than an effort to exploit loopholes.

And this does not even include the estate tax and middle class cost increases associated with higher premiums from killing the mandate.

And this does not even include the estate tax and middle class cost increases associated with higher premiums from killing the mandate.

They're having everything expire in 10 years so they'll just have to renew the stuff then. But not taking like $40-50k for the next 10 years cause you're worried about year 11 seems dumb dumb.

They're having everything expire in 10 years so they'll just have to renew the stuff then. But not taking like $40-50k for the next 10 years cause you're worried about year 11 seems dumb dumb.

They are having the individual tax cuts expire, not the corporate cuts, which is telling. If you intend them to be permanent, make them permanent in the bill. They can't do that now because it would explode the deficit with all the other tax cuts they are giving, but the priority is clearly not tax cuts for the poor and middle class. The changes in the way inflation is measured via chained CPI are also permanent, which is a sneaky tax hike for everyone. Also, the poor are worse off as soon as 2021 with this bill.

They are having the individual tax cuts expire, not the corporate cuts, which is telling. If you intend them to be permanent, make them permanent in the bill. They can't do that now because it would explode the deficit with all the other tax cuts they are giving, but the priority is clearly not tax cuts for the poor and middle class. The changes in the way inflation is measured via chained CPI are also permanent, which is a sneaky tax hike for everyone. Also, the poor are worse off as soon as 2021 with this bill.

Yeah but as you said they have to let it expire otherwise it would need 60 votes. So aren't most better off doing this than doing nothing at all?

Yeah but as you said they have to let it expire otherwise it would need 60 votes. So aren't most better off doing this than doing nothing at all?

They don't HAVE to. They could easily make permanent tax cuts for the lower and middle class. They would just have to get rid of the massive cuts for the wealthy, and make the corporate cut smaller.

Putting the bootstraps into the shredder

I'm beginning to think the whole bootstraps narrative is a way for conservatives to justify gutting public welfare and education programs in order to lower their taxes.

They don't HAVE to. They could easily make permanent tax cuts for the lower and middle class. They would just have to get rid of the massive cuts for the wealthy, and make the corporate cut smaller.

Holy fucking shit no way?!?!?!?!?!

yeah but why would anyone prey on the sick, needy, and uneducated in our society to help the strongest and most fortunate? You'd have to be a tremendous asshole to support that kind of thinking, right?

or you're wealthy and need handouts from the government for yourself or your business(es)

Even the .1% increase in income for high earners is like oh thank you so much for that extra 300 dollars I owe you everything.

Aside from the estate tax which I think everyone here agrees is dumb , what are the massive cuts for the wealthy (and what are we defining as wealthy). I'm guessing if they make the tax cuts permanent there's no way to pass the "not raising the deficit after 10 years" rule.

Back