• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

DonaldRoss was right, none of y'all can ever envision running a business, let alone 15.

Perhaps. But I do think anyone who is blaming the American government for not being able to run/start a business probably isn't suited to run/start one anyway.

Last edited:
Poll: Economists Unanimous That Debt Would Balloon Under GOP Tax Plan

Can you imagine the Pub responses to Dems if they were in charge and trying to do something good (infrastructure, health care, environment/energy, etc.) that would cost (add to the national debt) 1-1.5 trillion (or so)? They would be apoplectic.

Anyhow, so we'll just grow the debt to mainly benefit the most wealthy and get...little to no economic benefits collectively. And at the same time we're deregulating business and environmental protections, and this will likely cause damages we'll all end up paying a price for.

This is Republican "populism".

Last edited:
Just a guess, someone smarter than me should run the numbers, but for 1.5 trillion over 10 years you could probably add a Medicaid for all option to everyone and raise taxes a few percentage points on the highest margins to pay for it and save middle class people a lot of money. Let people stay in their private insurance if they want to. :noidea:

There's a lot you could to with $1.5T. Taking health care out of the hands of employers would help them save money and could actually grow the economy.

New dynamic score shows the Senate tax bill raises debt by more than advertised

To comply with the terms of the Byrd Rule that allows Senate Republicans to bypass a Democratic filibuster, the tax plan must meet two conditions. On the one hand, it needs to comply with the budget resolution’s mandate to raise the deficit by no more than $1.5 trillion over 10 years. According to Penn-Wharton, it does that. But on the other hand, it needs to not increase the long-term deficit in the years following.

And here’s where Penn-Wharton says that there’s a problem: “We estimate that the Senate TCJA continues to reduce revenue in years beyond the 10-year budget window.”

Critically, this conclusion does not change when they attempt a “dynamic” score that considers the potential growth-boosting effects of tax cuts. Instead, they find that “the Senate Tax Cuts and Jobs Act reduces federal tax revenue in both the short- and long-run relative to current policy. In the near term, there is a small boost to GDP, but that increase diminishes over time.”

Damnit, what the hell happened to the deduction for daycare expenses?

Are they doing anything with deductions for college tuition costs?

Never mind, I just looked it up.

Sigh.

Last edited:
?

Pretty sure that in multiple ways these proposals are going to raise the costs of attending college and of financing that cost (for those needing to finance it).

Seems swell.

Yes, by all means let’s transfer more money to our colleges.

Posted on a college alumni/fan message board.

It's amazing how conservatives have all of a sudden turned against higher education.

?

Pretty sure that in multiple ways these proposals are going to raise the costs of attending college and of financing that cost (for those needing to finance it).

Seems swell.

My point is that colleges will simply raise tuitions more if the government makes college “more affordable “. Any breaker for education is just a transfer from tax payers to colleges. Just like mortgage interest deductions is a transfer from taxpayers to homeowners.

I’m fine with education but the constant increases of tuition well above the inflation rate do nothing to educate more individuals or improve the education that anyone is receiving.

Back