• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

I'll post this here so maybe I remember it when "entitlement reform" comes up next year.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/12/grandparents-raiding-grandchildren/548117/

TL,DR: The Boomers have run up the debt, they aren't really "paying for" their own Social Security and Medicare, but they all vote Republican. Therefore the Ryan plan will be slash all spending on poor and young people to pay out the Boomers, then slash Social Security and Medicare on those same poor and young people when they get older.

Too bad young people don't pay attention to elections, because they're getting a screw job for the ages.

I'll post this here so maybe I remember it when "entitlement reform" comes up next year.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/12/grandparents-raiding-grandchildren/548117/

TL,DR: The Boomers have run up the debt, they aren't really "paying for" their own Social Security and Medicare, but they all vote Republican. Therefore the Ryan plan will be slash all spending on poor and young people to pay out the Boomers, then slash Social Security and Medicare on those same poor and young people when they get older.

Too bad young people don't pay attention to elections, because they're getting a screw job for the ages.

ph and i have said it for years: people under 40 need their own AARP

ph and i have said it for years: people under 40 need their own AARP

So much this. So much this.

It kills me when I ask my students if they've heard about different political issues and they haven't. I get it though. They're in school. They have lives to lead. They have responsibilities. They have fun. But somebody needs to be representing their interests full-time.

DQ2pmsbX4AIR0mf.jpg:large

https://itep.org/who-is-america-fir...foreign-investors-second-then-the-rest-of-us/

Why are the foreigners making more than 60% of Americans?

The person who wrote that quote doesn't understand how SS works. Current taxes pays for current beneficiaries. No one has money in an "account".

Young people will get screwed. Any young person who votes Republican is voting dramatically against their own self-interests.

LOL looks like they are lowering the top rate in the final bill down from 39.6% in the Senate Bill to 37%. It's for the middle class though.

(Palma kneels down, puts head back, smiles into the camera as the goo trickles onto his face)

Why? You are still getting your tax cut. Isn't that enough for you? You should be happy.

Before that change, we would quote things like "the rich are getting 1.3% savings" when in actuality, some rich folks were really getting fucked, and some were making off well. It sort of made sense to me that the fed govt shouldn't subsidize CA's 13% tax rate compared to Texas's 0%. Also made sense that restaurant owners should get a better tax rate than lawyers.

But now there's no "rich" person getting screwed, just a few select rich people saving 10%.

CA federal taxes subsidize other states.

Other reports have it at a lower number. But there's something else, you are talking about a population of over 11% of the US population and about 13.2% of GDP. Thus, even at only giving 5% more, the amount we don't get back is probably much, much more than the next 5-10 states combined.

Yes, Californians subsidize more non-Californians than anyone else by a wide margin.

Back