• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

lol, watching This Week now, they played a clip for Cornyn of him in 2010 claiming the Republicans would gain seats in November 2010 if the Dems pushed through with ACA on a party line vote. (His response "well we did pick up seven seats." Then claimed they went through the regular process and blamed Dems for not voting for their bill.)

When asked about a specific provision he responded along the lines of "well that is just one part of a 1,000 page bill..." I swear they don't remember the arguments they used against the ACA for the last eight years.

They do. They don't care and they know rubes don't either.

The rubes weren't enough in Alabama. Alabama!

My broader point is that the Republicans spent the better part of the last decade teaching the Democrats how to make this bill toxic.

The rubes weren't enough in Alabama. Alabama!

My broader point is that the Republicans spent the better part of the last decade teaching the Democrats how to make this bill toxic.

I would bet over half the people who think the bill is bad have no idea they're going to benefit from it. So I'm just not sold on it being toxic. Although I will say the last minute change of the top tax rate down to 37% was beyond dumb politically, unless it was really needed to get house pubs on board.

Next Up: Tax Reform

I think they realize how much they benefit will be countered by how much they'll be harmed. That and they actually care about other people who aren't as well off as themselves.

"People will like it once they see the good it does" was the Dems argument about the ACA. Mitch McConnell knew that you can make any bill toxic if it is supported only by one party - people don't trust politicians (both sides), so they assume a bill with no bipartisan support is bad.

It's how the Republicans made the ACA toxic - slam the other party on the partisan vote, criticize the rushed process, the 1,000 page bill that no one had read, the complexity, the kickbacks to certain politicians. The process for this tax bill was everything they exaggerated to claim the ACA process was. Dems can do the same while pointing at the headlines about Walmart's record-breaking profits. Dems have an additional argument in that they can point out all the cuts the politicians gave themselves. This kickback for Corker looks awful politically.

Assuming the Dems have been paying attention.

Last edited:
GOP Christmas present to 13 million Americans: we're taking the burden of heath insurance off your shoulders

"People will like it once they see the good it does" was the Dems argument about the ACA. Mitch McConnell knew that you can make any bill toxic if it is supported only by one party - people don't trust politicians (both sides), so they assume a bill with no bipartisan support is bad.

It's how the Republicans made the ACA toxic - slam the other party on the partisan vote, criticize the rushed process, the 1,000 page bill that no one had read, the complexity, the kickbacks to certain politicians. The process for this tax bill was everything they exaggerated to claim the ACA process was. Dems can do the same while pointing at the headlines about Walmart's record-breaking profits. Dems have an additional argument in that they can point out all the cuts the politicians gave themselves. This kickback for Corker looks awful politically.

Assuming the Dems have been paying attention.

Well the difference is after the ACA the premiums doubled in a few years for the 90% of people not on the exchanges. After tax reform, 90% of people will get larger paychecks.

there's only one important thing about this tax bill:

4_grande.png

Trump ran on getting rid of carried interest. OOOPS, it's still in there.

You have to really fuck up a proposal to give people more money (allegedly) and have them disapprove of it.

Havent you heard, true Americans (around 30% of them - uneducated middle-class whites who are busy tugging bootstraps but have an uncanny ability to spot fake news and understand complicated economic theories and projections and know the liberal media is swaying public opinion to continue to tax them and give it to degenerate lazies) get it and support anything this president says is good for them because he cares about them?

For comparison:

Back