• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

Bush's approval rating around that time was 56%. Republican tax cut approval tracks with Presidential approval.

"People will like it once they see the good it does" was the Dems argument about the ACA. Mitch McConnell knew that you can make any bill toxic if it is supported only by one party - people don't trust politicians (both sides), so they assume a bill with no bipartisan support is bad.

Question: did people like it once they saw it? Was it a lie then and now, or was it true then and could be true now?

Most interesting article or opinion I've read taking down the tax reform. I don't know enough about the international portion of taxes to have any idea if its accurate or not.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/14/opini...l-small-business-zimmerman-opinion/index.html

She doesn't know what she is talking about. This will actually increase the international portion of taxes of companies that set up no tax intangible deferral schemes. And they were never repatriating that money anyway.

just to reiterate Chris' point, this was one of the dumbest articles I have read about this bill. She clearly has NO idea how the tax system really works.

Question: did people like it once they saw it? Was it a lie then and now, or was it true then and could be true now?

It was pretty unpopular until Republicans tried to take it away.

It's not that it is a lie, it's just naive. Passing the bill is just the beginning of the sales pitch, especially when the opposite side is doing a sales pitch of their own. They needed to convince people that the good things that came out of it were a results of that bill.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, there was a reason the Republicans mailed people a check right after the Bush tax cuts were passed. So they could point at it and say "see! That was us!" Dems included a tax cut in the stimulus package, and almost no one noticed.

Republicans still have time to convince people they'll win under this bill. But they've been doing an awful job so far.

ACA has been more popular than ever.

I was listening to On Point today talking about Amazon Flex, their entry into the "gig economy." I occurred to me that the term originated as the health care debate started. Uber was founded about that time. But ACA wasn't really pitched as a way to address the gig economy and give people more freedom to be independent contractors. Nancy Pelosi kind of made those points in her famous "pass it to know what's in it" speech. But the whole gig economy framework was new and ACA was so forward thinking, that it was tough to sell to the masses.

Now the "gig economy" is very popular and I think if universal health care was pitched with flexibility and freedom in mind, it would get a lot of support.

That guy is a first class asshole. He got all sanctimonious a few weeks back about starting life out poor and how he would never screw the poor

Yeah. That was when he said there wasn't enough money for CHIP.

any change to the rental real estate pass-throughs is complete bullshit. The economy doesn't care whatsoever who the landlords are, so there's no reason to provide that benefit other than to inflate the value of real estate. Mixed with taking away the incentives to own, there could be seismic shifts in the real estate market of ridiculous things such as where you're better off buying your best friends house and vice versa and renting it to each other.

The Republican Tax Bill Is a Gift to the Washington “Blob”

This episode represents a marked shift in how self-interest plays out in Washington, even compared with a few years ago. During the health care debate from 2009 to 2010, Senator Ben Nelson was savaged over the “Cornhusker kickback,” which would have subsidized Nebraska’s share of payments for expanding Medicaid; the provision was pulled from the final legislation. Similar deals increased Medicaid spending in Louisiana to win Senator Mary Landrieu’s vote and gave a $100 million grant for a public hospital in Connecticut to win Senator Chris Dodd’s. But at least those measures were intended to benefit residents of particular states—some of their poorest citizens, in fact. In the case of Corker, he gets the benefit personally.

There is something interesting in these pass through rules in that the deduction is capped on W2 wages. So a very successful pass through may need to raise its wages in order to claim the deduction. Now an owner can simply raise their own wages via a year end bonus, but if they exempt owners and related parties from that calculation, which they might..... that could serve to actually push market wages higher.

There is something interesting in these pass through rules in that the deduction is capped on W2 wages. So a very successful pass through may need to raise its wages in order to claim the deduction. Now an owner can simply raise their own wages via a year end bonus, but if they exempt owners and related parties from that calculation, which they might..... that could serve to actually push market wages higher.

lol

I know that simplifying the tax code was not the only goal, but it did seem to be a primary marketed goal. This bill does not seem to accomplish that goal.....at all. It seems that they have actually added complexity as they have negotiated to obtain necessary votes.
Not to mention, this is just a bullshit bill. Where is Jimmie Kimmel when we need him to educate the masses and put pressure on our crooked politicians. They are trying to buy our support of the bill with tax cuts while they enrich themselves and their primary donors?

Next Up: Tax Reform

I know that simplifying the tax code was not the only goal, but it did seem to be a primary marketed goal. This bill does not seem to accomplish that goal.....at all. It seems that they have actually added complexity as they have negotiated to obtain necessary votes.
Not to mention, this is just a bullshit bill. Where is Jimmie Kimmel when we need him to educate the masses and put pressure on our crooked politicians. They are trying to buy our support of the bill with tax cuts while they enrich themselves and their primary donors?

There's no real legit reason to last minute drop the top tax rate from 39.6 to 37 for those making over a million.

My main gripe over the coverage was IMO the false narrative the rich benefitted when others didn't. That wasn't necessarily true until that change at the end, although most the poor are still probably better off. The coverage and analysis before that was lazy, partisan and annoying.

I could logically support a bill that fucked over rich Californians, a group I'd likely qualify as, if not now in the near future. Now I'll take my 4 grand, but it seems more dirty.

Last edited:
Back