• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biker w/o helmet dies protesting helmet laws

I love how the spokesman defends him riding without a helmet even though he just got killed.

Like I've always said, America gives everyone the right to be an idiot, and my job is to defend that right.

It doesn't mean you have to use it, and especially doesn't mean you have to off yourself exercising it though.

Wait, I thought irony is like rain on your wedding day or a free ride when you've already paid.

I think the same thing happened to some chick in FL who was a big part of the no helmet laws movement.

As far as helmet laws, I don't really have an opinion, but I'm also not a motorcycle rider. On the one hand I see the point about it being an individual's choice. On the other hand, though, why doesn't the same logic apply to seat belts?

There was one statement in the article that irritated me, though.

ABATE of NY Inc. is organizing a memorial "to honor an individual who rode for freedom and risked his all for freedom," he said.

As a former soldier and someone who continues to work with the U.S. military and a lot of law enforcement, I don't really see a guy riding without a helmet as risking his all for freedom. I'll concede he was "riding for freedom," but he didn't risk his all for freedom. He risked his all because he doesn't want to wear a helmet.

I hate paternalistic laws like this. Guy didn't want to wear a helmet and he didn't and he bore the consequences. Anybody that doesn't know that smoking or riding motorcycles is dangerous is a fucking moron.

part of me doesn't like these laws, because if you want to put your life in danger, go ahead. but the other part of me knows how i feel when i drive into SC and there are all sorts of motorcyclists without helmets. i am just absolutely terrified as the driver of a car that i'm going to get into an accident with them, they won't have a helmet on, will die as a consequence, and i'm going to have to live with the guilt of that for the rest of my life.

part of me doesn't like these laws, because if you want to put your life in danger, go ahead. but the other part of me knows how i feel when i drive into SC and there are all sorts of motorcyclists without helmets. i am just absolutely terrified as the driver of a car that i'm going to get into an accident with them, they won't have a helmet on, will die as a consequence, and i'm going to have to live with the guilt of that for the rest of my life.

For me these laws are definitely more about protecting the other person that might be involved.

Personally, I don't give a shit if I see motorcyclists riding without helmets. They're adults, and whether their IQ is 80 or 140, they are capable of making their own decisions about whether or not to wear a helmet, as long as they know that their skull will probably fracture like an egg shell if they ever wreck.

What gets me is how many kids I see who don't wear helmets when they ride their bikes. I get that kids probably don't think helmets are cool, but as a parent it's your responsibility to duct tape that fucking thing to their head if they don't like it.

girl in your avatar should have wearing a helmet.

What gets me is how many kids I see who don't wear helmets when they ride their bikes. I get that kids probably don't think helmets are cool, but as a parent it's your responsibility to duct tape that fucking thing to their head if they don't like it.

wow really? For just a bike?

See a couple head traumas from kids not wearing helmets on bikes and you'll understand.

Correct. The risk of serious head trauma goes up like 85% when helmets are removed. And speed isn't as much of a factor as you might think.

large_ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-sexual-assault-lawsuit-721.jpg

Back