• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Walton: Love him or hate him?

Love or Hate Walton

• Total voters
He does zero preparation. Which is fine, I guess, considering he focuses on the Pac10 most of the time. It's just annoying that he has strong opinions on things he knows nothing about.

Agree that he is enjoyable doing non-Wake Forest games... He just makes WAY too many statements that are factually incorrect for me to enjoy him covering Wake Forest.

Yeah, but he's really self-confident when he's making his mistakes or saying his inanities. So, there's that.

Bill Walton the announcer - trending to hate, enough so that I'll click that option.
Bill Walton the healthy player - loved loved loved that guy, beautiful to watch. Unfortunately there were only about 2-3 seasons of him at full strength.

I get the sense that he reads off of Wikipedia pages during the broadcast.

Speaking extemporaneously for long periods of time on national television is hard.

He does zero preparation. Which is fine, I guess, considering he focuses on the Pac10 most of the time. It's just annoying that he has strong opinions on things he knows nothing about.

Agree that he is enjoyable doing non-Wake Forest games... He just makes WAY too many statements that are factually incorrect for me to enjoy him covering Wake Forest.

The thing that really got to me was his rambling on about how the foul of VH was flagrant, while the refs were right there at the monitors in front of him. Kind of bull shit if you ask me.

Comparing Bob Dylan and Kevin McHale, 3 minutes in. Then the zinger on McHale and his Frankenstein look.

1528704915-Abe_Lincoln_marijuana.jpg

I get the sense that he reads off of Wikipedia pages during the broadcast.

Speaking extemporaneously for long periods of time on national television is hard.

The Wikipedia thing has been proven. He's done it in the past. It is embarrassing.

He also criticized Manning for not putting someone on the inbounding passer at the end of the game. However, DT who was playing safety instead of guarding the inbounding passer is the one who intercepted the pass. I can see both strategies working. Still hilarious.

That said, I loved the Indiana guys "pin point" inbounds pass where instead of throwing it in baseball style, he heaved it up from his waist grenade launching style. Very not accurate.

I think he's a hilarious dude that I enjoy listening to for short stretches. He's painful to listen to for an entire game. Completely bonkers and brain fried.

This is about where I am.

Funny dude. He must have brought out that "I love Maui" non-sequiter six or seven times last night. And his repeatedly asking for an injury report on Mitoglou, clearly not having researched how bad the dude is at defense, was a pretty solid running joke.

He is a harmless fool.

At one point during the first half this was his uninterrupted:

"Wake Forest is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It used to be a tobacco town, but the economy changed a lot. Now it is much more about banking and textiles. Michael Jordan's Hanes company is there and Wells Fargo bought Wachovia. I love Maui."

I'm not making that up. That actually happened and I couldn't stop laughing.

I love Maui. I love Maui Jim

When they panned to the broadcasters and Boog was already sick of it and Walton had the sunglasses and the 5 o clock shadow I started dying laughing

I dig Walton. He was in the cattle line right beside us trying to get out of the Santa Clara Fare Thee Well show. Really just one of the guys.

I dig Walton. He was in the cattle line right beside us trying to get out of the Santa Clara Fare Thee Well show. Really just one of the guys.

You could easily see him on the broadcast about 40ft from the stage...

My favorite Walton line was how he said we simply couldn't rebound and there was nothing that we could do about it.

Of course, we won on the boards 43-30.

When the camera found Dave Odom....

" What a great Wake coach who recruited Tim Duncan and Chris Paul "

:eek:

I thought it was hilarious but we were playing well. If it was a neutral game where I didn't care about the outcome,
I'd be cringing. I felt bad for Sciambi having to keep the broadcast on the rails. Hope he got hazard pay for that one.

I just got in to catch the last few minutes of the game. I voted hate, but that's mostly because his voice and manner of speaking start to grate on your nerves after an hour or so. But in terms of substance, he's a bizarre mix of right on and way off. He rightly criticized some of our and Indiana's TOs and Indiana's shot selection in the last few minutes, but the above comment about the history of Winston-Salem followed by I love Maui is vintage Walton.

He went to the pyramids with the Grateful Dead...what's not to like?

He was an asshat last night. I think his Maui Jim sunglasses were a result of Maui Wowie before the game. His out of left field questions were bizarre. ''Have you ever been to Greece? You need to get out more.'' Reminded me of the pilot from Airplane. ''Do you like gladiator movies?''. Every reference made to basketball players was at least 20 years out of date. Its like he has not watched (or at least retained... maui wowie) a single basketball game this decade. He was nuts about the Van Horn foul. I liked when the co-host called him out about that type of foul when he was playing ball. I tried to just tune him out. Wanted to turn off the volume but I like actually hearing the ballgame.

He was an asshat last night. I think his Maui Jim sunglasses were a result of Maui Wowie before the game. His out of left field questions were bizarre. ''Have you ever been to Greece? You need to get out more.'' Reminded me of the pilot from Airplane. ''Do you like gladiator movies?''. Every reference made to basketball players was at least 20 years out of date. Its like he has not watched (or at least retained... maui wowie) a single basketball game this decade. He was nuts about the Van Horn foul. I liked when the co-host called him out about that type of foul when he was playing ball. I tried to just tune him out. Wanted to turn off the volume but I like actually hearing the ballgame.

Tonight Walton might say" wake getting beat on the boards again. Games are won with offense. Jim , have you ever seen a grown man naked?".

Back