• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Walton: Love him or hate him?

Love or Hate Walton

• Total voters
There are 23 people who hate him? What is 23 people who will never be in my kitchen.

When the camera found Dave Odom....

" What a great Wake coach who recruited Tim Duncan and Chris Paul "

:eek:

Odom started recruiting Chris Paul when he was in 8th grade. Skip landed him of course but Odom laid the groundwork much like he did for Justin Gray and Eric Williams.

He was an asshat last night. I think his Maui Jim sunglasses were a result of Maui Wowie before the game. His out of left field questions were bizarre. ''Have you ever been to Greece? You need to get out more.'' Reminded me of the pilot from Airplane. ''Do you like gladiator movies?''. Every reference made to basketball players was at least 20 years out of date. Its like he has not watched (or at least retained... maui wowie) a single basketball game this decade. He was nuts about the Van Horn foul. I liked when the co-host called him out about that type of foul when he was playing ball. I tried to just tune him out. Wanted to turn off the volume but I like actually hearing the ballgame.

He even mentioned Maui Wowie on the air. The dude was high, although that may be a permanent condition for him.

Walton sucks, but most of the alternatives also suck

IU just jumped out on St John's & he commented that today is even a better opponent. Hard to imagine sitting through the Vandy/STJ & Wake/IU games then coming to the conclusion that STJ is a better team than Wake.

IU just jumped out on St John's & he commented that today is even a better opponent. Hard to imagine sitting through the Vandy/STJ & Wake/IU games then coming to the conclusion that STJ is a better team than Wake.

uo6gs.jpg

Wore his sunglasses all broadcast. Awesome.

Not so awesome: Saying twice that Wake had given up when it was a 4 point game. And continually calling Bryant "Brian."

His schtick - and that's exactly what it is - got old very quickly. Just annoying to listen to, especially when the PBP guy is trying to call the game.

I hope he's doing our game tonight, it will be 2.5 hours later in the day, so Bill will be extra stoned by then.

I like him. Less so when he calls Deacon games, but he is entertaining. I found myself yelling for him to shut up several times during gameplay, though. Last night was not his finest work, and i think he just doesn't spend time getting to know a lot of east coast teams.

I like him. Less so when he calls Deacon games, but he is entertaining. I found myself yelling for him to shut up several times during gameplay, though. Last night was not his finest work, and i think he just doesn't spend time getting to know a lot of east coast teams.

Would he even remember anything if he did do research?

I like him. Less so when he calls Deacon games, but he is entertaining. I found myself yelling for him to shut up several times during gameplay, though. Last night was not his finest work, and i think he just doesn't spend time getting to know a lot of anything.

FIFY

I understand the different points of view - he clearly is off base and/or dated on many facts , opinions, etc. I certainly would not want to listen to him every single game. That is what made the night so fun in that I did not expect him to be calling the game. And I knew this was likely one of the extremely few we'll get with him aboard. When I saw him come on with his Maui Jim's and pulling from my memory bank of his over-the-top, stream-of-consciousness style, I KNEW we'd all be in for a fun night. And boy did he not disappoint. Very much unlike listening to a typical "announcer". On the other hand, very much like he's sitting in the stands, watching a basketball game and having a conversation with a couple of his better friends which invariably leads to: a bit of game commentary, a bit of reminiscing, a bit of talking old-school WF basketball, and a lot of conversation having nothing to do with basketball. All I know is I laughed, smiled, chuckled, repeated lines more than anytime I can remember during a WF game and my face hurt afterwards from it all. And for that (regardless of all the excellent points pointing out the negative about Billy) I say I am very thankful.

He is a harmless fool.

At one point during the first half this was his uninterrupted:

"Wake Forest is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It used to be a tobacco town, but the economy changed a lot. Now it is much more about banking and textiles. Michael Jordan's Hanes company is there and Wells Fargo bought Wachovia. I love Maui."

I'm not making that up. That actually happened and I couldn't stop laughing.

I enjoyed this anecdote:

"You know what they say: If the doctor tells you that you have a minute to live, you want to spend it at a basketball game"

I was amused by his 5 minute explanation of the 3 stages of whatever it was and how the announcer would just interject every 30 seconds or so an update on the game.

Back