• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

i mean, maybe this is my last shred of naivety hanging on but i just can't believe that in the US every major media outlet is agreeing to button up about something

what does "media blackout" mean
The media essentially ignored this until yesterday. The derailment happened on February 3rd. First mention I can find on NPR was February 6th. Three days to report an absolutely massive and devastating chemical pollution spill? Seems protracted to me.

I don't think the media was in cahoots, but it has been woefully underreported. I saw it on Twitter, but through folks I follow, not a major media site.

The media essentially ignored this until yesterday. The derailment happened on February 3rd. First mention I can find on NPR was February 6th. Three days to report an absolutely massive and devastating chemical pollution spill? Seems protracted to me.

This is from the morning of February 4.

I don't think the media was in cahoots, but it has been woefully underreported. I saw it on Twitter, but through folks I follow, not a major media site.
Let’s be real here - every mass shooting gets immediate national coverage, but a train full of toxic chemicals derails and blows up and an entire region is evacuated, and it doesn’t make national news for days-weeks?? There has to be something bigger there. I have a Facebook feed of updates telling me about Ashton Kutchers making a weird face on the runway to an awards show.

Last edited:
This is from the morning of February 4.

My point still stands.

I mean, i stand corrected.

Media black out is definitely over stated, but, this thing has definitely been under reported. I think mainly because of the spy balloon.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I think it's just poor prioritization of the media as a whole instead of a conspiracy theory. The spy balloon thing was all the rage, and Americans have the attention span/memory of a goldfish.

To be fair, what did anyone think would happen after they named a town East Palestine? Not exactly forecasting sunshine and roses for that place.

It was covered like a train accident that happened during the spy balloon hype through the State of the Union. Important things don’t get covered all the time. Let’s not treat incompetence as a conspiracy.

People from Ohio are going to use this as an excuse to move to the Carolinas.

It was covered like a train accident that happened during the spy balloon hype through the State of the Union. Important things don’t get covered all the time. Let’s not treat incompetence as a conspiracy.
I don’t know what you mean by “incompetence” in this context. A national media ecosystem choosing to downplay and ignore a major transportation-ecological disaster isn’t a matter of competence, it’s censorship. It isn’t as if someone at CNN/ABC/Fox just spilled a cup of coffee on a laptop somewhere.

"the media isn't reporting on this enough" is my least favorite form of media criticism

imo you're blaming ad-driven media when they're usually a barometer for public appetite

part of it might be access to the site, part of it might be the railroad PR clamping down, but imo nationally Americans just have a limit to caring if a rust belt town of 4k has to evacuate and we fuck the biome up and the skies rain acid down over there

our modern culture tends to be pretty okay with sacrificial shit like that

but I don't think that's the media's fault, and I certainly don't think this lack-of-action by the media is abnormal, and I definitely don't think the answer is CNN needs wall-to-wall coverage of this especially since they're barely capable of being critical in the first place

just some thoughts since I teach media and I live an hour away from the hellscape Norfolk Southern has created for us

This isn’t complicated -The lack of coverage implies that the event isn’t a big deal, yet is seems like a pretty big fucking deal when you learn anything about it.

"the media isn't reporting on this enough" is my least favorite form of media criticism

imo you're blaming ad-driven media when they're usually a barometer for public appetite
that is a fucking cop out if I’ve ever heard one, as if these major media conglomerates don’t have any prerogative or jurisdiction over their own content. It’s not fucking Democratic in the slightest - they drive content

Back