• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

I like that ruling, just wish they would stop acting like only the Biden campaign coordinated with social media when Trump did it too.

when the Biden campaign did it it was not any First Amendment issue since he was a private citizen

I like that ruling, just wish they would stop acting like only the Biden campaign coordinated with social media when Trump did it too.
I would like the ruling more if social media companies actually could self moderate without someone having to flag the awful shit for them to take it down. But as it is that’s the only way to get them to take something down. I think from a public health standpoint it’s really important for the government to be able to notify companies when misinformation is being spread

I think our government agencies should be able to help social media to identify harmful misinformation and disinformation about things like an infectious pandemic.

Fabien Levy, a spokesman for the mayor, did not dispute that Mr. Adams had shown a photo to The Times and at the police ceremony that had been recently created by a City Hall aide.

Mr. Levy criticized The Times for what he characterized as a “campaign to paint the mayor as a liar.”

The campaign to paint the mayor as a liar seems to consist of reporting examples of the mayor lying.

Getting a lot of articles on Zuckerberg funding to defund the police while spending $10 mil a year on private security

From what I’ve seen, those kind of RW talking points are similar to the Soros variety.

Zuck is not funding antifa. Nor are legit abolitionist groups taking billionaire money.

Take the story at face value, but it wasn't hard to find.

The tech tycoon’s company has spent more than $40 million on Zuckerberg’s personal security over the past three years — while at the same time his family-run foundation has donated millions of dollars to groups that want to defund or even abolish the police.

Since 2020, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) has donated $3 million to PolicyLink, the organization behind DefundPolice.org, according to investigative reporter Lee Fang.

The anti-cop group boasts on its website that its funds efforts to “diminish the role of policing in communities, and empower alternative visions for public safety,” though it fails to list what those substitutes may be.

which charities are promoting defunding initiatives? there aren't many progressive-leaning charities in the US.
yah, reading it a bit closer the donations are more towards parent companies

Meanwhile, Zuckerberg's philanthropic venture, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative, has also reportedly spent some $3 million in contributions to the company behind DefundPolice.org, Policy Link, during the same period. Another $2.5 million have gone to Solidaire, which in turn funds some 150 activist groups, among them The Movement for Black Lives and Black Lives Matter DC, which have both respectively called to defund police.

Are those "parent companies" or groups that donate to a wide variety of causes?

Are those "parent companies" or groups that donate to a wide variety of causes?
PolicyLink's About page (https://www.policylink.org/about-us):

PolicyLink is a national research and action institute advancing racial and economic equity by Lifting Up What Works®.

PolicyLink seeks to deliver and scale results in the following arenas:

• Equitable Economy: Promote economic inclusion and ownership to eliminate poverty, shrink inequality, and increase mobility.
  • Healthy Communities of Opportunity: Create and maintain opportunity-rich communities in all neighborhoods and all regions of the country through strong networks and social capital, equitable development, and infrastructure investments that enable low-income people and communities of color to thrive.
  • Just Society: Build power and expand agency to ensure that all systems and institutions are just, free of racial bias, and lead to a vibrant democracy where all, especially the most vulnerable, can participate and prosper.
Sounds like a broad advocacy org.

Back