• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Like, JFC the insinuation that people don't want to work as hard as possible to get ahead when they are younger is just flagrantly stupid. We were all that age once and I am certain every one of us was trying to figure out how to get ahead.
My hypothesis is that older generations define “hard work” mostly with mindless repetitive drudgery, where younger people expect to be inspired by their tasks and resent drudgery. It’s the difference between defining “hard work” by enduring burden or defining it by complex problem solving. Society has pounded into our brains that drudgery is inefficient and meant to be avoided through innovation, not embraced.

My hypothesis is that older generations define “hard work” mostly with mindless repetitive drudgery, where younger people expect to be inspired by their tasks and resent drudgery. It’s the difference between defining “hard work” by enduring burden or defining it by complex problem solving. Society has pounded into our brains that drudgery is inefficient and meant to be avoided through innovation, not embraced.

I can get with that. I also think there is a whole lot of "back in my day" as we all get older.

I can get with that. I also think there is a whole lot of "back in my day" as we all get older.

There already is. Ask an older millennial about Gen Z influencers.

like in accounting for instance, you didn't have computer programs to do all of the repetitive calculations.

Yeah - tried to find it to post here, but I read an article that basically quoted previous generations (Greatest about boomers, silent about gen x, boomers about millennials, even quotes from antiquity - Aristotle, etc.) that were saying the exact same thing. Every generation romanticizes their own youth and generation's qualities/values and sees current youth as not as with it their own.

My mom often reminded me that once when I was in elementary school the work assigned (math and spelling work) seemed so easy compared to what she did when she was in school, bemoaning the erosion of standards. Then she found one of her elementary textbooks, and they were the exact same words and math problems.

Nowadays parents and grandparents complain they can’t help 4th graders with math but think something’s wrong with the child’s education.

Nowadays parents and grandparents complain they can’t help 4th graders with math but think something’s wrong with the child’s education.

That's because we've forgotten most of that shit by now.

Yeah - tried to find it to post here, but I read an article that basically quoted previous generations (Greatest about boomers, silent about gen x, boomers about millennials, even quotes from antiquity - Aristotle, etc.) that were saying the exact same thing. Every generation romanticizes their own youth and generation's qualities/values and sees current youth as not as with it their own.

My mom often reminded me that once when I was in elementary school the work assigned (math and spelling work) seemed so easy compared to what she did when she was in school, bemoaning the erosion of standards. Then she found one of her elementary textbooks, and they were the exact same words and math problems.
Oh, god yes. I remember as a teen sitting in church before Sunday School with a bunch of old men in the back pews (WW2 vets mostly) and listening to them complain about my generation (Gen X) as being lazy, soft, addicted to video game arcades, disrespectful, and all the rest. It's rather disappointing now that Gen X is in their 50s and 60s to hear them doing the same damn thing, except now I see it on facebook and other social media. And it's the exact same stuff I heard back then - younger people today don't want to work hard, they're wild and reckless, they don't like their music or dress or appearance, pretty much everything was better back in the day, people had higher standards back then, etc. Many of the people I know who are saying these things are having health issues or other problems related to getting older, and I think in the end they complain because of exactly what you said - it's not because younger generations really are inferior, the truth is they don't like them because they're still young and healthy and have their lives ahead of them. There's an awful lot of bitterness in the posts I see, and the bottom line is that many of these folks are getting old and hate it, and they definitely romanticize the 1970s and 80s as some kind of forgotten golden age.

Last edited:
I mean most of this music is pretty shitty though. Who you got, Drake or Dre?
But the "greatest generation" would have argued, "Who you got, Dre or the artists Dre sampled?"

But the "greatest generation" would have argued, "Who you got, Dre or the artists Dre sampled?"
Then you reply: Sorry y'all looked like this

saturday-night-fever-1977.jpg

Noah Smith is terrible.
Have you read a lot of his stuff? He seems pretty reasonable to me, at least the vast majority of the time. He's a pretty normie left of center blogger who also is weirdly into bunnies? I'm sure, like all of the high volume blogger types, he's said some dumb/wrong stuff occasionally too. Just surprised at such a strong opinion.

Not sure it's the case here, but I have noticed it can be pretty easy in our social media bubbles to only see someone from outside that bubble when they are at their most outlandish, because that is when they go viral in other political circles. I know it happened to me some (and probably still does to a lesser extent) before I became more conscious of it and intentionally diversified my feeds. I like Noah, but I'm gonna also read Matt Bruenig (Still think his Family Fun Pack is a fantastic idea), and Brian Reidl (conservative who I disagree with on most stuff but is a smart guy who argues in good faith.

Now if I had to pick a poster to represent me though, gimme James Medlock all day.

First it was egg producers, now chicken and tuna, I’m starting to think companies were just using the pandemic and inflation to price gouge us!!

Back