• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

I didn’t even remember that before centerdeac brought it up. Thanks for the apology though.

I’d love to have a good faith discussion of affirmative action that doesn’t come from a blatantly racist white victimhood narrative.

I don't remember it either, but apparently I hurt his feelings while sticking up for a friend. I make no apology for that.

Anyone being denied admission to Ga Tech was done an enormous karmic favor by the universe. Consider yourself a huge unintended beneficiary of affirmative action.

PhDeac,

I'll take you up on the AA offer. I don't oppose it because of taking away so called white opportunites. I think it helps wealthier minorities, and does little for poorer folks. I'd rather see a socio-economic AA. I do support it in two cases, private places that historically are bleeding talent and the military, especially for officers, for morale and that if you can survive the officer training, there is nothing that can say you aren't qualified.

I don't oppose it because of taking away so called white opportunites. I think it helps wealthier minorities, and does little for poorer folks. I'd rather see a socio-economic AA.
If wealthier minorities are being denied opportunities based on their identity, then they deserve redress and need protection.

Economic segregation and injustice is absolutely an institutional problem that begs attention, but you can’t conflate it with racial prejudice.

The strawman that you can’t solve racism with racial favoritism is an intentional misinterpretation of modern social justice to avoid redressing institutional injustices that require much more than apologies to undue.

Last edited:
Good post but equality isn't "racial favoritism." We're talking about affirmative action, not reparations or some other form of redressing past discrimination.

Good post but equality isn't "racial favoritism." We're talking about affirmative action, not reparations or some other form of redressing past discrimination.
I said it was a strawman. Affirmative action is insidiously cast by its detractors as favoritism of Black Americans, when it isn’t that at all.

Well, African Americans earn 32% less than whites. But those figures are 72,000 to 51,000 in median income. My greater concerns are lifting the 51,000 income (and making them Republicans by the way).

Well, African Americans earn 32% less than whites. But those figures are 72,000 to 51,000 in median income. My greater concerns are lifting the 51,000 income (and making them Republicans by the way).
What does the last bit have to do with anything?

Increasing African American income and decreasing the disparity in incomes will increase positive reaction toward capitalism. It's also more fair.

Increasing African American income and decreasing the disparity in incomes will increase positive reaction toward capitalism. It's also more fair.
Seems like you're admitting that capitalism isn't working for everyone.

Why do you think being Republican has anything to do with economic success or capitalism more generally?

Ph, you are right. It works better than any economic system, but it has flaws.

Lurker, people who are happy with their economics tend to focus on secondary issues African Americans are more socially conservative than you may think. Thus, an economically pleased person may lean more R.

Might want to start by having the leader of your party not call groups of people "animals."

Back