• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billionaire pays off Morehouse graduating class’s student debt

I mean there’s always going to be a caste system. People will be paid more, get benefits, use networking etc... There’s really no way to tell how a college kid is going to translate into a job and the way that it happens now where you are hired by being an alum or know your dads friend doesn’t seem to be a detriment to businesses because well they are all still in business.

i agree; but that doesn't mean poor people and middle class people should buy into the phony dream of paying for a WFU degree as some magic carpet ride

And that’s the problem. As long as people from $70K a year tuition schools have a leg up on public school kids and as long as public school kids have a leg up on CC kids, the value of a college degree will continue to increase and the cost of a college education will increase with it.

Tuition doesn’t increase with inflation like the price of milk because a college education in 2019 is far more valuable and necessary compared to a college education 50 years ago. Meanwhile milk is still milk.

If employers were hiring based on skill and not where people went to school, all of a sudden tuition wouldn’t rise as much and there would be less demand for loans.

What? No.

That's the cart before the horse.

LOL. Could you not see my emoticon through the film of rage over your eyes?

I also had Lewis for Intro, but I sat in the back. Anybody who survived that class in a front-row seat has my lasting admiration.

I’m on Tapatalk.

I don't think anyone would argue that there aren't a lot of philosophy majors who go to law school. Whether those philosophy majors become decent lawyers is a completely separate issue. Obviously anecdotal, but I've found the opposite to be true. Especially people with classical backgrounds that try to go into business, or especially tax, law. The Tribble Warriors get run over in that setting.

Please tell me more about how a philosophy major gets “run over” in the field of tax law. Is it better or worse my other major was history?

Please tell me more about how a philosophy major gets “run over” in the field of tax law. Is it better or worse my other major was history?

I would think philosophers would be able to come up with excellent arguments on why their clients acted honorably in tax situations.

What? No.

That's the cart before the horse.

How so? Things become valuable, therefore they cost more to get. If you price something too high and it's not actually valuable, eventually you'll lower the price.

1. Not hired.
2. If/when hired, work product has to be corrected 5-10 years down the road when someone competent eventually looks at it, hopefully not prompted by an audit.

I'd view history as more relevant than philosophy. Philosophy is great if someone is going to go argue abstract Constitutional Law cases, but that isn't relevant to most lawyers.

1. Not hired.
2. If/when hired, work product has to be corrected 5-10 years down the road when someone competent eventually looks at it, hopefully not prompted by an audit.

I'd view history as more relevant than philosophy. Philosophy is great if someone is going to go argue abstract Constitutional Law cases, but that isn't relevant to most lawyers.

what is the best pre-law degree, counsel?

the "useful" skill philosophy best teaches is how to write lucidly

given the atrocious writing I read on a daily basis, maybe more people should have been philosophy majors

what is the best pre-law degree, counsel?

Depends on what specialization the person wants to go into, but generally one that relates to that specialty. Law school itself (or Bar Bri, depending on your level of cynicism) should then layer the actual lawyer skills on top of that.

Construction law - engineering or architecture
Business law - business/management
Tax law - accounting
Banking law - finance
Criminal law - criminal justice
Environmental law - biology/chemistry
Medmal - pre-med
Car wrecks - physics
Municipal law - public administration

Philosophy is relatively low on the list of relevant subject matters unless the person wants to go into philosophical law, which isn't exactly in demand unless they want to be a professor.

Last edited:
am curious how many personal injury lawyers have an undergraduate major in physics

or malpractice lawyers who were pre-med

Several of the best medmal and PI lawyers have medical backgrounds. I don't know of any with medical backgrounds who aren't really good in those fields, but I know plenty of liberal arts majors who suck in those fields.

Several of the best medmal and PI lawyers have medical backgrounds. I don't know of any with medical backgrounds who aren't really good in those fields, but I know plenty of liberal arts majors who suck in those fields.

i bet stats majors make the best confirmation bias lawyers

being pre-med =/= having a medical background

Back