• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billionaire pays off Morehouse graduating class’s student debt

the two most common post-graduation paths of my philosophy major cohorts were 1) law school and 2) investment banking

the two most common post-graduation paths of my philosophy major cohorts were 1) law school and 2) investment banking

it’s almost like a college like Wake is still an important conduit for social/economic mobility

I don't think anyone would argue that there aren't a lot of philosophy majors who go to law school. Whether those philosophy majors become decent lawyers is a completely separate issue. Obviously anecdotal, but I've found the opposite to be true. Especially people with classical backgrounds that try to go into business, or especially tax, law. The Tribble Warriors get run over in that setting.

So you have no insight on what impact being a philosophy major might have had.

LOL. Could you not see my emoticon through the film of rage over your eyes?

I also had Lewis for Intro, but I sat in the back. Anybody who survived that class in a front-row seat has my lasting admiration.

Sales and knowing how to run a business

Yes, if you define succeed as in make money, however the skills that are required to be good at the job, as in be a good advocate, I would say are reading comprehension, clear writing ability, and public speaking.

Amazing how this thread has gone off topic. But hell, I was an English and History major. Two of the smartest people I met at law school were an engineer and a philosophy major, both of whom joined good firms in DC. I also know a sports marketing major who is now a successful partner in Charlotte.

Good lawyers I have found are made by hard work, not the major they had.

If you go to a top tier school then you can be any major you want, from the hard engineering and business to the joke sociology and communications. You will either be set up for a job through networking, already have connections through family, or will be accepted to a graduate program. If you go to a less than school then you don’t get any of those last things and should chose your major wisely as the chance for success is a much tighter window.

If you go to a top tier school then you can be any major you want, from the hard engineering and business to the joke sociology and communications. You will either be set up for a job through networking, already have connections through family, or will be accepted to a graduate program. If you go to a less than school then you don’t get any of those last things and should chose your major wisely as the chance for success is a much tighter window.

End thread pretty much.

So it’s worth taking out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans to go to a top tier school?

classic dumb WFU alum view

I'll speculate a grossly oversimplified ranking of importance as:

1. Go to topish school and do well.

2. Go to topish school and do OK
2. Go to non-topish school and do well

4. Go to non-topish school and do OK

5. Go to topish school and barely graduate

6. Go to non-topish school and barely graduate

I think once you get your foot into whatever door is next (more school, job, whatever) nobody cares much where you went or even how well you did. It's more about how you do then.

To my thinking, no, I'd not encourage anyone to take out huge loans to go to a top school. If you/your family can afford it and want to send you, great. If not, then go to the best public school that you can get into (with/without 1-2 years first in community college and yes even if you have to borrow) and study what you find most interesting or applicable to whatever you think you'll do occupationally.

So it’s worth taking out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans to go to a top tier school?

Need the definition of top tier, I mean even top 10% is like 500 schools. However which school and what major you choose still matters then. Like why be an education major at a school like Wake?

But you’re just telling the poors that no matter how well they do in college, they’ll never do as well as someone who did OK at a “topish” school.

Why not take out the big loan and attempt to jump castes?

If you guys would just work hard enough to be born with wealthy parents, you wouldn't have to argue about any of this shit.

classic dumb WFU alum view

One of my sisters went to an Ivy (HPY variety) majored in poli sci and now works in finance in NYC. The thing that pisses me off most about her group of friends is that they all majored in whatever they wanted, and can hop around to whatever industry they want. Whether it be from a startup to politics to finance to entertainment. They apply and they get the jobs because of where they went to school. They are all given the benefit of the doubt because of how smart they were at 18, and people think they can learn the industry without a background in it. I am continually amazed at the career paths of these people, because there seems to be no need for a niche or a background in something. Even if they "fail" they can find another company that will scoop them up right away.

So yes, from what I have seen, if you can get in a top tier school, then take out the loans because its fairly likely that the education will be able to pay for itself. Maybe I am being a dumb alum as well, but I can see the benefits of taking out a loan on an education such as that, because of what it can do.

that's not a function of the school, that's a function of their caste (as PH puts it).

a poor person might have the charisma to forge some serious networks at an expensive, elite school but if they do not the name on your bachelor degree fades pretty quickly unless you're a talented human being. people who go for philosophy degrees tend to be thoughtful, well rounded thinkers. a lot moreso than the stack of basic humans pounding out comp sci and accounting degrees. the world does need number crunchers, though

And that’s the problem. As long as people from $70K a year tuition schools have a leg up on public school kids and as long as public school kids have a leg up on CC kids, the value of a college degree will continue to increase and the cost of a college education will increase with it.

Tuition doesn’t increase with inflation like the price of milk because a college education in 2019 is far more valuable and necessary compared to a college education 50 years ago. Meanwhile milk is still milk.

If employers were hiring based on skill and not where people went to school, all of a sudden tuition wouldn’t rise as much and there would be less demand for loans.

You can’t really hire on “skill” for recent college grads though. That’s why a premium education is prized. It (usually) signals a sustained track record of excellence which employers are relying on to distinguish potential high performers from the rest. How else would you suggest evaluating a new grad?

that's not a function of the school, that's a function of their caste (as PH puts it).

a poor person might have the charisma to forge some serious networks at an expensive, elite school but if they do not the name on your bachelor degree fades pretty quickly unless you're a talented human being. people who go for philosophy degrees tend to be thoughtful, well rounded thinkers. a lot moreso than the stack of basic humans pounding out comp sci and accounting degrees. the world does need number crunchers, though

If it was a function of caste, wouldn't I have the same ability? If it did, I would spend alot less time job hunting. You're discounting the benefits of the uber elite schools. I get not wanting to pay 50 grand a year for Southeast Missouri state, but some schools are worth the investment.

Back