• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billy Madison Part II

So, if the head of university security, who served three tours in Iraq and doesn't have a college degree but is more than capable of doing his job, that's okay and nobody cares (nor should they). But the basketball coach who is not a member of the faculty has to have a college degree? Makes no sense to me.

Apples and oranges. The head of university security doesn't spend hours working directly with students to teach them how to be security guards. Nor is he part of a staff that mentors students and assists them with their academic requirements.

All his credits will transfer from Kentucky to Carolina. He could complete his degree in six weeks and not have to leave New York.

Sorry, I'm not buying that. He's not on the basketball team or the football team there. Now, if you said Florida State ... you may have had a legitimate point.

We've been through this. He isn't just coaching basketball. He's coaching basketball at a school. Colleges and universities are asking students to pay thousands of dollars for a degree. It's not a good luck for one of the highest paid employees of that school to not actually have a degree.

So, if the head of university security, who served three tours in Iraq and doesn't have a college degree but is more than capable of doing his job, that's okay and nobody cares (nor should they). But the basketball coach who is not a member of the faculty has to have a college degree? Makes no sense to me.

Is the head of security one of the highest paid and highest profile employees? There is a difference.

Manhattan's administration needs to think about how they'll handle a player getting into academic issues now. Cheating on a test? Blowing off a class? Any of the things that went on at UNC? How do they sit down to discipline a kid going forward with this situation?

I like how they're into the "second chance" thing but Masiello needs to come clean. There is nothing accidental here. No missing paperwork. No unintentional mistake. This was overt, willful, and intentional. So when he has a player fuck up, do they just smile and sweep it under the rug now?

I think Dirk's point is valid. Whether it's a security guard or coach, it's obviously possible to be hugely successful without a college degree. That may not be what colleges want students to see, but I don't think it really matters how much money he makes. The real issue is, as 94 mentioned, the lying part. It's tough to be in a leadership role with this hanging around your neck.

Couldn't Manhattan just award Masiello an honorary doctorate in being an awesome basketball coach? Like Maya Angelou style. Problem solved.

The thing that really bugs me is just how did Masiello think this wouldn't be noticed at some point?! It's far to easy to check credentials in the digital age- getting easier every year. You're either old and ignorant of how computerized records work or young and hopeful no one will notice. Either way, just how did he think this wouldn't be found with even the most basic background check? Shit, most employers want you to submit proof of education.

Back