• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billy Packer has passed away

Most of us only knew him as a commentator and some may not even remember him from that. Here are Packer's college stats to the extent they had stats back then. Starting PG on a Wake Final Four team. Nobody else can say that.

My memories of Billy go back to my childhood. Dad would watch the ACC Game of the week on Saturday by C.D. Chesley and Jim Thacker and Billy Packer were the play-by-play & color team. My father ('53) remembered Billy from his playing days. One day about 1980, I was in an old electronics store (Ed Kelly's), mainly stereos, dreaming of buying one like all my cool friends at Wake had. I was looking at them displayed when a voice behind me said, "Do you know much about these things?". I turned and it was Billy. "I've got a kid at Chapel Hill that wants one." Great conversation ensued.

Last edited:
Hang it….final four, two ACC titles. Billy could be controversial but loved Wake Forest and stood up for Charlie Davis when that stance wasn’t popular
have seen the charlie davis stuff mentioned before, but what's the recap?

Back